Making dinner....need ideas for side dishes....Help! Going

Options
Making dinner for my mom and step dad (late fathers day) and I really want to show them that you can eat well and still be healthy.....She thinks thaty it means no salt, no sugar, no bread no cheese....basically.....no GOOD. I'm making HG Turkey taco meatloaf...It tastes sinful.....:bigsmile:

What else?

Replies

• readytomove
    Options
    Making dinner for my mom and step dad (late fathers day) and I really want to show them that you can eat well and still be healthy.....She thinks thaty it means no salt, no sugar, no bread no cheese....basically.....no GOOD. I'm making HG Turkey taco meatloaf...It tastes sinful.....:bigsmile:

What else?
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hmm! I am not the greatest cook in the world but I would make a nice huge salad with it. One that includes romaine lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. Or you can steam some veggies... You could also have mashed potatoes made with skim or low fat milk and add some garlic or garlic powder to it. Have some reduced fat biscuits or some sourdough bread on the side...don't know. Don't worry about what they would think the most important thing is to enjoy your time with them...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Get some Baked Tostitos and fat free shredded cheese and make nachos, or even just chips and salsa. I LOVE the Baked tostitos, I don't even enjoy the regular ones anymore. Get some fat free refried beans to use for dip too. Oh another dip idea would be light cream cheese melted w/ salsa stirred in. mmmmm I totally want some nachos now!! haha could I get the recipe for the meatloaf? I totally might have to make this for dinner tomorrow!!

Oh, and what about getting some of the Blue Bunny Fat Free Sugar Free Ice cream? It is to die for. Much better then all the "lites" they have. And only like 80 cal per serving, assuming you can actually eat just 1/2 cup... I think that the 1/2 cup ice cream serving size is just a myth! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck! I am sure they will love it. Oh, and I totally wouldn't tell them it is turkey until after they say it is wonderful. People seem to be really scared of turkey in their "beef" dishes! My mom looked at me like I was insane when I told her I was making Turkey tacos the first time.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    How about a veggie side? I love roasted asparagus. I quickly blanch asparagus, then throw it in a back with a TBL olive oil and toss to cover the bunch, then lay it out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt and roast in oven. I also like toasting slices alomds and mixing them together when I pull the asparagus out of the oven (when it is still slighlty crunchy, but not raw)

good luck!
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Check out www.eatbetteramerica.com. They have great recipes for side dishes, dinner items, lunches, breakfast, and even snacks. I just made some killer blueberry muffins off there that were whole wheat and fresh blueberries. YUM!!!
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    vegetables - any kind steamed or microwaved
    big salad

potatoes are good and not fthat attening just no butter - cut them and spray some Pam or any non stick spray add some seasoning and put in oven
    sweet potatoes - the same way
    brown rice
    couscous

enjoy
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    yummy fake fries...

Ingredients:
    1/2 butternut squash
    kosher salt

Directions:
    Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. If you're unfamiliar with handling them, you may have a little trouble at first. They're fairly easy to peel, but you'll need a sharp knife to cut them. Once your orange friend is peeled and seed-free, slice it in half. Then cut it up into french fry shapes. We like to use a crinkle cutter to make authentic looking crinkle cut fries, but they'll work any way you slice 'em. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt (regular salt works, too, but we prefer kosher). Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. Serve with ketchup, or however else you enjoy fries or sweet potato fries!

Nutritional Info:

Serving Size: 5 oz., uncooked
    Calories: 65
    Fat: 0g
    Sodium: 486mg (includes salt)
    Carbs: 16.5g
    Fiber: 3g
    Sugar: 3g
    Protein: 1g

* 1 Point