How often to run?

Options
I've recently began running a lot because I hope to get in good shape for a 10k at the end of the summer. I was wondering if I should be running everyday? or if I should have days off from running?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't run everyday.. Esp if you are new to running.

You risk injury by not properly resting.
  • dlrosen
    dlrosen Posts: 51
    Options
    How often should I run?
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't run every day. You might think about cross training on non-running day and take one day of rest. You should consider following a 10k training plan. Here is a link to a 10k training plan for novices:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    How often should I run?

It depends on your training schedule, but back to back running days generally aren't advised.

When I was doing couch to 5k last summer, I ran every other day.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't run every day. You might think about cross training on non-running day and take one day of rest. You should consider following a 10k training plan. Here is a link to a 10k training plan for novices:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
    Good luck!

^^^
    This.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I run every other day IF i'm feeling okay from the previous days work-out. Today is going to be interesting because last night I had 190 squats plus some intense cardio, BUT I may just run regardless.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and take care of it. If it's complaining from yesterday's run, don't run today. If you feel good, then I see no harm in it.
  • aquapup
    aquapup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I run 3 to 4 days a week in the summer (I'm a wimp and don't like to run in the cold). I'd recommend lifting weights too, when I added lifting and squats to my routine my times dropped. Here is the schedule I follow (for the most part I do stuff comes up plus if my shins bother me or something I switch to walking for a while):

http://www.marathonrookie.com/mini-marathon-training.html
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I run six days a week with one rest day. I think it's important to do your long run the day after your rest day. Good luck!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    When running was my only form of exercise I would run five days a week, no big deal
  • MsLTJ71
    MsLTJ71 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am new to running as well and I find that if I don't give myself at least one day in between run I have slight knee pains. Your body needs time to heal. Like others said I do other things on my run off day like kickboxing, strength training or water aerobics. My run days are Mon, Wed and Sat.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I run 4 days a week - 5kms. on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and then either 7.5kms. or 10kms. on Sundays.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends how long you've been running, what type of runs you're doing, your goals, how you feel, etc. There's no one answer. New runners should probably stick to every other day. If you're a seasoned veteran you probably already know what you can do as a running schedule.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the Hal HIgdon training guide for the novice runner!! And, as a former "I have to run every day to be a *real* runner" girl, may I say. . .don't do it. You WILL eventually injure yourself. Professional athletes may be able to run 5 or more days a week, but we ain't pros!! We're weekend warriors with an agenda. I am in my last 5 weeks of prepping for a half marathon, and I run 3 maybe 4 times a week. I cross train on alternate days. I fully rest at least 1 day a week. Sometimes two. Definitely see improvements to my pain when I am smart about my training!!

Good luck. Running and racing can be addictive!!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club :) I have been running for 15 years and I don't run everyday. I used to run 5-6 days a week then I realized A) I wasn't allowing my body to recover between runs and B) my body was "bored" and I started gaining weight. I agree to run maybe 2-3 times during the week (short/fast runs) and one long(er)/slow(er) run on the weekend. Fill in the other days with some crosstraining and/or yoga. Yoga has really helped me improve my pace (went from 10 min/mi to 8.5 min/mi for 5K).

Good luck and just have fun with it! OH and make sure you have GOOD SHOES!!!!!!
  • dlrosen
    Options
    Thank you all :) I appreciate the advice/help!
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    What do you do for cross training?
  • dlrosen
    Options
    I don't do much cross training besides for walking. I do strength training also