im
hearing people saying that bananas are not good when your watching your
weight,is this true and what kind of fruit are okay.how many fruits
should you have a day

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for fairly immediate loss of weight then prunes.....lots of prunes. :bigsmile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Any food is fine, it just depends on how much of it you eat!

Bananas are higher in calories and sugars than other fruits - but they do help give a boost of energy eg before a workout. They are about 100 cals each, whereas something like berries (blueberries or raspberries) are about 1 cal each.

Short answer - you don't have to avoid bananas in order to lose weight, just log everything you eat.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Every food is okay when you are trying to lose weight. Just log it (and weigh it first as necessary!) and stick to your calorie goal.

Sounds like you need some good MFP friends to give you the support you need. We're all in it together!
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    All Fruits and vegetables are great for weight loss..
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    Apparently pomegranates curb your appetite! And they are lovely in salads and desserts, or to have the seeds on their own - yum!
    I read somewhere that berries are good at burning abdominal fats (I don't know how true that is... It's probably a load of crap, but if it provides a placebo effect and makes you think that they work, then you will feel more confident about yourself, which will boost your motivation to keep on going with your diet and fitness plan (theoretically)).
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    Just try not to eat too much fruit as it is high in sugar (natural), and remember to log it :)

And resist the temptation to put sugar on your strawberries.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are loaded with fiber. *wink*

I think all fruit in moderation is fine. No fruit is bad, no fruit is better than another - they all bring different qualities to the table.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    im
    hearing people saying that bananas are not good when your watching your
    weight,is this true and what kind of fruit are okay.how many fruits
    should you have a day

punch those people in the face for being stupid.

just kidding.

not really.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 bananas every day, and it hasn't affected my weight-loss one bit. Like the others said, weigh and log everything you eat and strive to stay within your calories/macros.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    My favorite fruit is ice cream.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, berries are really good for you so I eat them daily. I tend to have my fruit in the morning or after a workout for energy.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    The things I would say if I didn't worry about strikes . . . .

Fruits are fine OP. Just watch your overall calorie intake.

:flowerforyou:
  • llwall58
    llwall58 Posts: 2
    Options
    Bananas are a really important source of potassium, of most people do not get enough. Potassium helps repair and build muscle as well as helps regulate blood pressure. It is recommended by some that after a workout or run, that you eat some banana. Calories in, calories out and log everything you eat, but when you reduce your caloric intake, it is also important to ensure that you have a balanced diet with enough nutrition including nutrients. Fruits are high in sugar, but are high in fibre as well. It is better to eat an orange than drink a glass of orange juice, as the juice gives you all the sugar but little of the fibre. Fibre will help move those sugars through and not pack them on as stored fat. This is not easy and lots of advice out there...some good, some not so good, but all well intentioned.
  • LidijaR
    LidijaR Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    my choices would be plums, pineapple, kiwis and tomatoes! And my favourite one - cherries! Love cherries shame the season is soo short and otherwise they are too expensive.. ocassional treat!
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    Berries (blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries), apples, pears, and grapefruit because they contain a huge amount of water and fiber relative to sugar like a banana or pineapple does. Save the sweeter fruits for post workout in my opinion.
  • MrsTorresisBACK
    MrsTorresisBACK Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Agree all fruits and veggies are highly encouraged during weightloss as long as you log. I heard (i reapeat "HEARD") that pinapple and grapefruit are great for fat burning. Again this is all hear-say ...Best of Luck!
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    grapefruit. any fruit that has it's own diet plan named after it is a miracle cure in my book. look at me? it's worked wonders
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for fairly immediate loss of weight then prunes.....lots of prunes. :bigsmile:

1AA5419F-964B-4231-B1DB-924C35E18F2B-879-000000EB8D85A83B_zpse3af91de.jpg
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    all the fruit. all the time.

I have a banana or part of one EVERYDAY, always have. They are my favorite fruit. I also eat about three pieces of fruit per day. I look at overall calorie count for the day rather than which is better for weightloss.
  • Matholo425
    Matholo425 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks for your responses