Do you eat your exercise calories?

Options
Just wondering how many of you actually eat the extra calories your earn from exercising? If you do, are you eating half or all etc?

Replies

• mitze90
    mitze90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wasn't eating mine, now i am and my weight lose is completly unaffected as far as i can tell.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat at least 1/2 of mine. Often I eat all of them.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I first wasn't and I was losing consistently at 1.8 lbs. a week. for 4 weeks consistently and then people kept telling me I was going to crash if I didn't eat my exercise calories which are around 800-1000 on most days because I work out 2 hours and what happened...didn't lose a single pound for 3 weeks straight :angry: . So freaking fustrating so then I went back to what I was doing and guess what I have lost again for 2 straight weeks :bigsmile: . I am not saying that this works for everyone but it certainly was a test and trial for me and I am sticking to what I am doing :tongue: Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sammydiddly
    Options
    I have only really just started but I don't usually eat mine. I find that I am sticking to a routine diet at the moment. I figure out what is for tea depending on how many calories I have left and then I don't eat after 7pm. The only time I technicaly use my excercise calories is if I have gone over and I make sure I excercise enough to bring my calories back down. :)
  • NancyMoedt
    NancyMoedt Posts: 207
    Options
    I definitely eat half of mine. Otherwise my body feels like it's starving itself and it tends to shut down.

But remember, each body is different. :smile:
  • lovebrittnie
    Options
    um for me it depends...i'll eat some of my exercise calories if i worked alot! burn 800-1300 cals but in general i still leave a 500 calorie deficit and i don't eat more that 1800 cals in a day total on those days i work out alot... on a good day anyway, so i can at least attempt to lose 2 pounfd a week.... but my goal diet it wise is set to lose 1 pound...
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Not eating them would lead to losing too much weight in muscle instead of in fat so of course I do.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is a great post as well as Banks' other ones and is very helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
    Where I think this gets unhealthy is when you realize you have 3 or 400 calories to go that you haven't eaten and you're finding stuff to eat to make up for it.
    That's not healthy. If at the end of the day, you haven't eaten your exercise calories, but you've eaten well and aren't hungry, you're fine. Just try the next day to eat a little more, but make sure it's still healthy and spaced out throughout the day, not at one time.
    That would be my advice.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    I try to eat half, but sometimes eat more. I always stay under my net calorie goal though (21 days and counting anyway).
  • NikkiLaFleur
    Options
    No usually. I try not to because I usually only take in about 600 calories a day anyway. But some days I'll treat myself
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    No usually. I try not to because I usually only take in about 600 calories a day anyway. But some days I'll treat myself

You eat only 600 calories a day? That's a ridiculously low amount for anybody. You might want to rethink that. It's something you'll never be able to maintain for any length of time, and it's not healthy. Please read the posts about starvation mode and exercise calories you will find the biological reasons why shouldn't eat so little.
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options

ME TOO! and peoiple give me shiiiiit for it but i feel better! I THINK EVERYONES DIFFERENT and people are just going by what everyone else tries but when i eat 2000 or more like some people have reccommended in threads on this site I GAIN weight. doctors reccommend 500 calorie diets to help jumpstart weight loss all the time... thus why i'm doing this... If i'm still hungry i have a protien shake and sometimes do go up in my intake but mostly I don't do that on days i'm not going to the gym. I take vitamins that i need, started getting my period regularly and have been able to find more motivation to get my butt to the gym ... I think it really depends more on what you're eating than the calories you are taking in... protein and fiber are probably what keeps me from feeling starved. I treat myself myabe a couple times a month and go out or have a holiday dinner and I have been able to consistantly lose weight still... so people who judge those who take in a lower calorie count really need to stop.. if you feel starved up your intake. if you dont... then don't fix ssomething that's finally working.:drinker:
  • em80
    em80 Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm on 1300 calories a day so I eat mine back sometimes I'm 100 or so under.
  • primus_guy
    primus_guy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Now I eat most of my exercise calories. For a while I kept my intake between 1500 and 1700 calories regardless of the amount of exercise I did each morning. This worked for a while and then my body shut down. It took me a week to figure out that I wasn't putting in enough calories and my body was working against me. Now I typically get within 200 calories of my slated net intake. Although my program has me on track to lose 1.5 lbs/week, i'm losing more than 2 lbs/week.