children

Options
I believe rough housing with your children should be listed in "my fitness pal". I have three boys, 6 years a younger and when I give them horse rides or play airplane, or simply tickle fighting, I feel more tired than if I was to work out for a half hour and sometimes longer. Anyone have children and a calorie counter? I would love to know roughly how many calories I burned playing with my children. Thank you all!!!

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor and use it during vigorous play!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    agree, try your hrm. I list my play time as general playground fun. It's the school holidays next week and my six yearold wants to work out with me. I think it will be moderate walks and climbing in the park lol
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of not so rough wrestling with my kiddos only burns 42 calories. Granted I have to be easier due to ages. lol
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    you could use this: http://www.prohealth.com/weightloss/tools/exercise/calculator1_2.cfm?emptyfield=weight

there's a "playing with kids" choice. I would sort of underestimate the calories, though. I don't count those, don't count cleaning, and don't count things like going grocery shopping; that's just part of my daily activity level.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question but you have a valid point...When my grandsons were little I used to take to my bed the day after their visits I'd be so tired. Maybe you could log it as circuit training. We spent a lot of time running around in circles....ie with me holding the back of the bike to provide support perhaps or with me pretending to catch them as they roared around the pool table on some wheel toy. Then there was the weight lifting...a 35 lb toddler over my head or up to my heart. And the climbing...tree forts or up the outside of our open stair case with a plastic knife in my teeth...(We were pretending to be Sinbad and his friend and we were going to cut the ropes supporting the mast so it would spear the monster...are you familiar with that scene?) The pace was frenetic. I once pleaded a time out because I needed to use the bathroom.

"Pee fast, Nana." were my orders.
  • JackieTL27
    JackieTL27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the responses. The prohealth website was also very helpful...Thank you