What is the most you've lost without working out

Options
jdk124
jdk124 Posts: 16 Member
What is the the most weight you've lost just by watching your calorie intake on mfp? I am sure there is a little bit of exercise that is done...but I am interested to see how much that people have lost just by staying inside their calories for the day.

Replies

• neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    60lbs in 2002.

Edit: I should add that I didn't use MFP then. I used a different online diary.
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    interesting, i would like to know as well:
  • hutch58
    hutch58 Posts: 5
    Options
    30lbs so far..6months along
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40lbs last summer using MFP and not working out. I rejoined this year, but I'm working out a LOT now. I feel so much better, and I'm hoping to lose weight and tone, instead of lose and be flabby.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever even tried to lose weight without exercising.

I didn't know it was possible. But I like how I feel and how my blood pressure is stable when I workout.
  • Karenlynnpierce
    Karenlynnpierce Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30 pounds just watching what I ate. Reduce the amount of calories you eat and no matter what you will loose weight. But I find it is easier to keep off the weight with exercise.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wasn't using MFP at the time, but I managed to lose over 50 lbs just through obsessive calorie counting alone. I must add, however, that I slowly gained back 30 of those pounds after I got careless about it. Now I'm trying to make exercise part of my lifestyle along with making better food decisions rather than obsessively calculating every calorie.
  • Kris61290
    Options
    I lost 7 lbs in my first 2 1/2 weeks with just changing eating habits etc. I just started working out today, trying to give it a boost. Heard from fitness experts that diet is 75% of weight loss if that helps.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever even tried to lose weight without exercising.

I didn't know it was possible. But I like how I feel and how my blood pressure is stable when I workout.

As long as one creates a reasonable calorie deficit, one will lose weight.

For me personally, I can't lose weight and work out at the same time. It is totally counter productive for me, as I eat like a horse after exercising.
  • mikalee13
    mikalee13 Posts: 27
    Options
    73lbs and i put it all back on and then some. it's definitely possible to lose weight without working out but i'm not sure it's reasonable to think you could keep it off forever without exercise.
  • mom9198
    mom9198 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Because of spinal injury and cerebral palsy it is extremely difficult for me to exercise. I've lost over 35 pounds since last autumn just keeping my calories around 1400/day. No food is off limits but I try to keep away from non-nutritious foods.
  • SparklyPinkMom
    SparklyPinkMom Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    16 lbs so far for me. However, I am a busy Mom who spends many days cleaning or going places with the kids. I wouldn't call myself sedentary, just no "official" exercise.

However, I am in the process of looking for an elliptical and we also will be opening our pool in a couple of months, so I will be adding exercise shortly.
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    73lbs
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    when I did weight watchers, I was losing about 3lb a week, and doing very little exercise (maybe walking here and there, that's pretty much it really) - totally regret that as I'm sure I lost a lot of lean body mass, and the weight all piled on again when I was pregnant. (I gained far more than I should have done during pregnancy, i.e. it was pregnancy weight gain plus rebound weight gain from losing lean mass while doing weight watchers)

Since then I've paid much more attention to body composition and done strength training while losing fat (changed my focus from weight loss to fat loss too...) and lost weight more slowly, while eating significantly more, with no forbidden foods, and maintained my lean body mass. My body fat percentage is around 22% currently and I'm aiming to get it a little lower.

While it's totally possible to lose weight without exercising, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you have a medical condition or disability that makes exercise impossible (in which case I'd recommend getting advice from a dietician about how to eat to lose fat while minimising potential bad effects from not exercising). I'd recommend at least 2-3 days a week of strength training to maintain your muscle mass while you lose fat, plus having a moderate deficit, i.e. aiming to lose1-2lb a week, or 0.5lb a week if you're already in the healthy body fat percentage range. There's only so much fat the human body can burn in a week, if you're losing much more than this, then it's probably not just fat you're losing. If the deficit is too big you can still lose lean body mass even though you're exercising.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    ive never done exersise other than look after my toddler walking the dogs ect going to start next week thou x
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    60lbs but it was a side effect from a medication i was taking
    then when my body got used to the medication the side effects stopped and so did the weight loss
    so i gained back 15lbs then joined MFP lost 10 of those 15lbs
    then i got pregnant gained about 40lbs,so im back on MFP and ive lost 21lbs so far :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've never tried to lose weight without exercising, but I'm certain that I could, and probably at a faster rate than I do now with exercise. I don't want to lose "weight", though. I want to lose fat and hang on to whatever muscles I've got, as I find that much healthier and more aesthetically pleasing than the results from doing it without exercise, or just doing some sort of cardio.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight from calorie counting. I did some minimal exercise. I'm now at a point now where I need to start exercising to do toning.

Went from 180 - 138.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Note that I've kept all the weight off for 5 years.
  • hpraiano
    hpraiano Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost about sixty pounds without working out but then I hit a plateau, so I have stayed at the same weight for a while. I'm going to start going to the gym now so I hope to take off the 24 pounds I have left!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!