Help with eating my daily cals

Options
Hey,

I'm new to mfp only joined a couple weeks ago. Looking to lose around 50 lbs CW 185, im 5ft4. I was initially given 1200 cals to eat by mfp based on wanting to lose 2lb a week. After deciding to eat at 1700 cals (above my BMR and 20% below my tdee) I am struggling to eat my daily cals.

I am doing 30 day shred most days so around 200 cals extra added too so 1900 most days.

I eat pretty healthily I think, my menu is open. Basically I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with a couple snacks and am still a good 500-600 cals below so looking for some tips on what to eat that would take me there, don't want to start eating junk for the sake of hitting my target. Or should I just eat around 1300-1400 per day?

Thanks

Replies

• sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    don't eat if you aren't hungry but if you want to get your calories up maybe have a glass of wine or fresh juice just to bump it :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    One easy fix is to quit using low fat, no fat, low cal foods. Eat full fat dairy for the same volume but more calories. A few nuts add a calorie punch as well.

Also you could lower your calorie intake for the first 10 to 20 lbs since you have quite a bit to lose.
  • boldlol
    boldlol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can fill in some fast and healthy cals with any kinds of nuts very easily. when u got x cals left after your dinner just fill them up with nuts. my suggestion
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm new to mfp only joined a couple weeks ago. Looking to lose around 50 lbs CW 185, im 5ft4. I was initially given 1200 cals to eat by mfp based on wanting to lose 2lb a week. After deciding to eat at 1700 cals (above my BMR and 20% below my tdee) I am struggling to eat my daily cals.

I am doing 30 day shred most days so around 200 cals extra added too so 1900 most days.

I eat pretty healthily I think, my menu is open. Basically I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with a couple snacks and am still a good 500-600 cals below so looking for some tips on what to eat that would take me there, don't want to start eating junk for the sake of hitting my target. Or should I just eat around 1300-1400 per day?

Thanks

Since you've calculated your BMR and TDEE and are already eating at a deficit of your TDEE as determined by your 20%... Don't eat back your workout calories... it's counterintuitive...!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Agreed - with TDEE you don't eat back the exercise cals, assuming you figured them in your activity level when calculating TDEE.

As for meeting your daily goal, you don't have to eat junk food or stuff your face to get more calories in - eat more calorie dense foods like nuts and nut butters, avocado, whole eggs, full fat dairy, olive and coconut oils for cooking & salad dressings, etc. Dipping apple slices in a tablespoon of peanut butter is delicious and an easy 100+ cals right there. A handful of walnuts on morning oatmeal, adding avocado to any meal, things like that add up quickly, without stuffing you full.
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks on the not eating exercise cals with the 20%-tdee, still getting to grips with it all really.

Will try the nuts and full fat dairy. Thanks v much :)