Going on holiday while on a diet

Options
I am going away on holiday for 2 weeks in May and wondered what people do when they go on holiday while still on a diet?

Do you forget about the diet and enjoy yourself or stick to your diet?

I usually just enjoy the holiday and the local foods rather than sticking to my calorie limit.

What do you normally do?

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Have fun and forget about it. Get back on track once returned. Continue as normal.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    we take our running shoes and try and do some runs - it's a great way to see some of the area when we're staying. Or if the hotel has a gym we hit that too.

For hotel buffet breakfasts I try and just have what I would at home, so as not to start the day over eating!

I found that it's all very well having a blast and eating whatever I want - but when I get home I regret it if it's set me back too far with weight gain.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    Im going on 4 week o/s holiday in july - will try to eat reasonably healthily (damage limitation, LOL) but impossible to calorie count or weigh or scan food whilst on tour - will have a break from keeping food diary and pick up when I get back
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I'm off to Malta for my cousin's wedding in May. I'm hoping to be able to make Healthier choices and eyeball quantity whilst I'm away. I certainly won't be avoiding the desserts though.
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a four week overseas holiday this April. I still plan to track while I'm away, but if I go over, I won't beat myself up about it. I'll definitely still be exercising everyday so I won't need to deny myself the pleasures of experiencing new foods.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Our holidays usually involve a ton of walking, so we're buring up extra calories right there. The last time we went to Spain, I was training for a sprint tri and I went out for a run in the evenings while DH put his feet up (he's 74 and wears out faster).

Food: most of our meals are from grocery stores- sandwiches, pasta salads, etc. and we just try to make reasonable choices. It keeps the costs down and also limits portions. We rarely go out to a restaurant meal but when we do, we thoroughly enjoy it. We just don't overdo it- but that's true of us at home, too.

We did go on an Alaskan cruise last year (my pic is from that trip) but it was a small (78-passenger) ship where the food was healthy and delicious, but was not the focus of the trip, and there were plenty of opportunities to get out and be active. Wonder how many claories I burned up snorkeling in 42-degree water? That was COLD, even in a wet suit! We liked it so much we're going again next year.