Is it true the more you sweat the more calories burned

Options
I once heard that if your sweating a lot during a workout that means your burning more calories is this true?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No lmao
  • FriendsR4EverTreasures
    Options
    myth
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No, especially if you're a beginner.
  • Nikki_XC
    Nikki_XC Posts: 69
    Options
    I suggest using a heart rate monitor, or learning to check your pulse/heart rate manually to get a better idea (and more accurate reading) of calories burned.

Manual HR check: http://www.glencoe.com/sites/common_assets/health_fitness/gln_health_fitness_zone/pdf/heart_rate_monitor_activities/the_heart/the_heart_activity_4.pdf
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I've noticed I burn more calories than what most would doing the same exercise (according to my HRM) but I barely sweat at all.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily...
  • heathermiller77715
    Options
    Thankyou all I kinda figured that wasn't true but I figured I would get a second opinion.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If only.
    I sweat if I think too hard. Pretty much any workout makes me break a sweat. Others can do a tough workout and not sweat at all. It's an individual thing and does not accurately reflect effort or calories burned.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Uhhh?

In that case I'm burning heaps cause I'm sitting here in the heat of the day with my fan going sweating like crazy.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Definitely not.. I have done HIIT and not sweat a drop, while other days I sweat buckets. No indicator of increase/decrease in calorie burn..
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and when it's hot out, I burn nearly twice the calories, so I'd say yes! It's obviously harder to work out when the temperatures are up. If anyone disputes this, come to central IL in August! Also, when I'm sweating like crazy, it's because my pulse is in the higher range, therefore burning more calories. That doesn't happen when I'm walking 2mph!
    The harder you work out, the more sweat you'll have and you'll burn more cals. Unless you're strange and never sweat, but I only see that with the girls wearing tons of makeup at the gym.
  • heathermiller77715
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and when it's hot out, I burn nearly twice the calories, so I'd say yes! It's obviously harder to work out when the temperatures are up. If anyone disputes this, come to central IL in August! Also, when I'm sweating like crazy, it's because my pulse is in the higher range, therefore burning more calories. That doesn't happen when I'm walking 2mph!
    The harder you work out, the more sweat you'll have and you'll burn more cals. Unless you're strange and never sweat, but I only see that with the girls wearing tons of makeup at the gym.

Thankyou! This makes sense.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Oh man I hope not. I don't sweat at all until I've run at least a mile and a half.

Sweating is highly individual and has nothing to do with how many calories you are burning. I think the idea comes from people using sweat as a general guideline for intensity, and higher intensity does mean burning more calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, heat and humidity affect the accuracy of HRMs. You do not burn more calories because it warmer out. Your heart rate may be higher but that does not necessarily translate into more calories burned. There is a very specific relationship between HR and calories burned. There are many cases where higher HR is not related to calories burned, this is one of them. Your HRM cannot tell the difference and will give an inflated burn.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Yes, the harder you workout, the more likely you are to sweat but everyone has a differen relationship. I have finished races where I am totally drenched and the winner, who ran at a higher intensity barely broke a sweat.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

I never wear makeup.. sometimes people just don't sweat all the time

Also hot weather doesn't really translate into burning more calories.. it just makes your body become more heated quicker than working out in a cold gym. You also become dehydrated more easily which isn't directly a result of exercise induced sweat exertion..
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do. Water is a byproduct of the creation of ATP. ATP is what your cells use as energy in Aerobic respiration. Ever heard the saying that your body is 90% water? Well it's true and the same thing goes for fat cells. When your body burns fat to extract ATP, water is released as a by product. Below is the wiki link to describe to you how your metabolism works, Aerobic Respiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration#Aerobic_respiration

Here is the equation for carbs to create energy your cell needs. Carbs is actually short for Carbon as a Carbon chain is what your body starts off with to produce ATP. Your body starts off with Carbs and Oxygen to produce ATP. Once ATP is produce, the end results is a familiar term called Carbon Dioxide. That's what you breath out after breathing in. As you can see in the equation, water and HEAT are also byproducts of this process. So yes, the harder you exercise the more sweat you create. However, you could just pee out the excess water later.

C6H12O6 (s) + 6 O2 (g) → 6 CO2 (g) + 6 H2O (l) + heat

Fat is also made up of a Carbon chain and when broken down as energy, water is a byproduct.

Edit: This is assuming you're exercising and not in a sauna.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I suspect sweat is more a result of external temperature, than exercise. I live in Aberdeen and barely sweat at all when exercising - that's 'cos it's baltic most of the time. Live somewhere hot & humid and you pretty much sweat all the time.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    wish it was true, because I'm sitting on the sofa on my laptop, in Bahrain where the weather's really starting to heat up, and I'm sweating
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Thankyou! This makes sense.
    Thank you for being the first person to agree with me out of twenty! I will believe you because you agreed with what I want to believe as the truth.