Friends bad dietary influence

Options
Joehenny
Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
What do you do to overcome friends with terrible eating habits who constantly criticize your strides to attain better eating habits?
I've just learned to tune them out, but also I am interested in hearing others responses on the subject.

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    What do you do to overcome friends with terrible eating habits who constantly criticize your strides to attain better eating habits?
    I've just learned to tune them out, but also I am interested in hearing others responses on the subject.

I usually just walk away from them in frustration but every now and then I say something super *****y and mean "I know what you mean..... I used to want people to eat crap when they were with me too when I hated my body...now I don't give a **** what other people eat and i just enjoy my carrots and strawberries"
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I remind myself why I'm doing this. I'm doing this for myself, not my friends. So, I just smile and laugh. If they want to eat unhealthy, it's chill.
  • Joehenny
    Options
    When I first started I got a whole lot of slack, now they're starting to come to me for tips when no one else is looking. Jerks. lol
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

I don't need my friends to have healthy habits, but criticize my positive choices? I would not consider people like that my friend. But maybe that's why I don't have many!!!?
  • Joehenny
    Options
    I remind myself why I'm doing this. I'm doing this for myself, not my friends. So, I just smile and laugh. If they want to eat unhealthy, it's chill.

Yup that's my attitude, "hey do what you want, but don't be mad at the results". :D
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    All my friends know I'm on a quest to lose weight. We still go out for coffee but mostly pair it with a walk these days instead. If they feel like a cake or similar its up tomy self discipline to stp from indulging with them.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I like the criticism, reminds me that no matter how good i get i can still become even more awesome. :smile:
  • Joehenny
    Options

I don't need my friends to have healthy habits, but criticize my positive choices? I would not consider people like that my friend. But maybe that's why I don't have many!!!?

True, but guys like to talk crap to each other lol.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Good point, girls will just sabatoge each other by bringing over their friend's favorite flavor ice cream!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Tell them something to the effect of:

"Cool story, bro. Tell you what: You stick to your diet plan, and I'll stick to mine. We'll see which one's working better in [X] weeks."
  • Joehenny
    Options

Tell them something to the effect of:

"Cool story, bro. Tell you what: You stick to your diet plan, and I'll stick to mine. We'll see which one's working better in [X] weeks."

I like that one!!!
  • Joehenny
    Options

Good point, girls will just sabatoge each other by bringing over their friend's favorite flavor ice cream!

yea I have a friend and we're like the same level fitness wise, he's always trying to get me to eat something bad. I know what you're doing brah! lol
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    My sister will come over and look at cooked beans in my fridge and go "what is that" and I start to tell her it's slow cooked beans with.. and she'll interrupt me and go "it looks like dog food." She's the type of person that buys everything in a wrapper and doesn't cook **** unless she steals the idea from you.

My friends have gotten used to me eating 2 burritos at one time to not ordering anything.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    sleep with their girlfriend? backhand em in the junk? swoop in and steal their women while you're out partying? don't share your drugs with them? criticize their aesthetics?

or, man up, and

become a better cook? disregard their attempts to displace your ego/confidence?

I dont ever get this problem because I've been an excellent cook forever. I only get harassed for drinking less because I used to put every1 under the table.

allrecipes.com is a good friend.... lots of easy delicious recipes... cutting diets dont have to be all sludge and broccoli..
  • spencehm
    spencehm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it's made me lose contact with a lot of friends because they are constantly commenting on what i eat.

when they bring around junk food i usually just don't eat anything or i'll grab my raw almonds.
    it makes them feel uncomfortable and like they are overindulging, which then results in them most likely not wanting to hang out with me.

but they always contact me when they are trying to start a new diet though because they know i am a good influence.
    usually i don't bother because i know a diet for them lasts half a day until they are offered a really greasy piece of pizza with a pitcher of beer. lol
  • lauriand
    lauriand Posts: 24
    Options
    My husband has horrible eating habits (so did I not too long ago) It makes it really hard when he brings home super unhealthy food and I am over here eating carrot and celery sticks. He will always say to me "a couple bites won't hurt you" but a couple bites can very easily lead to a couple more... Frustrating.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    My husband has horrible eating habits (so did I not too long ago) It makes it really hard when he brings home super unhealthy food and I am over here eating carrot and celery sticks. He will always say to me "a couple bites won't hurt you" but a couple bites can very easily lead to a couple more... Frustrating.

i think you must indulge sometimes or you'll ultimately feel guilty when you do and you'll overindulge (this is how a LOT of people fail)... set boundaries and stay away from trigger foods which you have trouble controlling. A couple bites here and there is MUCH better than a lot of peoples "cheat" days....

BTW, "cheat" days are stupid and they only further harden the psychological taboos tied to food that result in most peoples failure... Reward yourself occasionally, cheat NEVER!