Losing Momentum

Options
Hey everyone! I am going to put myself out there because I haven't before and I need to try something different. Right now I am doing pretty well... getting my workouts in, eating well. I will do this and lose about 13-15 lbs (My goal is 25) and then I get comfortable. I slack off and eventually get out of my routine all together. I have been trying to lose the 25lbs of baby weight for THREE YEARS now. Every time I vow that this is it and every time I lose a little bit and then gain it all back after getting too comfortable. What do you guys do to stay motivated?

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I can already feel myself slipping back into some old habits. I'll be interested to see what others say about this.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I just want it.. really really want it...
  • osupike35
    osupike35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hang up pictures of myself around my place of when I was at my heaviest (280) and seeing that just sort of makes me mad to the point where I refuse to slack off. Also, before you bed you might write something positive down for you to read the next morning to motivate you.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    funny you should ask--saw this on yahoo today:
    http://health.yahoo.net/articles/obesity/how-keep-your-diet-track

hang in there!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a commercial for MFP, but logging on here and hanging with my MFP friends& hearing about what they're doing and how it's going has really helped keep me committed. I've only been a member here about 5 weeks but THIS round of fitness chasing has been going on since January. I was really losing my focus until I joined here - since then I've been doing MUCH better.

Good luck!
  • KJLDavies
    KJLDavies Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really like osupike35's idea! I've been where you're at before... I've tried NutriSystem, Weight Watchers, and just plain dieting! And all of them worked, really! I just got tired of doing them or slowly became less and less motivated to log in, eat right, ect. This time, things are a bit different. First off, instead of saying "if I lose the weight" I say "when I lose the weight". I constantly picture myself at a smaller size! I like to put my favorite pair of jeans (now literally 4 sizes too small for me) on top of all my pants that do fit so that every single time I put on a pair of pants, I see my favorite pair and think "I'm going to fit back into those some day!". There are different types of motivation, but I really think that the biggest thing is that you have to remember it's a "life-style" change. Instead of getting to feel too comfortable and slipping back, you have to stick with long enough so that eating right and exercising IS the comfortable way of life. I hope this helps, and best of luck!
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Add friends to help support and motivate you to reach your goals and has really helped me. Feel free to add me if you like. Good luck in your journey.
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    Couple things:

Write down WHY you want to lose the weight. Put that and a 'bad' pic on the fridge door so you see it every time you get the munchies

Lay out your kit for training when you are fired up and motivated (for me usually just before I go to bed because tomorrow is always going to be The Day I Do It)

Tell people who will hold you accountable what you are doing

If you are struggling to make a number of changes make a list of all the changes you want to make then tackle one at a time. ( I am currently trying to cut out caffeine. I will focus on this until caffeine free is routine (usually about 2 weeks), not an effort, then I'm going to hit my sugar consumption) Cross it off when you've done it, reward yourself (manicure, new top, night out) then move right on to the next item.

Put your ticker in your sigtnature and be motivated as your marker moves right.

Hope those help.

Good luck
    Luc x
  • DSMmom
    DSMmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me too! But let's just take it a day at a time. I choose today. Forget about yesterday, stop making plans for tomorrow. What are you going to do right now? What are you going to do later today? What decision can you make right now that will make a difference? me? I'm NOT going to have a mid-morning snack and later, I'm going for another walk!

If I dwell on mistakes I've made, I'm doomed. If I start thinking too much about what I have to do tomorrow, the next day, the next week, the next month, etc. It gets too overwhelming. So, just today. That's all I need to worry about.

Hang in there. Go do something.
  • nikmic1807
    Options
    this is awesome... the one day at a time is key in all the other areas of my life- funny how I never thought to apply it here! Thanks :)