TIGHTNESS ON LOWER BACK LEG WHEN RUNNING

Options
I started the c25k recently and I had a hard time running because the lower back part of my leg got too tight. Can anybody give me any running tips or what to do for the pain? I sometimes get the pain when I walk a long distance too. Thank you guys!!

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    OMG! I was feeling the same thing today! And I agree, it happens when I take long walks too. I'd like to hear answers too.
  • piggybunny89
    piggybunny89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    lol anyone???
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Stretch more?
  • clpeterson11
    clpeterson11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would focus on strengthening your ankles a bit. They could be contributing to your leg pain in the first place, and then to combat it after you exercise I would focus on really stretching out your calf and achilles tendon. :) You can strengthen your ankles by using resistance bands. Wrap them around your toes, apply tension by holding the other end of the band near your chest, and slowly use the flexion of your foot to pull on the resistance band. You can also "write" the letters of the alphabet with your foot pointed against the resistance of the bands. Those exercises really helped to strengthen and rehab my ankles after some hockey and soccer injuries.

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me with any questions or anything or if you need any clarification. :)
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried C25K, I tried to run fast right away, and strained a hamstring. I ended up having to take a few days off and starting over again. The focus should be on completing your run interval, even if you're going barely faster than a walk. You want to build up the muscles of your legs, your heart, and your lung capacity. Speed will come later.

Sounds like you have tight calf muscles. I did too! After a few weeks of running, these should loosen up, but until then, try calf stretches.
    1) Drink plenty of water, an hour or so before you run.
    2) Stand with one foot in front of the other. Lean forward with hands against a wall, press down with the back heel, and bend the back leg.
    3) Stand on stairs, with your front leg one or two steps higher than the back leg. Let your back heel hang off the step. Keeping your back leg straight and your back heel dropping, bend your front knee and lean forward slightly.

Good luck! Have fun!