Body Bugg

Options
Hi, I am looking into buying either a heart rate/calorie monitoring watch to wear all day or a Body Bugg. My husband wants one too. He wants his more for monitoring his heart rate and I would like to as accurately as possible monitor my calories burned. What would you suggest? What do you use?
Thanks

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have anything and am looking into getting something as well. I just looked up the bodybugg as I was interested in that - its $199-$249 (and some special at Costco for a little under $200). That's too expensive!

You can get a decent HRM for around $100, from what I understand.

So my cheapskateness says skip the bodybugg. :) But I am curious about what other people have to say!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I borrowed my friend's body bugg once, just to check it out...it was amazing. Hadababyitsagirl, like you I wanted to see what my calorie output was during the day and for that it was perfect. I wouldn't get it if you wanted a heart rate monitor, its way to expensive for that...but for other things I felt it was worth its weight in gold by keeping me ontrack.

Turns out I might not have been burning off quite as much as I thought I was.

I'd get my own if I could afford it. :-)
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The bodybugg has been discussed in one of the Science Journals as the most accurate calorie burn device on the market right now. It monitors electrical impulses in the body, body heat, and oxygen usage. It does not give you info on heart rate. Calorie burn is based on oxygen use not on heart rate.

If you want to monitor heart rate for cardio health then get a heart rate monitor. If you want an accurate reading of calorie burn, I'd consider the bodybugg. It's pretty amazing....it also counts steps during the day.
  • hadababyitsagirl
    Options
    Thanks for the info..I'm thinking a heart rate watch for my husband and a Body Bugg for me. Like I said he wants to monitor his heart rate during workouts and I want to measure my calorie burn all day. I will look into finding one on ebay or somewhere. Can you tell me how much the program online costs once I have the device?
  • hadababyitsagirl
    Options
    Do i have to have the online program to log the calories or can I just log the calories from the watch here in MFP activity log? Does the calories burned show up on the actual device or do you plug it into the computer and upload it?
  • mkrapf82
    mkrapf82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've always been curious about the Body Bugg, too. I've seen used ones for much cheaper on eBay.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I just looked again and 24hourfitness has the Bodybugg on sale for $175.

http://mystore.24hourfitness.com/search.php?subcat=23