7 pounds in 2 days??!!

Options
Hi everyone, I started on My Fitness Pal on Monday morning after a surprising and unpleasant weigh-in at the gym. On Monday morning I stood naked on the scale and weighed 147. That was about 5-10 pounds heavier than I expected, so I decided to start a diet that day. On Monday and yesterday I hunkered down and ate way fewer calories than usual, about 1300 each day. This morning I went back to the gym, weighed myself at the exact same time in the same naked state and I weighed 140 pounds!! Anyone else have such fluctuations? I was hoping I might be at 146, but 140 seems strange. I did get my period this morning as well--maybe that has something to do with it. What do you guys think?

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Likely much of the fluctuation is due to water weight. I typically have a 5lb fluctuation during my TOM.
  • klm23
    klm23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So what would my real weight be? 147 or 140?
  • 33KIKI
    33KIKI Posts: 304
    Options
    Be cautious gym scales are not the most accurate. They get pretty beaten up. Could be that your starting weight was off. I suggest trying another scale. That way you are starting fresh. That amount to drop is a bit drastic in the short time frame. Good luck!
  • austinusn
    austinusn Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi - that does seem a bit excessive but I too can fluctuate 3 pounds or so from day to day. Usually when folks change their diet the first few days is when you can see the biggest results. What kind of working out are you doing at the gym and have you just starting your workouts? Also, how is your water intake?

Good luck and welcome :)
  • ljm0104
    ljm0104 Posts: 42
    Options
    My weight fluctuates about 9 lbs. a day and it could be due to "elimination" or just if you ate really salty foods the day before. Scales in gyms aren't calibrated often and you would be better off just using yours at home. It doesn't matter which scale you use just make sure you use the same scale at the same time of day and you will be good. Good Luck!
  • MMATrainer13
    Options
    Get yourself a digital scale. They are the most accurate. As for 7 lbs. in 2 days, that is not uncommon, especially in the early stages of calorie reducing. I have lost 7-9 lbs. after a 90 minute intense jog. It's more fluid loss then anything else. Make sure to rehydrate. Your weight loss will eventually slow down to a normal 1-2 lbs. a week
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    You should only weigh yourself the same time 1x a week (at most). Highly advised when you wake up in the morning.

I am only 5'3" and after eating a meal, I sometimes can gain anywhere from 4-6 lbs!