Muscle people? To be sore or not to be sore??

Options
llpaq
llpaq Posts: 263 Member
Let me give a quick small history of me.
I'm old-er. I've worked out- on and off most of my life- (a month regularly here- 2 months there) since I was 16. Almost everytime I've lifted or did resisitance training I would become sore the next day.
For the first time in my life I've been working out REGULARLY- cardio 5/6 weeks- Strength 2/3/4 times a week- breaks in between and I've been working it to the point of exhaustion, or the point of ouch! can't do another and I NEVER am sore the next day. This bothers me - I like to feel sore, it makes me feel like I'm making progress and I hear that muscles have to "get ripped down to build up" sooo.....Am I NOT building muscle possibly? :ohwell:
I'm just looking for some advice...maybe facts if you have them or your personal experience.....
Is this ok? I would say I will lift heavier but not possible UNLESS I do heavier shorter reps.
Do any of you not get sore anymore?

Please give me you your 2 cents..... :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The more you work out, the more your body becomes better at recovery.

I just finished a personal experiment, in which I was able to determine that I have practically eliminated my DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) that I would get from training legs, by doing them twice a week (instead of once). And I am 95% certain its due to the extra working out, and not because I'm stretching/foam-rolling or using DOMS-reducing supplements. If you're interested in the specifics, I'd be happy to message you.

I rarely get sore after a hard workout anymore. I'll sometimes feel stiff, but the soreness aspect is virtually non-existant.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    The more you work out, the more your body becomes better at recovery.

this...i used to feel the same way about no pain no gain, but doms is not indicative of muscle growth.. proper nutrition and protein is more important.

lol i read a study on this once too, i'll try to track it down
  • klesterslash
    klesterslash Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chris is correct, if you keep the pressure on you can "outrun" DOMS. Altough, I do understand your missing the soreness. It becomes kinda addicting. Especillay the second day, ouch!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to ask this question of my FL, glad I found this post.. Still feel like I must not be giving it my all if there isnt much soreness, but I am seeing results. However, i haven't been able to add any weight to my exercises for about 2.5 weeks. I try to do higher weights, I am doing 8-10 reps to failure, so I am not sure how I can add more weight... I work out at work and when I go up I have to do it in ten pound incremements, which I am guessing is why I havent been able to add any additional weights in a while? Or am I not really giving it my all? (It sure feels like I am when I am in the gym!)

I wanted to start stronglifts, but I am not able to get to the YMCA frequently until the end of this semester, so its been put off for a while.

Kind of an off questoin, but maybe some one can answer for me :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Soreness or lack thereof is not an effective indicator of an effective workout. Concentrate on trying to lift additional weight/reps instead of trying to get sore
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Soreness or lack thereof is not an effective indicator of an effective workout. Concentrate on trying to lift additional weight/reps instead of trying to get sore
    ^
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Progressing in your strength is the best way to judge your progress. If you have equipment limits that mean the weight increments are high, so it stalls your progress, It would seem that if you can't incrementally increase intensity, then you might try increasing your total volume (more sets?), until you can make the next jump in intensity at a normal volume.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same after swimming or zumba, I have nothing I feel like I havent done anything and it almost puts a downer on it (although I understand the importance I wont give up) my zumba instructor said not to worry because by the end of the session I go a nice shade of pink she said it is doing something your heart race is increasing and not to worry. However because of this I did an extra long session at the gym and boy did I feel it for the next two days, my partner told me not to push it too hard, and although I THINK I'm doing it safely I dont feel like I have achieved anything if I don't ache, its not like my fitness levels are good :)...(EDIT: ...YET :D)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i expected to feel really sore after insanity... but i dont! but i know its working, so i dont mind!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Train smarter, not harder.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes.. as you workout more, the DOMS affect is harder to achieve, but it is not the only indicator of a decent workout. As has been said already, jusdge progression on the numbers you lift in the gym, 1 more rep, or the next weight up, etc etc

There is also term called Localised Muscle recovery... It relates to those doing a repeated workout for 30 days, the more you train a muscle, the more it adapts, and then the quicker you can recover, and train it again.
    I did a 50 Pullups a day ofr 30 days workout, and after the second week, I hardly had any DOMS after each session.

If you are an insanetrainer like I can be, a simple one off workout where you change the reps\sets scheme can give you the DOMS feeling again - Once every few months I do a 100 rep workout, either 4 x 25, 5 x 25, lower weights (Safety first).
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to ask this question of my FL, glad I found this post.. Still feel like I must not be giving it my all if there isnt much soreness, but I am seeing results. However, i haven't been able to add any weight to my exercises for about 2.5 weeks. I try to do higher weights, I am doing 8-10 reps to failure, so I am not sure how I can add more weight... I work out at work and when I go up I have to do it in ten pound incremements, which I am guessing is why I havent been able to add any additional weights in a while? Or am I not really giving it my all? (It sure feels like I am when I am in the gym!)

I wanted to start stronglifts, but I am not able to get to the YMCA frequently until the end of this semester, so its been put off for a while.

Are you trying to loose weight while lifting? If so, you're not going to see much if any strength gains while you're dieting. Get to your BF% goal, then start over eating a bit (TDEE + 400 cal) to start building muscle/toning up and you will see your strength go up more as well.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

Are you trying to loose weight while lifting? If so, you're not going to see much if any strength gains while you're dieting. Get to your BF% goal, then start over eating a bit (TDEE + 400 cal) to start building muscle/toning up and you will see your strength go up more as well.

yes, I am working on dropping my BF by around 9.6% (I think, unless I am happy before I ge that low) I do a lot of cardio, eat at a deficit, and do strength training. Should I drop the strength training until I get my BF down? Or keep doing it with the weights I can handle? I am getting more confsed every day.. I wanted to make some progress before June, and if I keep going in circles it isnt going to happen!

ETA: At this point I am not really losing either... I am going to have my BF tested again end of April (2 month span) with the Dexa so it is more accurate than the calipers. Also am going by measurements.
  • chelseachelsea1991
    chelseachelsea1991 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first started exercising at 17 and felt so sore I could barely walk the next day. Now it seems no matter how hard I work out, I never really get sore. Maybe stiff but nothing like I used to. I was wondering about this so thanks for the question!
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, soreness is not an indicator of a good workout. But if soreness is what you are after, focusing on heavy and/or slow eccentric movements (negatives) is likely your ticket.