sugar vs agave vs honey vs whatever else

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
if you need something sweet, i.e. to put on plain oatmeal or on grapefruit and so on
which would be better to use?
im not talking just calorie wise but i know that white sugar is pretty bad for you
not sure about agave or honey or like stevia.

So yeah which one is better for your body and for weight loss?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    any of them are good for weight loss if it fits you calorie goal.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Put some sugah- free sizurp on that.

By the way....I put plain old white refined sugar in my coffee..Anything in moderation is fine...my ticker don't lie.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I use splenda. I like it in oatmeal and on grapefruit.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I use brown sugar or maple syrup in my oatmeal. Most of the time brown sugar though, anda quarter teaspoon of cinnamon. and sometimes some soaked raisins. mmmmmmmm!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you need something sweet, i.e. to put on plain oatmeal or on grapefruit and so on
    which would be better to use?
    im not talking just calorie wise but i know that white sugar is pretty bad for you
    not sure about agave or honey or like stevia.

So yeah which one is better for your body and for weight loss?

All really about dosage when talking about how bad something is. Use whichever you prefer the taste of.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use agave because I like the taste and it comes in a convenient squeezy tube that makes it to use. I'm pretty good at eyeballing it now, so I don't have to dirty any measuring cups or spoons for a small amount. It's apparently not so high on the glycemic index, so doesn't spike your blood sugar like white sugar does, but it's the other factors that make me chose it more regularly than white/brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, stevia, etc.

But as I have a sweet tooth, I do use all of them. Usually stevia in tea if I'm feeling the need for sweet, or if I *really* deserve a treat, a teaspoon of white sugar.
  • poemdiva
    poemdiva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use raw sugar due to the slightly caramel taste it gives. Agave I found after a while did a nuumber on my stomach and I had to stop using it. Also found once I stopped using the Agave and Splendas, I didn't need to use as much of the raw sugar. My trainer advised for losing weight not to use the fake sugars but use real sugar in moderation.

Hope that helps!