Office Fitness Suggestions, Yo...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
My company is looking for suggestions to improve employee fitness, etc... They already do A LOT, but, what about "fitness at your desk" suggestions. Anyone?

All I can think of is a balance ball chair, but there has to be other cool "at your desk" stuff out there.

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    food pushaways?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    food pushaways?

Or maybe just a gremlin under your desk that smacks food out of your hands every time you try to eat...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    156988-4_steelcase_original.jpg
  • odusgolp
    Options

Dude, that's awesome.

We do have an electric lift on a desk so that an employee can work standing if she chooses. Which is pretty rockstar.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options

I want one of ^^those^^. My boss said no. It might have something to do with breaking my wrist while walking. I didn't trip, I just fell. :blushing:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    food pushaways?

Or maybe just a gremlin under your desk that smacks food out of your hands every time you try to eat...

somebody akin to Nic O'trel would probably be good too...

99onicotrel1.jpg
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options

I would fall flat on my face. I can't seem to multi-task while on the treadmill. No balance, whatsoever..
  • odusgolp
    Options
    food pushaways?

somebody akin to Nic O'trel would probably be good too...

99onicotrel1.jpg

Nice *LOL*
  • julesy_b
    julesy_b Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Technically its not desk exercise but I wear a pedometer to work most days. I have a 'desk job' but its amazing the amount of steps you take up and down and wandering for files etc.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Technically its not desk exercise but I wear a pedometer to work most days. I have a 'desk job' but its amazing the amount of steps you take up and down and wandering for files etc.

Same here! I have the FitBit, and I try to get at least 5000 steps during work! Mail run, filing etc
  • odusgolp
    Options

Our company gave us all free pedometers which was most cool!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    connect fitness bands to your chair :) no joke

Also - our company participates in Brain Gym (check it - more like mind fitness but good)
  • Hadley_SM
    Hadley_SM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We have these in my work in the "common" areas of the hallways!! :) You can reserve them for 1 hour periods at a time. People are also allowed to get "standing desk work stations." So basically your computer is raised and you stand while you work without the treadmill.

We also have the balance stools.... (they are the same concept as the ball chairs.)

You can bring exercise bands and do things with them at your desk...

Personally, every 45 minutes when my Jawbone Up band vibrates, I either get up and get more water, do 10-15 pushups on the ground right by my desk, or do a plank. Thinking Im gonna start doing some wall sits too!

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    kegels.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    kegels.

Is that in the MFP database?
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    kegels.

Is that in the MFP database?

Kegels, Vigorous Effort 69 calories.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We have walking stations kind of like the picture the person posted. There is a computer and a phone on top of a treadmill.

Also, I was just sent an email regarding this subject:

5-Minute Calorie-Blasting Routine You Can Do In Your Office

If you have an office or work from home, this is ideal. If you are in a cubicle or wide open workspace you may want to consider rallying the troops and creating an office-wide challenge group. Set reminders on your smartphones or computers throughout the day and when those alarms go off; jump up and get down. Do this circuit training routine at least three times throughout your day to experience the benefits of high intensity intermittent training without having to get to the gym.
    Clear some space (and ladies, be sure to kick off your heels!) before you begin.
    1. High Knees and Front Kicks (1 minute): This exercise will help you warm up your body. To avoid injury, never go straight into a power move, like a burpee, without a proper warm up.
    Make a target with your palms at least hip height, and begin to hit your knees to your palms, one leg at a time. Keep your core tight, and use it to lift your legs. Around the 30-second mark, begin to kick each leg out after the knee, turning it into a front kick.

2. Squats into Jump Squats (1 minute): Squats are one of the best exercises to tone your lower body, namely your butt and thighs. Separate your feet at least hip width. Depending on your hip flexibility, you can also turn your feet out slightly if that feels more comfortable, as long as your knees track (point) over your toes. Sit your booty back as if you were reaching for your office chair (you can even use one as your target). Just before you reach your imaginary seat, stand back up. Do this for 30 seconds or for a full minute.
    If you are more advanced in your fitness, add a jump at the top of your squat and be sure to land with soft knees. Continue through until you have reached 60 seconds. This will add power to your exercise, increase your heart rate, and shape your calves.

3. Push-ups (1 minute): A push-up isn't just to pump up your chest. It also works your core and chisels your shoulders and triceps.
    Choose your push-up position, either on your knees or on your toes in a high plank. Keep your spine aligned and lower your chest as far as you can without hitting the ground and press your body back up. Your elbows should point behind you at a 45-degree angle from your body.
    One minute is a long time for push-ups, so take breaks when you need to.

4. Plank (1 minute): Work all of the muscles in your core including your lower back and abs. Similar to the push up position, your body is kept flat like a board, and you are holding yourself up on your forearms and toes. Hold your belly in tightly and hold position as long as you can without breaking form. Rest when you need to.

5. Burpees (1 minute): I'm sure you remember this total body, calorie-blasting exercise from high school gym class. Squat to the floor, place your hands down and jump your feet back to a push up position. Then come back up the same way you went down. Repeat as many times as you can in 60 seconds.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/keep-fit-at-the-office#ixzz2OHZrygnq
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Uh, watch the documentary "Weight of a Nation". They had a fantastic section in it on office fitness and getting people in sedentary jobs more active. :)
  • Blueyedtine
    Blueyedtine Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump!