I have always hated BMI calculations...

Options
...but I needed to take a moment just to acknowledge the fact that I am no longer considered obese! Just overweight, which is totally fine by me.

I don't know if anyone can relate, but I know every time I used to play WiiFit, I used to die a bit inside when I was weighed and a high pitched voice would say "OH-BEES" (really sounded bizarre, but still disheartening).

I have made it to ONEderland and now I am no longer obese. Do you have any recent milestones you're proud of?

Replies

• squall88c
    squall88c Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can relate with the BMI calculations.
    Yes it is flawed, but we can't help but compare ourselves to it.

As for me, I'm 3lbs overweight as per BMI.
    I'm excited to get to the Normal range.
  • jessiethera
    Options

Congrats! Good luck reaching your goals!
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ummm..yah.....my last physical that I went to, the paperwork said, "obese!" I was flabbergasted by the word. Pews orally, I was disgusted with myself, and I set up a nutritionist appointment right away. Well and behold, it has taken me almost a year to drop 10lbs!! So, with that said, I totally get it!! I an now overweight too. I would have to lose 29lbs to get back to the normal range. Well, I don't think that is realistic, but I'm willing to never ever give up!!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    haha i remember getting on that thing and it making the sound like you were hurting the wii board. OhHHHH!
  • jessiethera
    Options
    I an now overweight too. I would have to lose 29lbs to get back to the normal range. Well, I don't think that is realistic, but I'm willing to never ever give up!!

Even moving down to overweight makes us much, much healthier! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4468001.stm
    Congrats on the weight loss--even if it was a slow process, you have probably made changes to your lifestyle that you are not going to give up, so it shouldn't be as much as a struggle to keep it off (like in yo-yo dieting)!
  • jessiethera
    Options
    haha i remember getting on that thing and it making the sound like you were hurting the wii board. OhHHHH!

I had to end up selling WiiFit because it wasn't motivating me half as much as it was depressing me =( Luckily, now I've really gotten into running, so it's not as hard for me to work out anymore.
  • lustingforfitness
    Options
    Today I deadlifted my own bodyweight for the first time. :) 135lbs, yeahhhh!
  • jessiethera
    Options

Wow, that's fantastic!!! Congrats! =)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    BMI is such a flawed measurement by virtue of being two dimensional. Based on height and weight alone I'd dare anyone to find a good gymnast who wouldn't measure in as obese due to all their muscle. What matters is percentage of body fat. Don't let BMI get you down.
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Can't wait to be at the overweight BMI vs. obese.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That is great news!! I recently reached an "average body fat %" for my age. Even at 241 I've worked on toning up every 10lbs lost which has made the scale move slow but it's good to know I'm a lot healthier than when I started! I was at over 30% and now down to 25%.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

You are my hero!! lol :) Great work!!!
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am finally stronger than one of the guys I used to be weaker than. I am so happy. It made me want to do more to get stronger.
  • squall88c
    squall88c Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Congrats! Good luck reaching your goals!

Congrats to you, too.
    We'll reach our goals in due time.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    the reason everyone fails has little to do with strength and will power and lots to do withe depression and guilt.... fitness is a psychological endeavor... I'm glad you dumped the wiifit and found something that left you feeling proud of yourself... keep at it..

u may like this article

http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/marshmallow-test.html
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I totally get it. I was so happy when I got below 25/Overweight, LOL even if it's 24.something :P.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't take in consideration body frames or muscle which has always annoyed me since I have a large bone structure.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!