“SPIN” must translate to “DEATH” in some foreign language

Options
2»

Replies

• watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love spin!!! So much fun and a great workout. I like intervals or strength but I really don't like "all about speed". But a great workout when I don't feel like running!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    LOve spin. Its my favorite workout. My first couple weeks I always thought I was going to be sick, but its better now. Last week the woman beside me kept leaning over to see the time on my HRM....it was her first class and she was counting down the minutes!
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    The line starts at 4 45 am for our spin class at the gym, you can actually not get a bike if you stroll to the door at 5 55 lol
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I taught Spin/cycle classes, 6-8 weekly, for 14 years and obviously, loved, loved teaching that format! Your knees shouldn't hurt so ask your instructor to check your bike set-up. Also, after a few classes the seat should start feeling more comfortable...a pair of padded bike shorts will make the experience even better. Padded bike seats can cause additional friction which will make you miserable.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it! I love love LOVE RPM classes. But definitely relax the death grip. Also make sure on the climbs you are not leaning heavy on your handle bars. The weight and pressure should be in the lower half of your body. When you are seated your hand should have light pressure in them but you are still able to wiggle your fingers. Give that a try and see if that helps.
  • jules3point3
    jules3point3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I *love* spinning! I did a spin/sculpt class this morning. 1 hour spinning, 20 minutes sculpt while spinning low intensity and 10 minutes core. It was awesome! According to my polar ft60 I burned 776 calories. Loved it!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    We used to call the spin instructor at the gym "Miss NoButt".
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! I had a great instructor when I was living in California, but I'm at a bare bones gym now. I kind of miss it, but I cycle along the river instead.

Your knees shouldn't be bothering you. Sounds like you need to adjust your seat (probably forward/backward, not up down). Same for wrists. Adjust your handlebars to the right height and keep a bend in your elbows. Gotta support yourself with your core, not your arms.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I do Spin class 2 times a week and Tabata Spin once a week. I love Spin. I go to an all female gym and most people in the class with me are older than me and about the same size as me. They all go faster but I am getting better. I love the way I feel like passing out after!

I just did Tabata Spin! Now THAT is one hell of a workout.

YES Tabata spin feels like death. That's what I just got back from and my quads/hams/glutes are still twitching.

OP, if your wrists were hurting, arrive earlier next time and have the instructor help you set up your bike. You shouldn't ever need to put weight on your wrists. It also might be that you need to add more gear. You'll feel more stable when your pedal strokes are heavier.

More gear also = less butt pain from the seat and a higher burn. Win win win.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Spinning is my last resort workout. I don't love it but I can't deny it's burn.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Your knees shouldn't be bothering you. Sounds like you need to adjust your seat (probably forward/backward, not up down). Same for wrists. Adjust your handlebars to the right height and keep a bend in your elbows. Gotta support yourself with your core, not your arms.

The instructor set the bike up for me in the first place.

She did come along and adjust my seat during class, which made it easier on knees.

Unfortunately, with wrists, there was nothing she could do because I was too short limbed for that particular bike and by then the other bikes were taken. I couldn't reach the handlebars without leaning over, even on the closest setting. Next time I will do the other two kinds of bikes they have- both of those have straight up handles I can easily reach.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I just did Tabata Spin!

Is that like Tabatas in CrossFit? 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off?
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just did Tabata Spin!

Is that like Tabatas in CrossFit? 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off?

Yeah, 20 seconds of sprinting/surging (sometimes with resistance) or fast jumps, followed by 10 seconds of rest.
  • I spin at least four days a week, when you attend consistently the seat doesn't hurt at all anymore. I get the best workout, and I have lost a significant amount of fat % since going consistently. I ABSOULTELY LOVE IT! I would recommned the cycling shoes! Gives you more control over the bike, and really working out the right muscles...find a cheap pair they will be worth it! I think I'm going to start trail riding soon too!
  • ewestsca
    ewestsca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love spin and I'm going tonight. Just like everyone else said, keeping your core straight will allow the weight to come off your wrists. You should image a string going from the top of your head to your tail bone, keep the "string" straight and your knees will feel better, your wrists will feel better and your endurance/breathing will become better.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    SPIN Class Aftermath

So today my quads and, uh, “saddle areas” are incredibly sore. It’s like walking on rubberlegs. Going upstairs is ok, but downstairs is a killer. The absolute worst part about this? Is looking at the calendar and ACTUALLY considering going today’s class. I had to smack myself back to reality. HAHA. I will be there tomorrow.

It was an excellent workout, and every couple of months I like to try something new.