TRUTH ABOUT "O CAL" SPARY BUTTER!!! MUST READ!!

Options

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    All I know is it's like anything below 5 cals can be 0 right? Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

I only use my it 2-3 times max and spray very little lol, non-stick pans don't need much. I really only use it for eggs come to think of it...
  • willprovost
    willprovost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hate it when an image gets cut off...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    does it really matter if it is 0.9 calories per spray and not 0?

If its just the spray stuff you spray on pans to stop food sticking, is that the stuff we are talking about?
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I know. When I was fat, I used to pour a fourth of a bottle on spaghetti and soups. I never knew. It's so unethical not to label things properly! I was probably adding 200 c of pure crap fat to my food.

Splenda packets are 4 calories a packet, as well - not zero.
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    does it really matter if it is 0.9 calories per spray and not 0?

If its just the spray stuff you spray on pans to stop food sticking, is that the stuff we are talking about?
    I believe that they are able to round anything below 5 calories to 0. That is problematic when you are overusing something that was supposed to be used in very small quantities like spray butter. If people spray it for 5 seconds you could be looking at 80 calories or so. I could be wrong though!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I guess if you are using it in huge amounts it could be a problem - the milli second spray I put on trays when baking or roasting, ie usign the stuff as it is meant to be used - not a problem, the 1 calorie I'm not recording is hardly going to make or break my weight loss. :laugh:
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Is this even real? You aren't going to get fat from spray butter. Even if you're a weirdo and use 40 sprays, you'll be fine.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been using it for years and don't plan to stop anytime soon. at .9 calories a spray vs. 75-100 calories a Tbsp. for the real thing... I will take the spray.... It sure hasn't hindered my weight loss but to each their own...... Best of Luck.........
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    nvm
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    There's only 37 calories in 5g of Lurpack Slightly Salted butter - this is more than enough to add to a portion of vegetables.

Who can't manage 37 calories in their allowance?
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I know. The FDA allows anything that is less than 5 calories per serving to be listed as Zero calories. The also allow for a +/- 20% error in calories listed on labels.

Zero calories does not mean that there are no calories in them.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's only 37 calories in 5g of Lurpack Slightly Salted butter - this is more than enough to add to a portion of vegetables.

Who can't manage 37 calories in their allowance?

It's not about being able to manage it in my calorie budget or not. If I eat something that contains 37 calories, I want to log it, and know just how many calories I am eating.

Saying "it's just a few calories why does it matter" (as some on the thread have done) well it does matter, because I still want to log it. Also, it adds up, and thirdly, the maths in incorrect. It may be a small deal to some people, but to me it's the maths equivalent of confusing they're, their and there. 0 x anything = zero. So a million servings of a zero calorie item should still equal zero calories. In the UK, if it contains such a small amount of something, they will put "trace" not zero. This, at least, is mathematically correct, because a trace of something x a large enough number = a significant amount. (and the quantities have to be much smaller to say "trace" - you don't find 4 calorie servings listed as "trace" they're listed as 4 calories.)

Also, some companies make serving sizes ridiculously small, so if I eat that food, I might eat ten servings of it. 4.9 calories x 10 = 49 calories. Again, it might not seem that much, but it's still an amount I want to log reasonably accurately, because it all adds up. I don't want to be told something has zero calories, when it actually has some calories in it. I'd rather buy it from a company that lists how many calories are in it, rather than one who messes around with serving sizes in order to fit their product into this loophole.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Sooooo it's a 1 calorie spray instead of 0? Why is that Earth shattering news?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Really, this should just be common sense and not a surprise revelation. When you see something advertised like this, a simple read of the ingredients should tell you that you can't consume (in this case) this "0 calorie" butter substitute in great quantities and not expect it to count in your daily calorie goal.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    :sick: those sacks of swine!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    So if I spray 5 shots of this stuff on my rice, I'm going to add 4.5 calories to my intake?

Holy first world problem.

Honestly, 0.9 calories per spray? Spray it on your beans, one good fart and you'll work that off. The stuff people obsess about simply amazes me.

AMEN
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the person who wanted to count the calories in their lipstick...

Personally I always thought that Rule #1 of dieting was "don't buy diet products!!" Real butter isn't gonna kill you (unless you use it in Paula Dean portions, then maybe...)

I do however drink Diet sodas occassionally, but that's just feeding the addiction. :)

And lastly, if anything on the internet starts off with "THE TRUTH ABOUT _____" - it's probably a lie...
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So each spray is a whole calorie? Big whoop. A few extra calories isn't going to kill you.
    And to everyone obsessing about this one calorie, create it as a new food in your journal as a .9 calorie food and call it a day.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I only use Saturated Fats on my food, I LOVE coconut oil, and clarified butter. :)