Oh..Save me from my family

Options
I will be going on vacation to visit my sister and grandparents, whom I love dearly, but they are absolute feeders. When we are all together the agenda is Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. The plans always revolve around food, and lots of food. I have a very difficult time telling them no, or asking them to alter the menu, but I've worked so hard to get off the 10 pounds that it has taken me 3 months to lose. Please offer any suggestions that you may have to assist me in getting through this visit without alienating my family and without me re-gaining my lost pounds. Thanks :sick:

Replies

• jasonweinberg
    Options
    just stick with salads and proteins. you can really eat quite a bit if you just avoid the carbs, sweets and fried foods.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    just stick with salads and proteins. you can really eat quite a bit if you just avoid the carbs, sweets and fried foods.

Good advice!!!

Stick with proteins and some fats...........loads of veggies and use fresh fruit for desserts and you can eat a lot of food. Drink lots of water too.
  • LadyNay191
    LadyNay191 Posts: 38
    Options
    Maybe you can try to plan active things between the meals. There are lots of fun things families can do together regardless of athletic ability (or desire) like mini-golf, bowling, paddle boating, walking, biking, swimming, or going to the driving range. This way, if you eat as well as you can during the meals and get a good workout at the beginning or end of the day, you won't get off track, you won't throw your family off, and you'll all get to do something fun together other than just eat.

Good luck!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. What I do is ramp up the exercise and go ahead and eat more. And try really hard to get any of them to go along. Hiking or walking or whatever is available. And if they won't, just get up early and go jog while they are still asleep so they won't feel like you are ditching out on them.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    small portions
  • SkinnyMinnie80
    Options
    Could you offer to cook? Tell them it's a surprise menu and then cook based on what you are able to eat. maybe this will motivate them to healthier living!
    Good luck! My family drives me nuts too!
  • skysilver
    skysilver Posts: 73
    Options
    You poor thing, I can just envision it- aaargh!!! Stay green and mean.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Could you offer to cook? Tell them it's a surprise menu and then cook based on what you are able to eat. maybe this will motivate them to healthier living!
    Good luck! My family drives me nuts too!

I agree! That sounds like a great option! :smile:
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I think that all of these are great options. I would also suggest being honest with them. If you were to tell them that you are trying to lose weight and that it is very difficult to tell them no when they are offering you food, maybe they will be more mindful of your efforts.

Along with that I would also suggest psyching yourself up before meal times. Take something with you that will remind you of your reason(s) for wanting to lose the weight. Look at it, hold it, think about it before meal times. Tell yourself that you are doing this to make yourself a healthier, better person and that part of that means making good choices in what you put into your body. I have tried this a few times and it seems to make it easier to make those good choices.

Good luck. Also, remember, if you do end up eating more than you want, it isn't the end of the world or your efforts. Just pick yourself up, and get back on the horse. :o) Have a good time with your family!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    small portions
    also daily workouts even with family members, walking etc. to keep any foods at bay that you might end up stress eating from stress of being around family and so much old comfort food.

Best of luck,
    Becca:drinker:
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. I intend to get up early to work out alone. ( I'll need the alone time and working out is a great excuse.) :wink:

None of them are prone to waking further than to the mailbox, but no one would be bothered by my exercising. It's just difficult because they tend to make a spectacle of anything that they view as unusual, and I really hate the craziness that can come along with that stuff. I will load up on veggies and other healthy stuff which they do have a lot of.

None of them are going to eat the way I cook, but I can and will control what goes in my mouth. I will be logging on while I'm gone to let you know how its all workingout. :wink: I am sure it will be fine and hopefully I won't return any heavier than I left. :happy:

Thanks again for the great info..