TRUTH ABOUT "O CAL" SPARY BUTTER!!! MUST READ!!

Options
Hi Hi :) So ive been reading Jillian Micheals new book, "Thin for Life" and I came across a section that really shocked me. It was about that 0 calories spray butter from I Cant Belive Its Not Butter. I dont know about you guys but I love that stuff! I used to put it on everything because I had assumed it was 0 calories. Well actually its not! Its shocking. I knew I had to share this portion of the book with all of you! So this is the TRUTH about that not so lovely-so-called "0 calorie" spray butter:

Quoted directly from "Thin For Life" by Jillian Micheals:

"Heres an amazing con that food manufators rrun that can lead you down the road to ruin:they round down. Legally there able to say that a food contains '0 grams of trans fats' or '0 calories' when the food is actually loaded with trans fats and caloired. This is my all time fave example: back when I was still an idiot eating a ton of fat free diet foods, I fell in love with I Cant Belive its Not Butter spray. I put it on everything! I sprayed it on popcorn, cooked eggs in it, and smothered my toast with it. You name it- I found a way to flavor some crappy diet food with it. I mean, why wouldnt I? It tasted like butter, and it had zero calories- right? WRONG!!!!!
I looked at the label. The top ingrediet listed was hydronated soybean oil. Now, im not a genius, but it doesnt take a genis to know that oil is not calorie free. Having been around the block a tiny bit at that point, I know that hydrogentaed was also synoymous with trans fat. How could this be? Confused and pissed, I called the food manufactor and the truth came out. Because there were 0.9 calories in one spray and a serving size was one spray, they were leagally able to round down. So they were saying its zero calories and zero grams of trans fat even though there were about 1200 calories in one of those tiny bottles- nearly all of which were trans fats!" (page 84)

I know! I practically screamed when I read this. So the spray is actually entirly filled with trans fats and calories. And to think i was putting this crap all over my yummy and healthy veggies. wow. what a wake up call! Well I hope this helps you out :)
Take Care Lovelies! -Friend Me-

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I've known this for years. Keep trying to tell this to my mother. The woman drowns her food in it.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Never used it--can't even say I'm sure I even knew it existed--but it certainly seems like something that would fall in the "If it seems too good to be true..." category.

But thanks for taking the time to share. :flowerforyou:
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    it's in the MFP database and lists the cals for it...which aren't 0.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It is the same with many "zero" calorie foods such as cooking spray and sweeteners. Splenda has 4 calories per pack and 92 calories in a cup of granulated Splenda. That is quite a lot for a so called zero calorie food. It makes it hard to track calories when companies are being sneaky like that. It doesn't seem like much but it can add up!
  • JO4IT
    JO4IT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess it can be good cause it sort of clings to the food and you might use less of it than butter.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's all kinds of 0 calorie diet foods out there like that. Be suspicious of anything but water than says it's 0 calories. They often use that method by choosing a small portion size so they can round down.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yeee same with other 0 cal sprays! Like oil sprays.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If you lightly coat it you're getting very few cals, like less than 3 grams of fat, if you can't lose weight from an extra few grams it's not the spray. lol
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I think the stuff that I get, the serving size is "1/4 second spray."

I only use it to "grease" the pan when I cook eggs, and I use it so lightly (literally 1-1.5 seconds altogether) that.. that's shady as hell of the manufacturers, but I'll shrug off those 4-5 calories. >___>
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Here in the US, the FDA allows any food with 4 calories or less to be labeled "Zero Calorie". I don't know why that is, as it seems to be very misleading.

I count ...
    4 calories for each packet of Sweet N Low
    5 calories for each 8 ounces of Crystal Light
    1 calorie for each spritz of 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i just recently purchased a misto sprayer. 1 second spray is equal to 1/4 tsp of oil...i would assume the other kinds of oil sprays would be similar.
    Yeee same with other 0 cal sprays! Like oil sprays.
  • sunkist5555
    Options
    still, with kitchen spray oils, i know i'm using less and getting less calories than if i were to pour it on a pan for eggs or something, that's a bonus...
  • they also use butane and other crap to make it spray out of the can

edit- sentece got typed *kitten* backwards
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is new math 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 is a significant number :smile:
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    yeah yeah... what a bummer~! :frown:
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    that stuff looks so revolting! it's all food coloring and trans fats, DUH- it says so right on the ingredient label. Although the name and scary yellow bottle should keep you from picking it up in the first place... just eat a teaspoon of regular freaking butter or olive oil!

I will never understand everyone freaking out about calories and not about HEALTH! It's like saying "wow, this poison is only 4 calories!" The generally accepted scientific opinion right now is that trans fat consumption will probably reduce your life expectancy. You'd better not be spraying them on your food, whether it's 4 calories or 400 calories!
  • willprovost
    willprovost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So if I spray 5 shots of this stuff on my rice, I'm going to add 4.5 calories to my intake?

Holy first world problem.

Honestly, 0.9 calories per spray? Spray it on your beans, one good fart and you'll work that off. The stuff people obsess about simply amazes me.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The other day I saw an EVOO spray at Costco. I'd much rather use that than this stuff.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    The misleading nutrition facts really piss me off. I really hate when something is marketed as a single serving "to go" item and then you look at the nutrition facts and it's 2.5 servings or something to keep the calorie count low.

I especially hate "fat free" foods. Sure, there's no fat but there sure IS a buttload of sugar and sodium. Stupids.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    lol. oh you america.

1337943468225.png