Daily "sugar" goal

Options
THICOK
THICOK Posts: 10 Member
My daily sugar goal is 35. If I eat an apple, that consumes almost half of that amount. Does anyone know why this number is so low?

Any guidance is appreciated! Thanks.
Tammy

Replies

• penelopia
    penelopia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tiffr660
    tiffr660 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! It's very tough to keep my sugar at or below 40g and I REFUSE to use a sugar substitute. It seems to defeat the purpose. I just started occasionally using Stevia Extract but try to limit it as much as possible.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The number is based on the recommended daily allowance for added sugar. It doesn't account for naturally occurring sugars from fruit, milk, etc.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar number.
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The only should you should concern yourself with is ADDED suagr. Not naturally occurring sugar in fruits! And you can do this manually and not my mfp standards!
  • eastouip
    eastouip Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Ignore the Sugar comments. I just joined yesterday, coming from the WW website (which does not track sugar), and I was concerned when the milk and banana in my cereal almost killed my whole day's sugar. Phew!
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What the others have said - don't worry about the numbers but rather the choices as far as where the sugar comes from. I hit 50-60g yesterday but I had a veggie/fruit smoothie so I didn't worry about it. Never feel bad about eating an apple or banana, that's just silly to me.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of monitoring my sugar number as well. I freaked when I seen how much I was eating until I noticed that it all came from fruits and vegetables. As long as you read labels and do not add any sugar to your food then you are doing great! The only macros i track are protein, fiber, carbs, fat and sodium
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I hear that sugar from fruit is good for you and other times I hear that our bodies can't tell the difference between different types of sugar. I just finished a Paleo challenge I did through my gym that was all about eating high nutrient foods and cutting out low nutrient foods. They told us to have no more than a closed handful of fruit at each sitting. We needed it for the nutrients but were supposed to keep our servings small because of the sugar content in them.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not convinced that we should simply disregard sugar because we are getting it in fruits. Maybe we should keep that limit anyway and make sure most of that sugar comes from nutrient rich sources most of the time.

Does anyone know of any studies done comparing high sugar intake from fruit vs high sugar intake from candy/added sugar?
  • Dorogram
    Dorogram Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mine is 25 and I want to know the same thing!
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I spoke to my chiropractor, who is also trained in nutrition about sugar. This is what he sent me back. It's from his phone, so it's short.

"Has nothing to do with sugar. It's all about insulin. Fruit raises insulin just like refined sugary. Has to so u don't die. Low glycemic fruit is fine cause your insulin doesn't raise"

I remember going to a seminar of his talking about insulin. From my understand, eating things that constantly cause insulin to spike can lead to your body not reacting correctly to it... or not releasing enough of it maybe...

Long story short, the constant insulin spikes is what can lead to diabetes and that's why sugars of all kinds should be limited.

I found this site pretty good at dividing out fruits that are low or high glycemic for those who are interested.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-and-worst-fruits/

Thoughts?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I spoke to my chiropractor, who is also trained in nutrition about sugar. This is what he sent me back. It's from his phone, so it's short.

"Has nothing to do with sugar. It's all about insulin. Fruit raises insulin just like refined sugary. Has to so u don't die. Low glycemic fruit is fine cause your insulin doesn't raise"

I remember going to a seminar of his talking about insulin. From my understand, eating things that constantly cause insulin to spike can lead to your body not reacting correctly to it... or not releasing enough of it maybe...

Long story short, the constant insulin spikes is what can lead to diabetes and that's why sugars of all kinds should be limited.

I found this site pretty good at dividing out fruits that are low or high glycemic for those who are interested.

Thoughts?

A chiropractor? I'd ask what kind of "training in nutrition" he has.
  • sarahhuff08
    sarahhuff08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yeah i never stay with in my sugar limits everything else is good but never stay in sugar limits . i eat fruit every morning or smoothy and i am not cutting that from my plan
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Thank you. I am going to look at the website and do some of my own research. I have always been told by others to only watch my added sugar intake, not from fruits or vegetables. I only eat a large amount of fruit in the summer when it is in season, so I am hoping to find out more before that time comes. For now I eat one banana, one apple and one orange a day. Thanks again for the food for thought. :)
  • THICOK
    THICOK Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I appreciate the input.

Tammy