Is it really possible to lose 20 lbs on 30 Day Shred??

Options
andyswoman
andyswoman Posts: 16 Member
Because I'm so anxious to lose the weight I have from being pregnant with my now 7 wk old, I wanted a workout that had a high potential for quick weight loss so I purchased the 30 day shred. I love all the success stories and seeing the before and after pictures; these are great motivation for me. As proud as I am of everyone for their accomplishments, I'm a little disappointed because everyone seems to say they don't see many lbs lost. Is the possibility for 20 lbs weight loss as advertised far fetched, do u think?

Replies

• dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I don't think you can lose 20lbs in 30 days (that's almost a pound a day). If you are just starting you would lose a lot of water weight, but eventually it will even off to .5-2lbs a week.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It depends on SO many factors: Your diet, your metabolism, your weight, your fitness level, if you're retaining water, the amount of time you have to devote to exercise... and on and on.

For me weight came off MUCH faster when I was 120lbs overweight than it did at 30lbs overweight, and many find the same thing, so it may depend on how much weight you have to lose, also.

I lost 40lbs in my first 30 days of a weight-loss journey - but I'm the exception, not the rule. (Also of note, considering my size and my diet at the time, easily 10lbs or more of that was WATER...) During that first month I carefully analyzed everything I ate - measured and weighed everything, calculated my caloric requirement/expenditure/intake etc. like I was OCD... I also trained 2x a day 6x a week and NEVER took a day off from my very rigid diet.

Is it possible, SURE... for the right individual under the right circumstances. That being said, if you try and don't succeed - you're never a failure. You only FAIL if you don't try.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose 20 lbs but it will probably take 3-4 months. I lost 20+ lbs and hit my goal weight last May. You have to really want it and not stop after 30 days or when the going gets tough. I've completed 30 day Shred, Ripped in 30, Shed & Shred as well as Kettleworx. Remember losing weight is a journey and not a destination. If you forget that, the weight will soon come back. You'll have to keep coming with something new. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    That sounds super unhealthy.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can lose 20 pounds in 30 days if you are close to goal weight.

20 pounds = 70000 calories or 2,333 calorie / day deficit. Eat nothing and burn 2,333 calories EACH day? Don't think so.
    Maybe a 400 - lb gastric bypass patient who is bed bound.

It's not manageable to lose that much weight in a month. Patience and slow, gentle discipline is much better for long term weight loss.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think it would be highly unlikely. I lost inches and people commented a lot. If you lose 20 pounds in 30 days, part of it is muscle, part of it is water, and part of it is fat. If you lose it more slowly, you can hopefully work on your bodyfat percentage instead, which is what I think you ultimately want.
  • mztamaraann
    mztamaraann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In my opinion I don't think it it possible. A lot of success stories have a lot to do with losing inches. I believe that 30DS is a good warm up to other more intense videos that may have a better chance of getting you to lose 20 pounds in that short amount of time.

I hope this helps. Tip: Start off without weights, and as you get stronger add weights. Good Luck!
  • SunShineGirly11
    SunShineGirly11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It depends on SO many factors: Your diet, your metabolism, your weight, your fitness level, if you're retaining water, the amount of time you have to devote to exercise... and on and on.

For me weight came off MUCH faster when I was 120lbs overweight than it did at 30lbs overweight, and many find the same thing, so it may depend on how much weight you have to lose, also.

I lost 40lbs in my first 30 days of a weight-loss journey - but I'm the exception, not the rule. (Also of note, considering my size and my diet at the time, easily 10lbs or more of that was WATER...) During that first month I carefully analyzed everything I ate - measured and weighed everything, calculated my caloric requirement/expenditure/intake etc. like I was OCD... I also trained 2x a day 6x a week and NEVER took a day off from my very rigid diet.

Is it possible, SURE... for the right individual under the right circumstances. That being said, if you try and don't succeed - you're never a failure. You only FAIL if you don't try.

^^^This.....my first month I lost 20 pounds, the second 17, and the third 18.5(that was the month I did 30DS) BUT I was very overweight and went from eating boxes of junk to watching everything I ate never going over my calories and exercising daily.
  • andyswoman
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks cesarean postpartum. I gained 45 lbs during my pregnancy. The first 25 fell off immediately. I have been at the same weight for 5 weeks and that's with nursing. Ive cut out soda and have been watching my portions and the choices I'm making. And I'm just stuck. I did the shred for two days and my appetite skyrocketed. That scared me because I couldn't get full.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    The first time I did 30 day shred I lost 20 lbs. However, a year later i gained the weight back because I couldn't maintain eating a healthy balanced diet. At that time I was around 230lbs at 5'9. I followed the suggested meal plan for the workout and sometimes did the workout twice a day. It is possible but it wasn't sustainable for me. My doctor said that the loss was actually healthy for me. I did not have health issues but I was a few steps away from them if I kept gaining. She also said that i shouldn't try to lose weight quickly once i get closer to my goal. When I gained the weight back the next year she said that my weight going up and down was not healthy and that its important to learn how to maintain my weight and to do something I can live with. I lost weight and thought I could eat the same way again because I was more active.

Last month I did ripped in 30 and lost 9 lbs while still being able to eat some of my favorite not so healthy foods in moderation. I hope this helps you in your journey. The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor to know what is a realistic goal for yourself.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you are 250 you could but for most people, you won't. 30 Day Shred is an excellent program - if you have had a c-section, get cleared first by your ob-gyn/doctor before you do any workout..

I did it about 6 months after I had my second child and I lost so many inches, lowered by Body fat percentage from 40 to 30%.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks cesarean postpartum. I gained 45 lbs during my pregnancy. The first 25 fell off immediately. I have been at the same weight for 5 weeks and that's with nursing. Ive cut out soda and have been watching my portions and the choices I'm making. And I'm just stuck. I did the shred for two days and my appetite skyrocketed. That scared me because I couldn't get full.

Glad I mentioned the part about c-section.. get cleared first. I had my wound open at 10 weeks (not completely) even though it seemed fine and I was cleared. Maybe wait a bit longer to do 30DS and opt for walking outside with your baby for a couple of weeks.
  • andyswoman
    Options
    Maybe if you are 250 you could but for most people, you won't. 30 Day Shred is an excellent program - if you have had a c-section, get cleared first by your ob-gyn/doctor before you do any workout..

I did it about 6 months after I had my second child and I lost so many inches, lowered by Body fat percentage from 40 to 30%.

I did get exercise clearance from my OB thankfully. :happy:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    30 Day Shred is pretty challenging stuff.. I wouldn't consider it to be similar to walking or even running which your OB probably thinks is what you want to do.

Be careful.

Edit: Oh also, get a soft measuring tape.. go by the inches you lose vs the scale.. most who have done this program gain weight the first week and even up to 20 or more days before the scale goes down.
  • andyswoman
    Options

Glad I mentioned the part about c-section.. get cleared first. I had my wound open at 10 weeks (not completely) even though it seemed fine and I was cleared. Maybe wait a bit longer to do 30DS and opt for walking outside with your baby for a couple of weeks.

Omg, how did that happen if u don't mind me asking? Exercise?? Eek!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Doing 30 Day Shred actually :laugh: It was fine until I did jumping jacks....
  • andyswoman
    Options

Doing 30 Day Shred actually :laugh: It was fine until I did jumping jacks....

Wow. Yikes. That makes me think a little bit. Thanks for telling me that. I go back to work a month from today and people are going to think I'm still pregnant because my gut is so huge. I'm 5'4" and 168 lbs... it bothers me terribly.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Honestly, people can think what they want.. I bet most won't because most understand that you just had a baby and it takes time to get your body back to the way you want it. Even with exercise, the uterus still needs to go back down to its normal size and that can take atleast half a year.

I think you said you did the 30DS twice already.. if you haven't felt any pain, go for it.. sorry I didn't post that to scare you but it happened to me and I know how eager us new mommies get.. sometimes we ignore what our bodies tell us. Just listen to your body and best of luck. Don't beat yourself up too much for not losing the weight immediately, it takes time and dedication

:flowerforyou:
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started 50 days ago at 280lbs. I have lost 31 pounds...I am on Day 12 (still on Level 1...a shoulder injury is keeping me away from Level 2 which is hard on the shoulders)...I have lost 10 pounds and 3 inches off my waist and 9 inches off my thighs...1 inch off my neck and 1 inch off my arms..I gained 1 inch on my calves. I do it 2 days on and one day off throughout the week.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Listen to Dixiewhiskey!

If you had a c-section, check with your doctor first!!! Remember that you have more than one incision. Besides the one you can see, there is another inside and you do not want to risk either of them opening, especially if you ever want to have any more children.

Don't worry about what people think. There will be time to lose the weight. If you do it wrong, you'll be "losing" that weight again and again for YEARS. But if you do it right, it may take 3 months, but the healthy habits that you form will ensure that it'll be gone for good. 30 Day Shred is a GREAT program. Do it, do it right, and then do something the next 30 days, and the next, and just keep going---you'll be healthy and fit for life (and look great).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!