Good Exercise Plans for Beginners??

Options
I am starting brand new and need some advice and help on good exercise plans. Any ideas? PLEASE PLEASE :))

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You could try 30 day shred on youtube
  • Melissa132129
    Melissa132129 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30 day shred....it's great and only 20 minutes ; )

I would also suggest to start walking. Pretty soon you will be able to walk longer and faster and burn alot of calories. Walk with your family, pet or friends.

You could also run. I've done the Couch 2 5k and it really does work.
  • francri69
    francri69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me the most important thing is to do exercises that you enjoy, they should not be or become a chore. Start off with simple things like walking whenever you can, no escalators etc. Make use of local parks and go jogging, use the benches etc for step exercises.

I have lost 8 kilos over 4 weeks through good healthy eating, and a great gym and home exercise routine. Interval training is great for fat burning:

On a running machine do 1 minute at walking pace (6 - 7 KPH), 30 seconds at fast jog/run (14 - 16 KPH) then repeat for 5 minutes the first few times, then increase to 10 minutes total, then 20 minutes total over a week or two. It feels really hard at first but over just a few days you will build up great stamina and additional strength too, this really helps to get the weight down when you have a healthy diet too.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a fantastic, challenging workout for beginners.. many of us, including myself and isaiahsmom have done it. It really IMO kickstarts your love for fitness
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The C25K app. I was never a runner but now I LOVE it.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    lifting and light cardio

K.I.S.S.

SL 5X5, AllPro, any sort of 3 day full body workout programming with proper lights days and rest periods..... Or you can waste your time doing silly fad workouts.

Ask yourself... Health? Strentgth? Athletic goals? Endurance skills?

What do you want? It should determine your training regimen
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Most people who are beginners are not going to jump into Stronglifts.. no offense. It took me three months to work up the nerve to lift heavy and start Stronglifts in front of a bunch of macho guys at the gym.. have some sensitivity. Also not sure what you are referencing to but 30 Day Shred sure ain't a fad workout. Might not work for you cause you are already fit but it works for a lot of folks.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Exactly, what do you like to do? For me, I love team sports and boxing. The idea of doing the 30 day shred sounds awful to me. What are your goals, where do you want to exercise, what equiptment do you have access to, do you like running, dancing, lifting weights, do you want to work out alone or in a group, would you like to be outdoors or indoors?

Do you want to shred fat, build muscle, be able to run a 10km, be able to do a pull-up, squat your body weight, look good in a bikini

What do you want?
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I like the re-edit that focuses on the OPs goals.. that's more appropriate and helpful advice.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Some form of strength/resistance training and some form of cardio. Choose each depending on your preferences. May combine both.

Start low, slow and easy and slowly work your way to less low, slow and easy.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    Figure out what you enjoy doing. For me it's running and weight lifting with the occasional hike and bike ride. Some people don't like running. Some like doing gym boot camps or classes like kickboxing.

I would suggest if you're working out at home, find a good fitness dvd. p90 (probably not p90x unless you feel fit enough for that), 30 day shred, Turbo Jam, etc.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Its never too early to start strength training. Stronglifts 5 x 5, Starting Strength of New Rules of Lifting for Women. All excellent beginners programmes.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love the 30 Day shred...it is strength training, cardio and abs. I am still on Level 1. On Day 10 I tried Level 2, but after one day I realized that with my shoulder injury there is no way I will be able to Level 2 without hurting my shoulder. I have been doing the shred for 30 days now...I do 2 days of Shred....1 day of Cardio (walking or Just Dance for 60 min on Wii)...2 days of Shred...and take Sundays off. It has worked for me. The shred is only 20 minutes and after the first week it gets much easier and I look forward to doing it now.

I was 280lbs when I started and am now down 31lbs...and 15 inches.