sweet potatoes

moosegt35
moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
I wanted to make mashed sweet potatoes but every recipe I see calls for a bunch of butter. Does anyone have a low calorie recipe for sweet potatoes, preferably mashed?

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    I don't think sweet potatos need anything when mashed. Just cook 'em, mash 'em and eat 'em.

Yesterday I made roasted sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil, maple syrup and balsamic vinaigrette (mixed together) drizzled. Heaven.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    I don't think you need to add anything either because they have such a soft consistency already.

also, try making baked sweet potato chips, they are delish!
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    I like adding some agave nectar and cinnamon, but you could definitely just leave them as is. They get so soft on their own.
  • calimoma
    calimoma Posts: 64
    i just bake mine in the oven til soft. when you cut it open it pretty much mashes with a fork. i add brummel and brown to mine....love it!!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Try the following:

Cut sweet potato in half length wise and heat in oven until soft.

Brown a pound of ground turkey.
    Add a half an onion.
    Mix in barbecue sauce to taste.

Spoon barbeque meat mixture over sweet potato halves.

No butter needed...
    Enjoy...
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    I eat mine with sweet chilli sauce - so unbelievably good! Or sometimes just a small amount of butter and cinnamon, you don't need lots of butter for them to be fluffy and creamy!
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Agreed that they don't need butter! Sometimes I'll add a little dash of garlic infused olive oil, but that's for flavour more than anything.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    you could you a little bit of olive oil if you need to, Or i have even added a table spoon of plain Greek yogurt instead of milk etc.

I usually just salt a pepper and its enough as they are really soft, not like potatoes that need stuff to stop them being to dry and pastey
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Agreed that they don't need butter! Sometimes I'll add a little dash of garlic infused olive oil, but that's for flavour more than anything.

Garlic oils a good idea, But if you don;t want to use oil and still want a garlicky taste i sometimes add a teaspoon of crushed garlic while they are boiling and after you drain the water there should be enough left just to slightly flavor them.
  • emtmissie1
    emtmissie1 Posts: 8 Member
    I spray them w I can't believe it's not butter then sprinkle on some cinnamon..thats it!!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    So do you all boil them or bake before you mash?
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Agreed. You don't have to add anything to them. You can mash them and eat them as is. If you're adamant on adding something, you could try fat free milk, ground cinnamon, pinch of salt.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    I microwave or bake, haven't boiled them as I'd be worried about them going too watery, they really don't take long to get soft!
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    I like to add a little low sodium chicken broth and some fat free sour cream. SO GOOD
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    I like adding a little bit of orange juice to mine. Yummy!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    I microwave mine and mash the insides or chop and add to the slow cooker mix fantastic veg
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    They're great baked with nothing on them. Tastes like dessert to me.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,548 Member
    I microwave until soft, add a touch of margarine, salt & pepper and eat. Mmmmm. No need to mash because they are super soft once cooked.

My husband likes to put A1 on them. Not really my thing though.

I liked that orange juice idea though. Going to have to try that.