Beginner Runners or C25Kers

Options
My "run" is barely faster than my walk. I am running at an average of 6-7km/hr (mostly closer to 6) and if I go any faster I'm way too winded. Do you know what your speed is? Not that I'm putting the cart infront of the horse or anything, just curious if I'm the only zombie! hehehe

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I go zombie pace too lol. I walk at 3mph, and "run" at 4.8mph. Not sure what the is in KM? I would rather go slow and be able to go longer then run fast and be done in 3 minutes because I can't breathe.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I go zombie pace too lol. I walk at 3mph, and "run" at 4.8mph. Not sure what the is in KM? I would rather go slow and be able to go longer then run fast and be done in 3 minutes because I can't breathe.

I did the conversion, that's 7.72 that's the pace in my workout today that I did for ONE interval, while another jogger was passing by going the other way hahahaah. Seriously, it's documented in my Endomondo stats. I looked at all the humps and one was obviously faster than the others. "oh yeah, that runner coming the other way on the trail... " tee hee
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I run at 5.0-5.5mph... 7.75mph is not a zombie pace...

Edit: I think I'm confused on your conversion.
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K too and I run slloooowwww.
    My fastest interval is 12 min mile and I have a HARD time keeping it up for more than half a mile. (I have been stuck on week 5 for forever because I can not for the life of me run more than 1/2 mile!)
    When I first started it was 18 min mile.
    Hang in there! You will get faster (and I am telling myself this too lol)
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    What? You run at 18mph? What?!

I'm kind of sure 18mph is slightly less than Usain Bolt's speed.

Edit: Aaah an 18min mile. That's a bit better for a beginner runner lol
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    What? You run at 18mph? What?!

I'm kind of sure 18mph is slightly less than Usain Bolt's speed.

Yeah I had to edit that lol. I wish!
    I meant 18 min mile and 12 min mile
  • highervibes
    Options
    I run at 5.0-5.5mph... 7.75mph is not a zombie pace...

Edit: I think I'm confused on your conversion.

I was converting miles to km. I'm not sure the exact conversion but it's 1 and a bit kilometers for every mile. I run about 4 miles an hour. I am pretty sure I CAN walk faster than that LOL Oh well, you have to start somewhere I guess.
  • swtiajenice
    swtiajenice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How do you know how fast (mph) you are running? Do you use a certain device?
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    on the treadmill I use I walk at 4, jog at 6.6, and run between 7 and 8. (I assume this would be miles per hour??)

edited to add that I'm a beginner runner, just started add running to my workouts last week
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    LOL some of these folks who think they're running slow are smoking me! HA HA!!! i jog on my treadmill at about 4mph. I have a permanent injury to my left leg and foot so I 'try' to push it but not too hard. i finished the C25K program and have done several 5K's, but I've been pretty lazy the past few weeks.......... getting over the flu or whatever was creeping around here. I'm sure I'll have to back track a little, maybe go back to week 4 or 5. Honestly just go what you can, i don't care that everyone passes me by, even old ladies out for a walk while I"m jogging, HA! :laugh:
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    When I finished couch to 5k, my final run was at 3.8mph, which is around 6 kilometers per hour. And I was damn proud of myself for finishing. It doesn't matter how fast you go, it all counts, and it's all something to be proud of.

And you continue to get better. The other day I ran a 5k race in under 35 minutes! Just keep going and before you know it the speed and distance will come to you. Any time I'm tempted to be down on myself for not being able to run as fast as so many other people, I just remind myself that a year and a half ago I couldn't run 100m, and now I can run 5 miles (8k) without stopping, and even if I'm slow, that's a pretty awesome accomplishment.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm short (5'2) with short legs and am on Week 5 of Couch 2 5K. My walk is 3.0 mph and run is 4.0 to 4.5. I know that's very slow but I also know I will get better as time goes on.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I just started incorporating jogging into my routine and while I"m not following any plan per say, I do 1 min intervals every 3 mins. I walk at 3.0/3.5 and then my 1 min intervals are at 4.0/4.5. Seems crazy slow to me but hey, ya gotta start somewhere! I just wanna get to where I can run 30 mins continuously then I'll up the speed slowly! I think your doing great!
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    When I finished couch to 5k, my final run was at 3.8mph, which is around 6 kilometers per hour. And I was damn proud of myself for finishing. It doesn't matter how fast you go, it all counts, and it's all something to be proud of.

And you continue to get better. The other day I ran a 5k race in under 35 minutes! Just keep going and before you know it the speed and distance will come to you. Any time I'm tempted to be down on myself for not being able to run as fast as so many other people, I just remind myself that a year and a half ago I couldn't run 100m, and now I can run 5 miles (8k) without stopping, and even if I'm slow, that's a pretty awesome accomplishment.

That is amazing!
    I was pretty bummed and even posted a thread about how slow I was.
    It does get easier and I do get faster every time I run.
    I did my first 5k on Saturday and I ran less than half of it but I was so happy!
    Everyone is different!
  • sunset1004
    sunset1004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    By the end I was running a 12 minute mile. I averaged closer to a 13-14 minute mile for my running intervals for the first half.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I run slower than I walk, but it allows me to go longer.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing all my running on the treadmill...I walk at 3 mph and jog at 4 mph...that's the only way that I can keep it up. Hopefully over time I will get faster but considering I am 65 and have COPD I'm pretty happy that I can run at any speed for 30 minutes or more.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    On wednesday, I'll do Week 5, Day 3. 20 straight minutes! I'm so nervous about it.

My walk is normally 3.0-3.5, and my run is generally 4.0-5.0, depending on how much longer I have to run. If I have energy left and there's only a minute or two to go, I'll kick up the speed a bit. But I average around 4.5.
  • highervibes
    Options
    How do you know how fast (mph) you are running? Do you use a certain device?

Endomondo calculates it for me. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it was highly reviewed at Google Play, and most importantly; FREE lol

To everyone else who replied, THANK YOU. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is slower when "running" I will definitely have something to look back on in the future.
  • mathersb
    mathersb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K for the second time (I feel off the wagon at W5 last time). I'm walking at 3.5 mph and 'jogging' at 4.5mph. I'm 5' 8" so my stride might be longer than yours. Last year I was worried about speed but kept reading that the important thing is at you're moving and getting your heart rate up. When I started I think I was jogging at 4.2 and eventually got up to a few intervals at 5 mph. Don't worry, you'll see progress!