Gaining Weight by Eating Exercise Calories

Options
I'm 5'7 and 145 lbs. My goal weight is 140. I'm doing Turbo Fire and I burn 3000-3400 calories per week. The only time I see any weight loss is when I'm eating 1300-1500 calories. When I eat anything more than that I gain weight like crazy. Why is this? I thought eating more was supposed to cause the weight to come off faster?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I thought eating more was supposed to cause the weight to come off faster?
    uh no.. the reason why people get fat is because they eat more than they need. i think you're confusing 2 ideas : eat more to lose weight is better suited to people who are more likely to automatically drop to crazy VLCD diets to lose weight. eat more to lose is completely irrelevant to other people who arent prone to go crazy with their diets.

when you say you are gaining weight are you gaining inches and seeing your clothes get smaller? if so then you are more than likely overestimating your calorie burn and therefore eating more calories .

if it's justa number on the scale and your clothes are getting smaller and inches are going down then i wouldnt worry about it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    At 140 pounds, there's a chance that you're not burning 600 cals per workout doing turbo fire. And if you aren't measuring food, there's a good chance you're eating more than you think. Try eating half of what your exercise calorie numbers state and then see how it goes for a few weeks
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    At 140 pounds, there's a chance that you're not burning 600 cals per workout doing turbo fire. And if you aren't measuring food, there's a good chance you're eating more than you think. Try eating half of what your exercise calorie numbers state and then see how it goes for a few weeks

^^^ THIS!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Great information here.
  • jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    at 5'7 145 you prolly dont have much weight left to lose, im on my final 5 lbs and its taking forever. make sure not to eat any carbs after 7/8 pm. watch the sodium intake and eat your body weight (140ish grams) in protein. or at least 100. you wont get crazy jacked muscles or anything. Protein is what makes muscle, muscle burns fat, fat loss is the goal.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    at 5'7 145 you prolly dont have much weight left to lose, im on my final 5 lbs and its taking forever. make sure not to eat any carbs after 7/8 pm. watch the sodium intake and eat your body weight (140ish grams) in protein. or at least 100. you wont get crazy jacked muscles or anything. Protein is what makes muscle, muscle burns fat, fat loss is the goal.

^^^ This is complete bull. No offense.
  • ChelseaAClanton89
    ChelseaAClanton89 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! It’s very interesting reading everyone’s point of view.

@meshashesha20 I have been losing inches and I can fit into all of my pre-pregnancy clothes. My measurements and body fat percentage match my 134 lb. weight (I’ve kept logs of my weight for years). I’m definitely more toned but I really wish the number on the scale would reflect that.

@DavPul I’ve been wearing a heart rate monitor and I think it’s pretty accurate. I did P90X a few times before starting Turbo Fire, so I think the switch from strength to high intensity cardio is shocking my system. I’m also really obsessive about what I eat, so I always measure and weigh everything. I just think my metabolism might be screwed from all of my earlier years of yo-yo dieting.

@jakeVScalorie I think this is great advice. Thanks!

@CATindeeHAT I don’t think its bull. I think it’s smart eating, I believe Jake went over the basics. And everyone has different weight goals. I’ve been what I would call super skinny and I hated it. I felt like a walking skeleton. So I’m purposely stopping my weight loss at 140 lbs. because I believe that I looked my personal best.

I’ll just stick to 1300-1500 calories a day. That’s where I feel the healthiest and happiest, while steadily losing!
  • DavPul
    Options
    Your hrm is accurate? Based on what? If it was accurate you'd be losing weight. Unless you really believe that your tdee is 1300 and to lose weight you should net 800-1000 calories per day. Seems dubious, but good luck with that.
  • ChelseaAClanton89
    ChelseaAClanton89 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Based on the fact that I spent a lot of money on it and it had great reviews. But maybe you are right; the HRM could definitely be a bust. I’ll just stick to what works (eating less and working hard). Thanks again for your insight!
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    to get 100G of protein thats like adding two chicken breasts.

On what f******* planet does 2 chicken breasts contain 100 grams of protein?

Lol. This just made my day :)
  • DavPul
    Options
    to get 100G of protein thats like adding two chicken breasts.

On what f******* planet does 2 chicken breasts contain 100 grams of protein?

Lol. This just made my day :)

8 oz of chicken breast is around 50 grams of protein, no?
  • jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    @Davpul, your absolutely correct, what i meant was, if your eating a normal intake of 50G ALL IT TAKES to get to 100G is two chicken breasts. Which is 50G. i can see how i worded it could have been confusing.

@catindeehats, No carbs after 7/8, do you think eating a couple of slices of pizza at 10pm is not going to turn to fat throughout the night??? theres a difference in carbs and perhaps I worded that wrong too. Again thanks for all the advice you have given on this thread.

i read your blog catindeehats. how fun and informative. it made my day lol.