Chia Seeds?

Options
1lisalou
1lisalou Posts: 44 Member
Anyone tried using the chia seeds? I just started using them yesterday. I know they have some positive health benefits but, I have read that they can help you feel full also. I am very curious to hear feedback from anyone that has used them. Thanks!!

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I put them in smoothies. I guess they help with that. Didn't notice a huge effect though to be honest.They just were around to be a source of protein in my smoothies since they didn't help with fullness.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use them daily in my breaky smoothie. I haven't noticed a difference but it gives the smoothie texture.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat them every day. I use them more for nutrition than satiety as I also don't notice any real difference. I have them with Greek yogurt, berries and flax.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I put them in my home made muesli but you can use them in baking, on salads, smoothies, anyhow you like really.

If you are going out check your teeth in the mirror after eating them cos they got stuck everywhere lol :laugh:
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice anything but diluted flavor and a change in the texture... they get pretty slimy when they absorb liquid. I tried them for a few weeks but never felt any benefit. I guess if you were an indian living a few hundred years ago, they would be much better than some of the available foods... and would have been a great thing. Spend that money on a good multivitamin or fish oil, IMO.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't use them, but I was just talking to a girl who does. She told me she likes them because they seem to give her more energy. Has anyone else seen this effect?
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use them primarily as fuel during long (>10mi) runs. I put 3 tablespoons in at least a cup of water the night before and leave 'em in there. By morning it's this slurry mixture that I add organic raw honey and cinnamon to as I'm heading out the door. Makes my run ridiculously awesome.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've used chia, flax, and hemp seeds. I noticed I preferred using chia seeds with flaxseeds. Together they filled me up, separately not so much. When I mixed them, I did 1 tablespoon of each. They're a great source of protein and fiber. I'd need to try them during the winter to see if they give more protein or not. I always have more energy when it's warm lol!

The only reason I stopped buying them was price. I found a couple stores that have them at a good price, I just don't feel like going out my way sometimes.....or I forget and accidentally by flaxseeds (like last time -_-).
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of chia seeds, coconut milk, and a touch of agave syrup and leave them overnight. It makes a tapioca like pudding that I either eat as part of breakfast or just a snack. If I eat the whole bowl, it makes me feel very full. Sometimes I can't finish the whole bowl. :P

Also don't eat to many at once, it can get....painful a few hours later....
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've eaten at least 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds every day for a few years now. I soak them in almond milk and eat them as my evening snack. To be honest, I haven't really noticed any changes in my life since adding them to my diet, but I eat pretty healthy already. My 72 year old Father has become obsessed with them, and claims they have cured his arthritis and given him increased energy. They certainly can't hurt and they are supposed to be good for cleaning the lining of your intestines (much better than bulky fiber).
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I put them in scrambled eggs, my 6 year old loves the crunch of them.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've put them in green smoothies for over a year. Maybe a half to one dozen times per month. I don't think they can hurt, and have favorable fats and other nutrition. And I think if consumed with water during dieting it can only help you feel fuller. Just eat them quick once you add them to water, or it ends up like a tapiocca... but less tasty.
  • 1lisalou
    Options
    More energy sounds like a great benefit! Thanks for all the great information! I will continue to use them for the next 6 weeks and see what they do for me. I could use more fuel for the workouts and love the extra protein and fiber.
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use them primarily as fuel during long (>10mi) runs. I put 3 tablespoons in at least a cup of water the night before and leave 'em in there. By morning it's this slurry mixture that I add organic raw honey and cinnamon to as I'm heading out the door. Makes my run ridiculously awesome.

This sounds pretty good actually, do you drink it right before you run or take it with you?
  • 1lisalou
    Options
    I put them in scrambled eggs, my 6 year old loves the crunch of them.

Good to know your 6 year old likes them. I am going to start sneaking them into my (2) 9 yr old and 12 year old's diet. I usually make smoothies after school. So easy to sneak extra fruit and veggies in.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I add them to my fruit and yogurt in the morning. Usually a tablespoon or two. I find it's a good way to boost up my fiber intake while avoiding processed carbs. They do tend to get stuck in your teeth, and they turn into a weird gel. They're definitely interesting!
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Similar to the above.

I throw a tablespoon in with my yogurt. I started eating them because of the high fiber. I never get anywhere near enough. 5g for the one tablespoon, plus 3g of protein.

I tried soaking them, but the gelatinous blob it turned into made me gag at the sight :p
  • Blueyedtine
    Blueyedtine Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Totally going to try this! Thanks for the tip!
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal, kashi go lean, or yogurt along with flaxseed every morning. I eat them for the health benefits, I don't believe they give me extra energy but they keep me from being hungry all morning.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds get gooey when disolved in water. They are a great way to help detox your body. They encase the toxins and move them safely out of your system. I havent' added them to my diet yet, but it's on the horizon.