Tried almost everything

Hi everyone. I am one of those people who have tried just about everything in order to lose weight and become more healthy in general. I have been seeing a personal trainer for many months now, but I can't seem to get to a point where I make regular exercise a habit. Although I am not at my highest weight ever ( 285), my current weight of 263 needs to be reduced. I am in my mid forties and I feel like the clock is ticking. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    I have found OA (Overeaters Anonymous) to be very helpful, and the books of Geneen Roth. I've concluded that whether I like it or not, I have an addiction to the taste of sweet, fats, grains and volume. I eat over everything. Dieting no longer works. I'm getting too old to try and remove the fat through excersize (it hurts), so it's time to turn inward and take a look at whatever is eating me that forces me to eat. I am concluding that a VERY high percentage of overeaters were abused in childhood, usually physically. That cannot be addressed without support. So, this time around I am focusing on guerilla self-care and treating whatever unfolds with curious affection. I have no other door to walk through, except the morgue.
  • EMAW22
    EMAW22 Posts: 2
    I have tried everything as far as diets, joining the gym, getting friends to help me, I have found YOU have to be ready ! :wink:
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    The simple answer is commitment and patience. They are the most important keys to getting where you wanna be. I think mostly anyone who has lost weight has been in your spot. I've been back and forth between 280 and 350 for the last couple years. It;s a constant battle and the only way to ever get past it is to fully committ. You don't have to give your life to it if you are busy. All it takes is eating better and about 30 minutes to an hour of exercise a few times a week.
  • Thank everyone for the advice. I agree you have to be ready. I feel like I am..but I've felt like that in the past..and do well until something throws me off track.
    Brownsbacker..I hear you on commitment. That's the piece I really need to work on. I need to make exercising a priority.
  • ImPerfectSoRU
    ImPerfectSoRU Posts: 9 Member
    I understand your struggle, as someone who has been on that roller-coaster. I am starting again. Today is the only day I have to think about how I am doing- Not what I did or didn't do yesterday, last week or last year. By focusing on the past (usually the "failures") puts me in a negative mindset for the day. I have over a hundred lbs to lose but that's not my goal. Eating healthy and exercising today is my focus. Today is a good day. We only have today to make choices. Perhaps we can encourage each other. :heart: