Question for Runners... Heel or Toes?

Options
I'm new to running. I've been doing the C25K program, and am enjoying it. I always run heel down, but tend to give myself shin splints. I was browsing a running forum and it was recommended to run toe down. So last night, I ran that way..... and it was a lot more comfortable, graceful, and, well, quiet on the treadmill.

Just curious if there is a difference between the two styles, or if it's just preference. Thanks!

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hmm, curious to see what people say about this b/c I was told to try to hit mid-foot as much as possible. I'm a newbie runner too so any advice and suggestions is good to hear.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I run on all fours like a beast
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm a mid sole striker, and I've heard the suggestion to land toe first before as well. Personally, I don't thing there's a 'better' way to land when you run. I think it's a combination of your natural gait, how fast you're running, and what type of shoe you're using that dictates how you land.

For me (I primarily run outdoors) the quicker my pace, the longer my stride tends to be and that's when I toe strike. I wear Brooks Pure Cadence running shoes which have a sole that encourages my foot to supinate so I land on the outer soles of my feet - that causes me to mid sole strike. Before, when I first started running I was heel striking until my calf and shin muscles developed.

I found this article on the NY Times Well Blog to be interesting: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/is-there-one-right-way-to-run/

It talks about how your gait is influenced by your footwear and what essentially comes down to, there's really no 'best' way to run. Just what works best for you. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is - if it feels better, do it! :)
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running. I've been doing the C25K program, and am enjoying it. I always run heel down, but tend to give myself shin splints. I was browsing a running forum and it was recommended to run toe down. So last night, I ran that way..... and it was a lot more comfortable, graceful, and, well, quiet on the treadmill.

Just curious if there is a difference between the two styles, or if it's just preference. Thanks!

Most long distance runners and running magazines will tell you to run heel to toe. That is the method that has always worked for me! (I run about 35-40 miles a week, been an avid runner for 7 years)
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would run whichever way feels most natural to you. Trying to change the way you run because it has worked for someone else can do more harm than good if it is not right for your body.

I'm not saying don't try something new. Just experiment I guess, but don't do something because a majority of people say it is best. Do what is best for YOU :)
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I run on all fours like a beast

Pics or it didn't happen.
  • I3ernadette
    I3ernadette Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've always run on my toes, but I just started again and I have to say, it takes a couple of days for your heels and calves to stop hurting! It's a lot easier on knees and ankles, though.
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options
    Toes, although I'm a mid-foot striker. I understand heel strikers have more knee problems than toe strikers. And I've had friends go with more padding in the heel only to have it hurt their knees more.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mid foot.
    Heel to toe (although many people do it) is not the best way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm a toe striker (former sprinter) trying to go more mid foot to eliminate plantar and Achilles issues. Most elite long distance runners are actually heel strikers or mid foot strikers. Mid foot strikers allow their limbs to absorb a lot of the shock while running and tend to have less problems overall with joint discomfort and the like. Heel strikers tend to have knee, hip, and often lower back issues. Toe strikers have issues with their calves when running long distance (though perfect form for sprinting) and also have tend to have plantar and Achilles issues long term.

Either way, running is very high impact and ultimately, something is probably going to hurt.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Always heard heel-to-toe but I had to force myself to do that. I naturally run with a mid-foot almost toe strike and when I relax and just do it that way, a lot less calf/shin pain.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Mid foot works best for me and I used to be a heel striker. However, more important is that your foot lands under your center of mass with the knee bent with each step instead of somewhere out in front with a straight leg. This reduces the impact forces to the leg and reduces the probability of injury to the knee and lower leg.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm a mid sole striker, and I've heard the suggestion to land toe first before as well. Personally, I don't thing there's a 'better' way to land when you run. I think it's a combination of your natural gait, how fast you're running, and what type of shoe you're using that dictates how you land.

For me (I primarily run outdoors) the quicker my pace, the longer my stride tends to be and that's when I toe strike. I wear Brooks Pure Cadence running shoes which have a sole that encourages my foot to supinate so I land on the outer soles of my feet - that causes me to mid sole strike. Before, when I first started running I was heel striking until my calf and shin muscles developed.

I found this article on the NY Times Well Blog to be interesting: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/is-there-one-right-way-to-run/

It talks about how your gait is influenced by your footwear and what essentially comes down to, there's really no 'best' way to run. Just what works best for you. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is - if it feels better, do it! :)

This article was very helpful. Thanks!
  • missized
    missized Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you for the responses!!
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find that I am much more efficient and have better endurance by running toe first.
    It's also more comfortable for me and I have never had shin splints or issues.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Toes... heel strike seriously screw up your gait and cause a whole host of issues.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    by toes people mean the ball of the foot. not tiptoes.