Passover

Options
Happy Pesach to all the Jewish MFP members. :)

I know this week is going to be a challenge--especially the two seders! There is so much food that I LOVE and feel like this is my only chance (this week) to eat it. Overeating will be a tough thing for me to avoid.

Any ideas people have for staying strong? If you are Jewish and have done this before, what did you do for Passover?

Replies

• Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump.

are there no other Jewish people on here?!?!
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump again.

seriously?!
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a Christian that celebrates Passover and I understand the conundrum of eating holiday foods vs staying on a diet plan. Personally, I think food is a way people connect, celebrate, and show love for one another. When you laboriously cook, then eat, and celebrate with friends and family, you are sharing in a special bond.
    I really appreciate the Jewish tradition with times of fasting and times of plenty- it is a wonderful depiction of provision and thankfulness in times of abundance. Passover celebrations are one such time of abundance. I say enjoy your meal(s) this week and celebrate with friends and family!
    Hope this helps!
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Lol-I know what you mean! Happy Passover ! Enjoy the time of year. I entered all my recipes after Seder last night so I know what I'm doing calorie wise etc. I plan to enjoy this time of year and all the connectedness with family, friends, memories of past, laughter, and heritage. I hope you do the same!
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I went to a seder last night and only went over my calories by a little bit because I made sure to watch my portions. I tried everything, but had small amounts of several dishes and really loaded up on some of the lower calorie foods. It probably helped that the person whose house I went to is health conscious so there were plenty of veggies which also helped to offset all of that wine;)
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    .. lol tbh im not a very good jew :(... soo what ever your doing is probably better than what im doing :p... I agree with the other comments tho :)
  • Hayleymason2
    Hayleymason2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, My sister and I are both doing MFP and said "sod" it yesterday, we are always on diet and Pessach is once a year. We just couldn't miss out on the chopped liver or cinnamon balls!!!! We couldn't find the calorific value for them so we just put yesterday down to a "very bad day". I know there are so many tempting foods for Pessach but we both but on 2lbs when we weighed ourselves this morning and so its back to being good today.
  • marz1pan
    marz1pan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to pretend seder didn't count since my food choices are so restricted through the end of passover -- who cares if I went over when I'm giving up wheat and soda.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm not jewish, I'm catholic...and I figure that I've restriced myself for 40 days and 40 nights, I can enjoy some Easter yummy goodness. You'll find that you don't binge like you think you will, and you're way more aware of what's going in your mouth. Celebrate "plenty" and be thankful that you can :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Happy passover....

I'm not Jewish, but my best friend is. From what he described will be on his table, it actually all sounds pretty healthy...actually very similar to what I'll be preparing for my Easter dinner on Sunday.

Enjoy...
  • lsgordon02143
    lsgordon02143 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    OP - maybe you didn't get replies at first because we were all in shul or offline. :)

I did laboriously enter/worry my first MFP Passover (last year) but this year have been much lazier. I will probably regret it. I find that I really miss the complex carbs, and so I crave less-good-for-you carbs (matza and butter anyone?)

The best advice I've heard is to eat lots of meat to keep off the hunger, and eat lots of veggies/fruits to keep up the fiber, and wait until next Wednesday. Good luck!!

--Leah
  • kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Passover sucks! I was raised Catholic and though I converted to Judaism 10 years ago I still have a hard time adjusting. I tend to not count calories during Passover and I hate limiting my boys.