No Pain, No Gain??? And how long to see 'improvement'/muscle

Options
kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
So when I lift weights, I push myself as hard as I can. When I'm doing my 2nd and 3rd sets, I can really feel it, and by the end of the last set, I can barely do it.

And although I am TIRED that day and next, I don't have the muscle pain I was expecting. I do a LOT (for me) of stretching afterward. I also do a somewhat light cardio (compared to my c25k days). I have some uncomfortableness, but no 'aches'. I have a little stiffness sometimes the next morning.

I dry sauna for 10-20 minutes after workouts up to 3 times a week. I also jacuzzi at least twice a week for 20 minutes.

1) Should I have more muscle pain? Am I not really doing anything to my muscles?
2) WHEN WHEN WHEN will I see some muscle building? :) I've worked out times in the last 2 weeks.

Yeah I know it's covered by fat at the moment...wish I'd taken measurements before all this started!

Thanks!

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No pain, no gain is a myth - you should not experience "uncomfortable" muscle pain after working out just some slight soreness at the most. If you are doing 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps each and each set gets a bit more difficult as you go then you are fine and you will start seeing results but it does take awhile, just be patient you will see the results after awhile.

PS - Big congrats on your success, I know that it feels good!
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks ma'am! :) Success DOES feel good! :)
  • sexyvirgo911
    Options
    Hi, take your measurements today. Dont worry that you didnt take them when you started. Then you will have a guage to go by.
  • slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was a US Marine....No pain No gain, isn't talking about muscle pain after a hard work out but the effort you put into the work out itself. It is all about doing the very best you can. I agree that you shouldn't have muscle pain during or after the workout. You should have tired muscles, or some soreness ( at first ) but NOT PAIN! Pain needs to be looked at or it is a reason to rest.

Give each and every work out all you have and remember NO Pain NO Gain!!!!
  • laurenpence
    laurenpence Posts: 147
    Options
    I have to be honest I love the soreness of muscles the day after but sometimes I don't get it. Is it because I didn't work out hard enough?....No it is because my body is getting into better shape then when I started out. I think you should take your measurements first thing in the morning tomorrow as well as a weigh in. Track your weight every week and your measurements every month. It is a huge confidence booster when you are seeing results. Just be proud of yourself for the workouts that you do. Set goals when working out too. For example....I am going to do an extra10 minutes of cardio today. Also try mixing up your workouts.
  • spunhuny5
    spunhuny5 Posts: 8
    Options
    Look up the theory of msucle confusion and practice this method.....
    You will see results much quicker.
    Anyone who says there will be no pain after working out, is not working out hard enough. of course, the mere effort involved in building muscles involves many many very small tears in the muscle fibers, therefore, of course one will experience some discomfort and pain. There isa big difference between work out muscle pain and tearing or pulling something.
    Practice circuit training, muscle training, 30 second blasts of different muscle building exercises, do four different exercises for 30 seconds each and then rest one minute and then do four other excercises, keep your heart rate up in your target zone all the time and don't stop but for a minute after every four exercises, you will see serious results in a week or two and you will be pleased.
    Do pushups and pull ups alot, utilize your own weight for strength training and don't worry- two months ago I could not even do one pull up. Now I can do four sets of 5-7. Don't be afraid to try.
    Good luck to you.
    Check out P90x and try that out. It is amazing.
  • striker1988
    Options
    There are vast differences in the bodybuilding world about the number of sets/reps required for fastest muscle gain. The two that seem to be most prominent now are the (6-8 reps, 3 sets, rest for a few minutes in between a set) adherents and the (8-12 reps, 3 sets) camp. I'm a subscriber of the former, as it seems to be more efficient to me.

Regarding soreness (especially extreme soreness), it is typically a symptom of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), and usually only happens initially after you stress a muscle in an eccentric fashion. DOMS has an "inoculating" effect and if you continue to work those same muscles, it shouldn't occur again, especially not at the same intensity. However, it will return for a few days if you wait a few weeks in between working a set of muscles.