involuntary all-nighter, afraid of getting fat :|

Options
yeah... I worry a lot and I ended up accidentally worrying all night and pulling an all-nighter. This is bad because I don't really function well on a lack of sleep... but anyway, over the course of the night I found myself starving and ended up grabbing a couple tablespoons of almond butter. Basically I'm overtired and in hysterics and I don't want to get fat because I did that. I know it was a one-time deal but I'm feeling awful and irrational... should I eat less for breakfast in the morning?

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I dont have much experience with EDs, but, you shouldnt be trying to lose weight. Logic tells me that you should try and slowly gain muscle at a caloric surplus, but, I'm not familiar with recovering anorexics.

There is a ED support group in the nutrition forums on bodybuilding.com's forums. I think you could find some really good advice there. They can help you defeat food taboos and what not.

Good luck.
  • smartin0181
    smartin0181 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you when your hungry! Listen to it. Try not to worry about a table spoon or 2. Just try to workout a few times a week and stay in your caloric means. You will do fine. And indulge once a week to keep your cravings at bay. : ) It is a long term process.
  • MrRex_91
    MrRex_91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If this is a one time gig, I wouldn't worry too much about it. What you could do is take the calories from the almond butter and divide it amongst all your meals so you're not just cutting down one meal. So if it was three hundred calories, take one hundred out of three meals that way you're not starving for part of the day because that may lead to overeating later. But as I said, if this is a one-time deal, don't worry about it.
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight... just maintain my current one :o
  • hausisse
    Options
    thanks, guys :) yeah... one time probably isn't something to panic about, ha. I should be more worried about the fact that I had that almond butter and then went straight to bed without brushing my teeth a second time, blech
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Two tablespoons of anything (except possibly lead) isn't even going to register on the scale. You might need some professional help for your irrational fear of eating if this is sending you over the edge.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    If this post is for real, you need counseling. I say that respectfully.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No big deal. An all Nighters won't make you fat.

Last night I flew back to Cal, i got to my parents too late and was unable to wake the night nurse or anyone. So I pulled mostly an all nighter at the local "happy donut". I had two massive apple fritters. Massive. And then slept an hour in the car until the day nurse arrived.

Not fatter suddenly. In the long term of things it does not matter.
  • hausisse
    Options
    Thank you for confirming my suspicion that my fear is irrational :x I'm just loopy and hysterical from lack of sleep
  • Jayra
    Jayra Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could always have a chat to a councellor about the anxiety and insomnia (check at the place where you study, they might have ones there to help students). Even looking up relaxation techniques to help sleep might help you in the future. When I was a teenager, I had issues with anxiety and insomnia, and also would stay awake all night due to it. I struggled through it, but never addressed the underlying cause. Now in hindsight, I really wish I had just gone and asked for help. It would have made life so much easier.

A couple of tablespoons is nothing to worry about, and would have been more helpful in trying to get back to sleep then staying hungry.
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    2 spoons of almond butter isn't going to make you put on pounds so try to calm yourself down, log it and either burn it off later today or reduce your calories a bit the next day if its pushed you over your limits.

Remember that you have probably got calories to eat that will still only take you to "maintenance" level and that you would have to eat 3500 cals to actually get a gain of a pound.

Sleep is crucial for your health so try to get into a good regular pattern of sleep.
    If I start worrying at night [which I do VERY regularly about all sorts of weird things] then I usually find that reading my kindle for a little while soon helps distract me from whatever is keeping me awake and within about half an hour I can go back to sleep.

If you are up and struggling to avoid a fridge raid then a cup of low cal hot chocolate or something like that is probably a better more soothing thing to have

Chamomile tea is also very good for gently de-stressing and relaxing and you could also try a few drops of chamomile and lavender essential oils on a tissue popped into your pillow as these essential oils contain relaxing and sedative properties that can help you unwind and calm ready for sleep.

Hope that helps...just remember 3500 cals extra for a pound weight gain...that's more like 2 whole big jars of almond butter rather than a few spoonfuls
    :o)
    Sky x

PS I'm an SNHS.dip qualified aromatherapist, herbalist, Bach flower remedy practitioner and homeopath so if you need any further suggestions for things that you try to help you relax then let me know by PM.

PPS...I do not prescribe anything weird like sitting with a vase on your head with your feet in a bucket of ice water, cymbals on your fingers while chanting :wink:
  • astronomicals
    Options
    If this post is for real, you need counseling. I say that respectfully.

i looked at her profile and she had posted about being in recovery from an ED.... 99.9% of people here are not qualified to give her advice, myself included.

I agree she needs professional help or support from people who have recovered... I kinda get the feeling that she doesnt have any professional help cuz its seems pretty illogical to advise her to keep a maintenance diet.

You need to rekindle your relationship with food. It sound more like you're just adding an additional eating disorder. You said you are obsessing about eating healthy foods, there is a name for that. Orthorexia.

" my ED sort of developed into a really passionate interest in healthy food and physical fitness." << Red flag

"I'm just using this website as a means to talk to and get advice from other people who are also interested in maintaining long-term physical, mental and emotional health. " <<<They don't know how to help you and will most likely just help to redevelop your previous condition.
  • astronomicals
    Options
  • hausisse
    Options
    Honest to goodness, I only worry like this when something else has happened to throw me off- like a loss of sleep or anything else that just shakes up the foundations of my regular routine. And I have spoken to professionals about my issues quite often :o But thank you for the advice; I really will check that forum out :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Uhh, if you don't want to wade through a 40+ page thread on some message board, I would suggest checking this site as an alternative: http://www.something-fishy.org/
    "I'm just using this website as a means to talk to and get advice from other people who are also interested in maintaining long-term physical, mental and emotional health. " <<<They don't know how to help you and will most likely just help to redevelop your previous condition.

That's a pretty obnoxious blanket statement to make. There are several groups on MFP offering support to people in ED recovery.
  • astronomicals
    Options
    Uhh, if you don't want to wade through a 40+ page thread on some message board, I would suggest checking this site as an alternative: http://www.something-fishy.org/

That's a pretty obnoxious blanket statement to make. There are several groups on MFP offering support to people in ED recovery.

Well "A general diet and weightloss" forum is not the right place.... She'll get 10 answers she wants to hear and 1 answer that is actually what she should do. I'm not here to make friends and sugarcoat things. My link is a support group, there is no point in reading anything past the first post and resplies to whatever you might ask (unless you choose to read it all for inspiration).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Well "A general diet and weightloss" forum is not the right place.... She'll get 10 answers she wants to hear and 1 answer that is actually what she should do. I'm not here to make friends and sugarcoat things. My link is a support group, there is no point in reading anything past the first post and resplies to whatever you might ask (unless you choose to read it all for inspiration).
    Great advice here. I know exactly how you think OP. I became overly interested in health and nutrition too as so many with ED's do. Many of us on here that are at your point or were at some stage in life. Your thinking right now is not normal. It's a couple of tablespoons of a very healthy food. {hugs} Please reach out for help.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

I disagree. Bodybuilding.com is also a general diet and fitness site, you just directed her to a specific thread to do with eating disorder support, and there are ED support groups on here, so what is the difference exactly? Are they all qualified physicians over there?

I really don't think you've been on MFP long enough to say that everyone here will be telling her what she wants to hear when in reality it's probably the opposite (save for some people who actively promote ED behaviour, but they are usually quickly shot down)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    yeah... I worry a lot and I ended up accidentally worrying all night and pulling an all-nighter. This is bad because I don't really function well on a lack of sleep... but anyway, over the course of the night I found myself starving and ended up grabbing a couple tablespoons of almond butter. Basically I'm overtired and in hysterics and I don't want to get fat because I did that. I know it was a one-time deal but I'm feeling awful and irrational... should I eat less for breakfast in the morning?

Hi again, OP. I remember you from a recent thread where I commented that your thinking as described in that post didn't seem very healthy and suggested you speak to a professional. It was a post where we discussed your weight and having some goals that were strength related vs. scale related.

Anyway, I'm suggesting the same again here. Anxiety that keeps you up all night over a couple spoonfuls of almond butter, and has you second guessing your breakfast is just not healthy/normal behaviour, and it's sad to see you suffering this way. I really hope you'll talk to a professional and get some relief from your issues surrounding food. :flowerforyou: