“SPIN” must translate to “DEATH” in some foreign language

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
What was I thinking?? WHY on earth did I sign up for a spin class? I should have known, when I saw the size 2 instructor, and all the super fit people preparing for her class, that the word “SPIN” must translate to “DEATH” in some foreign language.

I persevered, though, and got an AMAZING workout!

Couple things I noticed:

1. Most of the class was actually guys. Good looking guys and I kinda felt guilty for sitting in back.
2. About 2 minutes into the class, I forgot about the hot guys and started planning my funeral
3. If you can’t keep up, just go at your own pace and you’ll still sweat
4. This was tough on the knees, but not so tough that I won’t be back.
5. This is also tough on the wrists, but some weightlifting wrist bands helped prevent a carpal tunnel flare-up
6. Don’t worry about how horrid you look. Everyone else looks like something the cat drug in too!

Read the rest of my 1st Spin adventure at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JanieJack/view/-adventures-in-spinning-509728

Replies

• MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love to hate spinning.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Barring any pre-existing condition, the correct bike setup should eliminate most knee issues.

And relax your death grip. You'll need to engage your core to do it, but your wrists will thank you. (I try to tap my fingers to the mosic so as to never grip too tight.
  • rankingfullstop
    rankingfullstop Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use spinning videos at home and follow along on my recumbent trike which is mounted on a kinetic trainer. It's comfortable and I'm sure I get less of a workout than I would on a DF bike but those are out for me due to leg issues. I track my heart rate and zones and that helps a lot. The gym I belonged to offered some longer "super-spin" classes and for those I took in some extra calories during the workout.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've done a spin class a few times and it kicked my butt. Was your bike setup properly in regards to the knee issues?
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    haven't done a spin class in quite a few years, but all I can remember is this...

For the love of Gawwwd and all things holy, go to Walmart and get a PADDED SEAT...it's worth the money. It's worth 10x the money... ouchie... :noway:
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My groin area is still sore from Thursday's class! But will be there tomorrow :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    And relax your death grip. You'll need to engage your core to do it, but your wrists will thank you.

Part of the problem with grip is the bike. The one I was originally on had a handle that goes straight up as you raise it, but the one with the fancy RPM tracker that the instructor moved me to was the type where the handle bar leans further away as you raise it. This made it hard for me to even reach the bars. Next time I will use the other bike that was much more comfortable for me when I was trying them out.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Don't grip the handlebars. Hold them lightly :) I love Spin, I go 4x a week now >_>; The seat gets better after the first few times, but if it doesn't (and it doesn't ever for some people) then I 'd suggest investing in a padded seat.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I searched spinning classes near me and found a lot of these. Thing is my folks recently got some sheep and I was thinking about learning to wool spin. Doh!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Don't grip the handles - you are just supposed to balance yourself when standing. Our spin class always gets cancelled in the spring :sad:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    :laugh: at #2
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love love love spin! Nothing like taking a shower in my own sweat to make my happy!
  • unbeknownst
    unbeknownst Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This post made me crack up.

I used to hate/dread spin. But I really do feel "high" afterwards.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do Spin class 2 times a week and Tabata Spin once a week. I love Spin. I go to an all female gym and most people in the class with me are older than me and about the same size as me. They all go faster but I am getting better. I love the way I feel like passing out after!
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Every time I'm in spin class I wonder why I hadn' bee doing it for years...........truly the best workout high after!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I do Spin class 2 times a week and Tabata Spin once a week. I love Spin. I go to an all female gym and most people in the class with me are older than me and about the same size as me. They all go faster but I am getting better. I love the way I feel like passing out after!

I just did Tabata Spin! Now THAT is one hell of a workout.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My spin studio is having a challenge where you have to do 30 classes in the month of March. I'm 3 classes away from being done!!

My spin classes are usually all women (occasionally one guy) so I'm surprised you had so many men in your class.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i hate to Spin...but i LOVE the results...!!!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love spin as well. When I first started I used to think "any spin class without paramedics is a good spin class." I was lucky to have a teacher in my first class who said "your only goal is to make it to the end, don't worry about anything else." It's the only exercise that's ever given me an endorphin rush - totally worth the pain to get there.

I agree about bike set up. And if that doesn't resolve you knee problems, back off a little with the resistance.

Keep going, and keep enjoying yourself.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My first spin class experience was much like yours! I am not a quitter I would rather kill myself than see other people see me fail/quit...my first spin class was my last...Now that I am in new mindset of fitness I would probably love the torture but I haven't been back in years! Stick with it!