What do you do when you're ill?

Options
I've been sick with something for well over a month now. I wake up every morning with a sore throat (due to drainage) and a stuffy nose. Within a few hours I usually feel almost normal, but have to blow my nose several times during the day. I usually feel fine when I go to bed, but last night I had a sore throat at night too and my nose is getting raw.

I'm wondering if I need to take a short break from the diet & exercise to see if that helps me regain my health? But I hate to do that if it won't make a difference. I'd like to hear what others do when they're sick.

Replies

• barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have allergies that do that when the season changes or for months at a time during winter. I take sinus/allergy pills. It helps out tons! Drink drink drink water. And when I'm feeling miserable to the point of unbearable I will still go to the gym but walk at a slow pace and watch TV or bike at an easy pace. It won't get you anywhere but at least you're moving and maintaining. Oh and make certain you are getting all the important nutrients you need! :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If I'm vomiting or have a fever, I'll stop my workout and diet until I recover. If it's more along the lines of the common cold or allergies, I will take over-the-counter medicine and continue my diet/workout plan like normal.

Hope you feel better :)
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I feel. If I'm really run down and nasty feeling I usually lay off the workouts. If I'm just kind of sniffly feeling, I try to behave as usual. I've been sick most of this month, started with bronchitis a few weeks ago, then stomach bug last week. I've really slacked off my exercise for about the past three weeks, but between not being able to breathe and not being able to keep anything in my stomach and a fever, I think it was the best to rest and recoup.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sorry you aren't feeling the best. :( I wouldn't take a complete break from it. (the lymphatic system, which contains the stuff that helps fight infections, relies a good deal on muscles to move around the body!) That said, don't exercise to the point of exhaustion. If your body is fighting something, it will need energy to do so. So keep it light-- see if it helps.

(also, it's been over a month? have you seen a doctor?)

Take care!
  • PoshyChristine
    PoshyChristine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lay off the workouts, Rest my body, and grab organic veggies and shove them in my juicer to restore my way body back to health.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    sorry you feel like this, since 2009 I get that way, with the exception of feeling fine at night. I feel worst at night, and after about two weeks, the nose blowing starts. I don't eat much during that time, nor do I exercise much - and i lose weight. when i get well in about a month, i get my usual MFP appetite back, start back exercising, and the pounds come back.
  • Caletagirl
    Caletagirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would just eat as much fruit and veg as possible and drink as much water as possible. Make sure you get the nutrients you need to get better. If you are feeling really bad, and can't face a full workout, just go for a walk, little and often.
    I have been poorly the last week and I had a few days where I just couldn't be bothered to cook but I am now back on it. I have been suffering with my chest, so not been doing exercise but I have been having walks and eating as best I can.
    Take care and hope you feel better soon
  • BrittneyT2
    BrittneyT2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! No, I haven't been to the doctor- dont feel bad enough to be willing to pay that bill :-) plus I haven't had a fever so I don't think it's anything serious. I was wondering about allergies but never get them and this started in the dead of winter- weird. It's just getting really annoying feeling like this every day. I'm thinking of stoping the exercise but keeping with my calorie goal. But I'm within 3lbs of the minimum healthy weight for my height, so I'm worried about losing much since I won't be strength training to add muscle....but I doubt I'd lose 3lbs in the 1 week timeframe I'm considering, so I guess that's okay. Also it's probably not dangerous if I'm underweight for a very short time & then focus on adding back muscle?
  • BrittneyT2
    Options
    Wanted to add that while my overall weight is low, I still have a lot of body fat to lose. Started this process with almost no muscle.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have had similar issues - I had bronchitis and then a cold - now lingering sinus issues.
    I bought a humidifier - this has helped so I don't wake up with a sore throat from dry air.
    I used mucinex when I had my cold because I was still so congested from bronchitis.
    Now that it is all in my sinuses and ears I bought some sudafed and that helps a LOT.
    Taking Emergen-C (I think airborn works too) when I start feeling sick or at the worst.
    LOTS of liquids (which I already do anyway but try to keep on it).

I am also thinking about getting an air purifier for my bedroom but researching brands.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If you feel okish and your cold is above your neck, do a gentle workout but if its below your chest, you need to rest.
    If its allergy related you can buy antihistamines over the counter that will clear your sinus.
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have read on WebMD and Mayo Clinic that you can do the "neck test" to see if it safe to exercise. If the illness is in/above your neck (sore throat, stuffy nose, watery eyes, etc.) it is ok to exercise. You should take a break if it is below the neck (hacking cough, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, etc.)

I was feeling sick for a very long time, almost a month, with below neck symptoms, but once my only symptom was a cough I started working out again and voila! The next day I felt completely better! I think it boosts the immune system.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I drink whisky starting in the morning til the time I pass out sometime mid afternoon. Alcohol kills germs.
  • BrittneyT2
    Options
    Already tried antihistamines with no help.
    Thanks for the health tips on when it's safe to exercise! I think I'll take it easy today and then take a long walk tomorrow at a comfortable pace.
    I have to admit the whiskey plan sounds fun, lol!