How many calories is too many calories...

Options
...when it comes to burning? I've gone crazy. I'm to the point of eating 1300 and burning 1500 a day and I'm just not feeling like its completely healthy even though it makes me feel great! I also need help on trying to avoid losing muscle, I have a problem with wanting to do very intense workouts because they make me sweat and I like feeling accomplished after I see I've burned so many calories, any help is appreciated!

Replies

• nashvillegirl1414
    Options
    I think that may be way too many calories you are burning... How long are you working out?
  • ericcanute
    ericcanute Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ehhh varies by day. Today I burned 1500 doing 130 minutes of different things through out the day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Do the amount that your body responds to best. There is not a one size fits all kick *kitten* suit. I personally like to average 600-800 burned on week days, and hit it up to 1600-1900 burned on weekends because I have more time. It works great for me because I do a ton of physical things for work and play. I also eat like a horse, so my body doesn't feel drained.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    There is a line that can be crossed I'm sure. A doctor or personal trainer may know the exact point where this line might be.

My personal feeling is to not ask yourself if burning 1500 calories is too much, but ask yourself why you need to workout that much. Are you training for something? A race, or other sport? If you aren't I think you should back it down a bit. If you are training for something, just be sure you are fueling yourself properly. Talk with a personal trainer.
  • ericcanute
    Options
    Do the amount that your body responds to best. There is not a one size fits all kick *kitten* suit. I personally like to average 600-800 burned on week days, and hit it up to 1600-1900 burned on weekends because I have more time. It works great for me because I do a ton of physical things for work and play. I also eat like a horse, so my body doesn't feel drained.

I have a problem eating a lot though. I'm suppose to eat 1600 or around there but I don't really have stuff to eat to get me there. I don't eat packaged foods unless its a small cup of Greek yogurt or something that isn't terrible for you like granola bars. I typically try not to exceed 20 grams of fat a day.
  • kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Your body needs the fuel in order to do what you want it to do, and right now you are not fueling it enough!

Check out these links to help you figure out what your calorie intake should be for as active as you are.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-<span class=

and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I wouldn't worry too much about your fat intake as long as they are good fats. If you add more protein to your diet, and healthy fats that should help you with your calorie goal [which should be much higher than 1600 if you are burning that many calories with your workout].
  • ericcanute
    Options
    So should I notch down on my calories burned because I don't have a lot of interest in eating a ton more.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You need to at least NET your BMR.

You can increase calories without eating "more". There are tons of high calorie HEALTHY foods that you can add to your meal plan.

The bottom line is if you are not eating enough your body is not going to be happy with you and you will pay for it in the end.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    You're not giving us much. Your profile and food diary are locked down.

You have this supposed 1500 calories burned by various activity.

We have no idea what to say with so little info.

Good luck? :flowerforyou:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    First of all, are you sure you're actually burning that many calories? What are you doing?

Are you losing weight?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I have a problem eating a lot though. I'm suppose to eat 1600 or around there but I don't really have stuff to eat to get me there. I don't eat packaged foods unless its a small cup of Greek yogurt or something that isn't terrible for you like granola bars. I typically try not to exceed 20 grams of fat a day.

I am the same. I hardly eat anything packaged. I focus on lean meat(chicken/fish/turkey) and greek yogarts, almonds, and some wheats. I think I ate somewhere around 3500 yesterday and still was under 1000 calories of what I burned, a tad too much exercise. If your body isn't begging to fuel, than I would tone down your exercise to a bit and eat the same or a little more. I wouldn't be too afraid of fat, there is plenty of good fat to eat.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Eat more or workout less. It's really not that complicated.

And tell us your stats or get your BMR and TDEE from this site:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then we can help you.
  • ericcanute
    Options
    Running, walking to and from places, elliptical, stair master.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Running, walking to and from places, elliptical, stair master.

oh.
  • ericcanute
    Options
    Eat more or workout less. It's really not that complicated.

And tell us your stats or get your BMR and TDEE from this site:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then we can help you.
    BMR 2098 TDEE 3619
  • ericcanute
    Options
    I go for a morning run with my Nike sensor and burn anywhere from 350-500 depending on how long I stay out there if the weather is decent, today was 370 cals. Then I do a good 40 minutes of walking a day which really doesn't burn that much compared to the 60min/800cal burn n the stair master or the 10min/160cal burn on the elliptical.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

BMR 2098 TDEE 3619

And you only eat 1,300 cal / day? And burn 1,500. You have a big problem. Eat 2,100 cal / day minimum. Should be 2,900 cal / day. This is so ridiculous to seem like a troll. Sorry if you aren't but you need help.
  • ericcanute
    Options
    Haha I'm really not trolling I think I've just hit a point where I seriously am developing a disorder with it. I can't even begin to imagine what I would eat to get me up to that amount. MFP told me 1600 so I'm just so confused right now.