Chicken recipe to go with blackeye peas?

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
I haven't made blackeye peas in a loooong time but I have some in my pantry I'd like to use (really just trying to eat up calories! lol) and I thought I'd make chicken breast and a baked potato to go along. How should I cook the chicken? Do you guys know a good recipe (marinade, seasoning, anything) that would pair well with this? I'm a little tired of my usual, which is just lightly seasoned with lemon garlic seasoning.

Replies

• jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    My bf uses Zesty Italian Dressing as a marinade for chicken breasts and then grills them. They turn out really yummy with a zing from the dressing. You could marinade them and then bake or broil them as well.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Last time, I put chicken breasts in a baggie with white wine cooking vinegar, evoo, basil, oregano, garlic and a bit of pepper. I probably put something else in, but can't remember. I just throw in what looks/sounds good. I love experimenting with spices and herbs. Bad thing is, nothing ever comes out the same because I can't remember and don't measure the spices. lol

Good luck. :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Last time, I put chicken breasts in a baggie with white wine cooking vinegar, evoo, basil, oregano, garlic and a bit of pepper. I probably put something else in, but can't remember. I just throw in what looks/sounds good. I love experimenting with spices and herbs. Bad thing is, nothing ever comes out the same because I can't remember and don't measure the spices. lol

Now that sounds GOOD!! I've got all of that so I may try it. :happy: Thanks!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options

I do the same! I always just put a bunch of seasonings on my chicken and then toss them in a frying pan. I don't measure at all. I eye it. I usually use Mrs. Dash: Extra Spicy. It has no salt or msg. I do sometimes use Sea Salt, but that's rare. I don't really like a lot of salt.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I love Mrs. Dash. She comes in handy when I don't feel like concocting something. lol Since cutting out salt, she's even more important. I've even managed to cut hubby's salt levels thanks to her!

I haven't tried the spicy one, but definitely going to have to check that out since he doesn't like my Tobasco sauce. lol
  • andyxbear
    Options
    I love Mrs. Dash. She comes in handy when I don't feel like concocting something. lol Since cutting out salt, she's even more important. I've even managed to cut hubby's salt levels thanks to her!

I haven't tried the spicy one, but definitely going to have to check that out since he doesn't like my Tobasco sauce. lol

Haha! I can only find the "Extra Spicy", "Tomato Basil" and some lemon flavored one. I don't like the lemon one and I haven't tried the "Tomato Basil" yet, but I want to! I love spicy food, too, so I use it a lot. I've been using Mrs. Dash for 4 years now thanks to my mom. She's a diabetic and shouldn't have a lot of sodium. I used to use Zaterain's before and now I only use Mrs. Dash except for the rare occasions I'll put Zaterain's on my fries.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I know you said chicken recipes -- but I have a really good recipe for a bean salad. I just boil the black eye peas till soft in water (a little salt added to water if you like). Then once they are done and drained, I mix them with chopped tomato, cilantro, jalepeno pepper chopped finely (raw), chopped onion, and sprinkle some powdered cumin and mix all up and squeeze some fresh lemon juice over them and eat cold. Oh my gosh -- this is fabulous and very healthy!
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    I know you said chicken recipes -- but I have a really good recipe for a bean salad. I just boil the black eye peas till soft in water (a little salt added to water if you like). Then once they are done and drained, I mix them with chopped tomato, cilantro, jalepeno pepper chopped finely (raw), chopped onion, and sprinkle some powdered cumin and mix all up and squeeze some fresh lemon juice over them and eat cold. Oh my gosh -- this is fabulous and very healthy!

This sounds so delish - I will be trying this very soon. Thanks for sharing. :laugh:
  • andyxbear
    Options
    I tried the Tomato Basil "Mrs. Dash" last night to season my turkey burgers and oh my goodness, they were so yummy!!!
  • sallypal
    sallypal Posts: 6
    Options
    yum!!