My Plan: Do What Works!!

Options
After three months of seeing a nutritionist and life coach biweekly, I am now finished with the program having GAINED ten pounds! I knew what worked for me and what had worked for me in the past, but I decided to follow my life coach and dump my frozen diet meals and string cheese for new complicated recipes, food that I don't like at all, and unrealistic meals!

I am a 19-year-old college junior. I'm 5'5 and 143 lbs! This is the most I've weighed in my whole life. Although I can still (tightly squeeze) into my size 2/4 and 27/28 jeans, I am not at all satisfied with the way I look right now.

My goal is 120lbs. It is a number that I haven't seen on the scale since middle school and I am hoping to reach this goal sometime in May.

I learned a lot from my life coach, I've tried tons of new vegetables, beans, etc, I've learned a lot about healthy eating and living, and I've learned a lot about living a balanced lifestyle. However, as a college student, I balance school, a sorority, a job, an internship, a social life and hobbies and other organizations. Not to mention, you have to throw in nutrition and exercise. That's a lot. It's not realistic for me to be making complicated meals with lots of ingredients on a regular basis.

My new plan is to do what works for me! In the past what has worked for me is simply, portion control. In high school, there was a period of time where I was leading a very 'skinny' lifestyle (I avoid staying healthy, because It was not low in salt, carbs, etc). I was running 2-3 miles per day, I was eating eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and a Lean Cuisine for dinner. I would snack on popcorn, pickles, string cheese. I would also indulge occasionally. I never deprived myself, but I was able to taste everything that I wanted and have all the things I want, but everything was in moderation. That's what my plan is again.

I plan to use frozen diet meals, (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, Healthy Choice, Kashi, Amy's Organics), along with fruits, vegetables, low-fat cottage cheese, string cheese, oatmeal, etc.

Replies

• adzubak
    adzubak Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I understand the busy college lifestyle very well. I kept myself busy with 3 majors in undergrad on top of my sorority, research, and other clubs. I'm a freshman in graduate school now, so when I am not in class I am almost always studying. However, the difference for me is that I am going to school on an island where the diet frozen meals are limited if available at all. However, I've managed to make some really yummy (and quick!) meals since I started on here a few weeks ago. My diary is open so feel free to take a look, or add me as a friend if you'd like. :)
  • nashvillegirl1414
    Options
    Totally! Looks like you are doing really well! Thanks for replying!
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I do hear what you're saying. Sometimes I think nutritionists want to sell us on a lot of exotic stuff -- quinoa and kohlrabi and what-all. And I get why they do, but it's not that realistic for someone with a busy schedule to cook something totally different, with a main dish and two vegetable dishes every night!
    When I started (this time), it was actually early January. I started on Phase 1 South Beach and didn't track. Once I got through a couple of weeks, I started working out. Then in early Feb I started tracking, and I weighed myself mid-February. But my point is that I was cooking all kinds of things in January. Eggplant. Cabbage. Just all kinds of stuff. And I honestly don't have time for that during the week.
    But I did figure out something that worked for me. On Sunday night, I get a big club pack of chicken breasts and broil them. I just stick 'em in the fridge in ziploc bags. And I have all kinds of things I make out of chicken on the fly and zap in the microwave. Usually once a week I make a big batch of chili with 99% fat free turkey. I discovered mashed cauliflower, and I discovered flaxmeal "cup muffins". (the flaxmeal is mad good for you, btw) So I tend to eat the same things a lot, but that's ok. They are things that work, and things that I like. Three or four days a week, I have light and fit greek yogurt and nuts for lunch. One or two, I will get Chipotle, which I love, and it works pretty well in my macros.
    I don't think that there is anything wrong with a frozen meal, in theory. But there are ways that you can get set up with good options that aren't more time-consuming, and that may be both healthier and more filling. Even just adding a piece of fruit or one kind of veg that comes from a big tupperware you make up for the week works. It doesn't have to be three different meals every day like the glossy spreads in Shape magazine ;)
  • nashvillegirl1414
    Options
    I mean overall I enjoyed the whole nutritionist/life coach experience, but it is nearly impossible for me to shop at Whole Foods right now (it's in the BUSIEST part of town with super confusing parking), and although I did find out that I like some of these exotic, it's just not realistic right now. I had my first Lean Cuisine in over a month and I remembered: I LOVE my frozen diet meals! They are quick, easy, delicious and teach you portion control. You do have to eat a veggie side or fruit with them, but it's the same concept of Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig.. portion control. I'd rather eat my tiny frozen diet meal with a little bowl of steamed broccoli than a whole bucket of kale, any day. I'd rather eat what I love in small portions and be satisfied, then eat what I hate in large amount and be left craving!

I gained weight while seeing a nutritionist because I was trying to deprive myself of the foods I like rather than eating them in moderation. After I would eat my giant salads or whatever, I would go to the store and buy stuff to make loads of pasta or bagels and cream cheese or cookie dough! It didn't work for me. lol

You gotta just do YOU! :)

I found these videos on Healthy Choice.com while searching for coupons! Aren't they funny? What do you all think?

http://www.healthychoice.com/live-healthy