I'm hungry!

I don't know if it's the weather, or something else.. but in the last couple of weeks, I've had the hardest time staying within my calorie goals. I've lost 14 lbs. and am stuck right now, possibly because I keep going over.. I'm not going over a by lot, but I'm not staying under..

I'm a 59 yr. old woman.. I live in a very rural area, such that it's 60 miles round trip to any gym.. For exercise, I've been spring cleaning, and I spin, with a spinning wheel, not a stationary bicycle..

It's not a matter of wanting comfort food or because it tastes good.. It's real hunger, and I can't seem to feel satisfied for very long. I've tried salads so that I can get volume.. I've tried more protein.. I'm still hungry again within an hour of eating..

Any suggestions? Oh, and I do keep busy, even if it's just knitting and listening to audio books..

Replies

• suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    What is your caloric intake goal ? Perhaps you're not eating enough....
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    I get like that too! Sometimes when I'm like that I'll just turn to carbs or something along those lines.. Bread always fills me up!
  • Sounds like a caloric density problem to me.

Eat more veggies\fruit. You get a higher volume of food without alot of calories.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    What is your caloric intake goal ? Perhaps you're not eating enough....

My goal is 1590..
  • annanderson77985
    I get like that too! Sometimes when I'm like that I'll just turn to carbs or something along those lines.. Bread always fills me up!

Carbs usually put me over my goal.. and they put me to sleep, in a heartbeat..
  • How much do you weigh? Are you getting adequate fat? Enough sleep? How about your fiber intake?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    In the words of Humpty, "if you're hungry, then get yourself something to eat. And if you're dirty, then go take a shower"
  • annanderson77985
    How much do you weigh? Are you getting adequate fat? Enough sleep? How about your fiber intake?

I'm not tellin', too embarrassed.. I think so, I do use full fat options, because of the sugar in most low fat options, and I do use butter sparingly.. Plenty of sleep.. Fiber is good, I eat fruits and vegetables, too..
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I'm also 59 and I get very hungry, too. My trick is to eat at least 4 cups of veggies for lunch. I usually steam broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and other veggies in a glass Corning casserole with a little water in the microwave for 3 minutes. Then I drain and add a tablespoon of olive oil and some spices. I usually eat this with a out 4-6 oz of a protein like fish or chicken. I sometimes add an avocado. This lunch is very filling for me and super nutrient dense. I do workout for 90 minutes on the elliptical and treadmill or I walk as long as its not pouring out. If I don't feel like meat or fish, I eat 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter on Ezekiel bread or sourdough pretzel. Also very filling.
    But eating lots of fiber-filled veggies are the secret to low cal fullness.
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    I have the same issue, for me eating every couple of hours does the trick, a yogurt or some fruit or almonds in between meals, or a cup of light soup or low fat cheese stick, and lots of water with lemon and limes squeezed in, or herbal tea, if I go too long withou eating something I find that I feel more hungry and less satisfied when I do eat.