Sucess w Paleo diet?

Hi! Ive lost about 15 lbs so far, mainly by calorie counting abnd cutting out gluten..was wondering if anyone has had sucess w the paleo diet? My only concern is the high calorie content...thanks!!!

Replies

• AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    You can eat whatever calorie amount you want on the Paleo diet. If anything, I find it more filling for me because it's heavily protein based. Protein and carbs have the exact same amount of calories, so that shouldn't be an issue. I haven't lost a lot of weight on Paleo, but I've lost inches and I feel so much better. I know others who have lost lots of weight though. It all depends on the person, I think, but I think it's a great option. Check out the Paleo forum. It's great. :)
  • tracygreenw
    tracygreenw Posts: 7 Member
    thanks! Im new to the forums, will check it out!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Hi! Ive lost about 15 lbs so far, mainly by calorie counting abnd cutting out gluten..was wondering if anyone has had sucess w the paleo diet? My only concern is the high calorie content...thanks!!!

what do you mean when you say "high"? personally i feel that paleo is actually more calorie restrictive since most foods besides nuts, seeds and fat are not very calorically dense.

feel free to check out my diary for ideas, and head on over to marksdailyapple.com for other awesome information.

congrats on your 15 pounds!
  • I think the Paleo/primal diet is very healthy because of the heavy dose of veggies you consume instead of grain products. If you stick with healhty fats like nuts and avocado and eat your protein requirement, it's almost impossible to overeat.

My one complaint about a lot of sites are the "fakes". I think trying to make a paleo brownie or a primal french toast is sort of silly and counter-productive. The world is full of fantastic healthy foods as alternatives.

Best of luck!
  • tracygreenw
    Thanks! Also thank you for the diary view...I guess I dont really have a sense of a true Paleo lifestyle...I also noticed you are a beachbody coach...Im a huge insanity and Turbofire fan! Getting back into it after baby #3...
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    ive seen a lot of ppls doing paleo diet what is it?
  • tracygreenw
    Yes i understand what you mean...I made a "paleo" apple cake and "paleo" brownies but they were both very high in calories
  • CoachReddy
    Yes i understand what you mean...I made a "paleo" apple cake and "paleo" brownies but they were both very high in calories

ahhh ok - yeah paleo recipes can end up high in calories because of the amount of fats - fortunately they're good fats! :)

check out that site i listed above. it's a GREAT source for beginners looking to get a handle on the paleo lifestyle. Mark Sisson is a wealth of information!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member

Primal/paleo is like it says. Neolithic brownies? Neanderthal apple pie? Probably not.
    It's a lifestyle change that works for some. Worked for me. Is better not to be for or against any particular nutritional strategy until
    you personally understand what works for you. Go Team.
  • CoachReddy
    ive seen a lot of ppls doing paleo diet what is it?

a dietary lifestyle of unprocessed whole foods based off what we presume our ancestors ate most: meat, fish, poultry, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds and fat (animal fats, olive oil, avocado, coconut - not refined vegetable oils)

typically restricted foods are: grains, dairy and legumes

some versions of paleo (called primal) use full-fat dairy and butter
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member

I have to restrict those anyway because of IBS, so I guess I was looking for a Paleo diet without realizing it.

Too bad there are a bunch of fruits and veggies I can't eat much of either. Oh well, c'est la vie.
  • CoachReddy

I have to restrict those anyway because of IBS, so I guess I was looking for a Paleo diet without realizing it.

Too bad there are a bunch of fruits and veggies I can't eat much of either. Oh well, c'est la vie.

aw HELL no. ain't no "oh well's" if you don't want 'em!

if you're willing to look into natural remedies, i could point you to some resources that may help you with your IBS
  • Karenlynnpierce
    Karenlynnpierce Posts: 4 Member
    I tried Paleo bread and did not really like it....not sure about the diet program.
  • I've lost 23 pounds so far eating mostly Paleo (I'm compliant about 80% of the time). I love it! I know it's not for everyone but it works for me! :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Glad you have found a plan that works for you...One poster said you can eat as many calories as you want...I disagree...You still have to be in a calorie deficit but as Reddy said with the food choices available it should be easy to acheive a calorie deficit.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    you should listen to the smarter science of slim podcast, it's not paleo, but has lots of sciene of behind it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    I am Paleo-ish. (not perfect) My macros are 50Fat/30Pro/20Carb and I cut out most grains and starchy veggies. But I also keep within a calorie goal. Eating the way I do, helps keep me from being hungry and craving the junk carbs, so I can easily stay under where I need to be. It also has been great for my arthritis and autoimmune inflammation, and hormone issues. A lot less pain and a lot more energy.

ETA and I am a 49 yo female, partially disabled, so I can't burn a ton of calories in the gym, but have lost almost 40 pounds since the end of August eating this way. For me, it is definitely something I will continue for life. The weight loss has been great, but the better health has been even better.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member

I have IBS as well, but found that it was the grains that were affecting me, NOT the fruits and non starch veggies. I eat a ton of spinach, mushrooms, salad, broccoli, cauliflower, pretty much anything, and am doing great now. I also eat a lot of nuts- almonds, pistacios. You can ease into the veggies a little at a time to see which ones you can tolerate. My husband had severe Ulcerative Colitis when I first met him and thought he couldn't eat any veggies, (actually he didn't like them and used them as an excuse to not eat them! lol) But now he eats salads frequently, and even likes spaggetti squash! I put frozen fruit in his protein smoothies and he loves them.