I need a Chicken Parmisian Recipe!

Options
_SpeshK_
_SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
Anybody have some good ones? I am wanting to cook dinner for my boyfriend this weekend and I want to do a salad and green bean casserole for myself...I'll probably grill the chicken for me and I want to do chicken parm w/ spaghetti for him.

Anyone have a good, but simple to follow recipe? I am new to cooking/baking so I would love your advice!

Thanks!

Also if anyone has a good green bean or other veggie casserole???

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Anybody have some good ones? I am wanting to cook dinner for my boyfriend this weekend and I want to do a salad and green bean casserole for myself...I'll probably grill the chicken for me and I want to do chicken parm w/ spaghetti for him.

Anyone have a good, but simple to follow recipe? I am new to cooking/baking so I would love your advice!

Thanks!

Here is my eggplant parmesan. Just sub eggplant for chicken.

Eggplant Parmesan

1/3 cup breadcrumbs
    1 tsp Italian seasoning (basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary and thyme)
    ½ tsp garlic powder
    1 medium eggplant
    2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
    1 cup tomato sauce
    ½ cup marble or mozzarella cheese shredded

Directions: Preheat oven to 350º, coat baking dish with cooking spray. Combine breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in medium sized bowl. Remove skin from eggplant, trim off ends and slice eggplant into ½ inch thick slices. Dip eggplant into egg whites then into bread crumb mixture. Bake eggplant on a non-stick cooking sheet until lightly browned approximately 25 minutes flipping once. Place a layer of eggplant on the bottom of the prepared baking dish, add ½ the tomato sauce and ½ the cheese; add second layer and top with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 15 minutes.

WW Points: 6 (serves 2 and serves alot! You could feed 4 easily)
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    [/quote]

I have this simple one (all of mine are simple - if there is too many ingrediants I don't do it) but I have not yet tested it.

Green Bean Casserole

1 can Campbell’s Low-fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
    ½ cup 1% milk
    1 tsp soy sauce
    2 ½ cups green beans, frozen
    Pepper to taste

Directions: Mix soup, milk, soy sauce and pepper together. Add green beans. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 min. or until hot.

WW Points: 2
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

and as far as the egg whites are concerned, I normally use the egg beaters all egg-white cartons...how much of that do you think would equal two large? maybe 1/2 cup? 1 cup? lol I am very new!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Chicken parm is one of those things that I know how to make but don't really have a recipe for. This looks close to what I do...

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/chickparm.htm
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I have a green bean casserole recipe but its probly not the healthiest. Here it is anyway.

2 cans of french cut green beans
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    shredded cheese mixed in
    quarter of a can of cheddar fried onions.

Bake according to directions, including the last 5 minutes covered with the rest of the cheddar fried onions.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    cookinglight.com is the site where i get all my recipes from. I'm sure they have tons of recipes for the chicken parm and green bean dish you are wanting to make. Once you master those dishes make your boyfriend risotto...he will LOVE the dish and you will love how low in calories it is. My recipe is a weight watchers recipe for mushroom risotto at http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/10/risotto-is-creamy-italian-rice-dish.html. Good luck :-)
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

and as far as the egg whites are concerned, I normally use the egg beaters all egg-white cartons...how much of that do you think would equal two large? maybe 1/2 cup? 1 cup? lol I am very new!

Your welcome! It says on the side of the egg beaters carton, it is something like 2 tbsp and 1 tsp = 1 egg. I just use 2 tbsp = 1 egg for convenience and one less spoon to wash, LOL!
  • nd4sxs
    nd4sxs Posts: 5
    Options
    Here is a recipe from the Clean Eating magazine that I really enjoyed:

olive oil spray
    2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup white onion, diced
    1 green bell pepper, seeded & diced
    2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp dried oregano, divided
    1 28-oz jar crushed organic tomatoes
    1 tbsp organic tomato paste
    1/2 cup whole wheat pannko bread crumbs (find in Japanese aisle)
    1 tbsp reduced fat Parmesan cheese, grated
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    4 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1 inch thickness
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard (I omitted this and used water or skim milk instead)
    1/2 cup part skim milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
    8 oz cooked whole-wheat penne (or your fav. pasta)
    1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

1) Preheat oven to 400. coat a large baking sheet with the cooking spray.

2) Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and saute 3 to 5 minutes until veggies are soft. Add 1 tsp oregano and stir to coat. Cook 30 seconds, add tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.

3) Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, combine panko, Parmesan, remaining oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork to combine. Brush both sides of chicken breast with Dijon (I dipped mine in skim milk, not a big fan of Dijon) Transfer each breast to panko mixture and turn to coat each side. Arrange chicken on prepared baking sheet. Coat surface of chicken with cooking spray. Bake 20 mines

4) Top each chicken breast with 2 to 3 tbsp tomato sauce and tbsp mozzarella. Return chicken to oven and bake 10 minutes more, until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.

5) Arrange pasta on a serving plate and top with remaining tomato sauce. serve chicken with pasta on the side, garnish both with basil.

Combined with pasta:
    calories: 439
    Total Fat: 12
    Sat Fat: 2.5
    Carbs: 43
    Fiber: 5.5
    Sugars: 3
    Protein: 34.5
    Sodium: 585
    Cholesterol: 70
  • JENROMERO
    JENROMERO Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't have the recipe with me, but if you go to Cook YourSelf Thin's website, they have a great recipe there. I've made it and not only did I like it, my teenagers did too! Good luck!
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting a good Eggplant Parmigiana recipe and this sounds great! I'm all about recipes with few ingredients. :happy: Thanks for sharing!
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    Measurements aren't going to be perfect, but this is the basic.

Italian Style Bread Crumbs, enough to lightly cover a dinner plate
    1- egg well beaten
    1 tbs- garlic powder
    1 tbs- dried sweet basil
    2- thin slices fresh mozarrella cheese, or shredded cheese
    Marinara Sauce or other favorite pasta sauce
    1 chicken breast per person

Tur
    Place the chicken breast between 2 pieces of wax paper and pound thin (I recommend a rolling pin for this)
    Mix the bread crumbs, garlic powder and sweet basil together and spread out on a dinner plate
    Lightly cover the bottom of an over proof skillet* with olive oil (a diffuser is perfect here) and place on medium heat
    Place chicken breast in beaten egg, lift and let excess drain. Place in bread crumbs and coat. Turn on broiler to high. Let chicken rest for 1 minute.
    Fry chicken breast in oil, should only take 3-4 minutes per side if you thinned the breast out well. A small slice in the center can be used to check doneness and will be hidden by the next step, just don't cut the side.

Place 2-3 tablespoons of sauce on top on chicken breast. Cover with cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.

*If you don't have an over proof skillet, follow to last step. Turn heat down to low and cover pan until cheese melts.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I do mine I flatten a chicken breast ,
    bash it with rolling pin ,
    dip in egg
    then a very light dusting of flour
    ,blitz breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese together
    dip it in then fry it of grill or oven bake ,its lovely :)
  • neglet
    neglet Posts: 20
    Options
    I like this Cooking Light Recipe, it has a crispier texture because of the corn flakes. When my son was little, he called it "yummy chicken."

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 t. garlic powder
    1/4 t. paprika
    1/4 t. pepper
    6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    2 egg whites, lightly beaten
    2 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
    1 jar low-fat spaghetti sauce
    3/4 c. (3 oz) low-fat part-skim mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine first 4 ingredients in shallow dish; dredge each piece of chicken in flour mixture. Dip each piece of chicken in egg whites, then coat in crushed cornflakes.

Arrange chicken in 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until crisp. Heat spaghetti sauce and pour over chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Yields six servings of 1 chicken breast and 1/2 cup sauce: 342 calories, 10 g fat (3 saturated), 33 carbs, 4.5 g fiber, 29 g protein, 858 mg sodium.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chronosfire
    Options
    The Hungry Girl one is awesome! I even substituted the mozzarella for Laughing Cow Light, and it worked just as good and cut down a few calories.

Ingredients:
    5 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast (raw)
    1/3 cup Fiber One cereal
    1/4 cup Egg Beaters, Original**
    3/4 tsp. reduced fat grated parmesan cheese
    1 oz. (approx. 1/4 cup) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
    1/3 cup canned tomato sauce
    Optional: garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Add parmesan to crumbs (if desired, season crumbs with optional spices, as well). Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another. Next, pound your chicken so it's a bit flattened. Coat raw chicken on both sides with egg substitute, and then coat with crumb mixture. Place chicken on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Spray a light mist of nonstick spray on top of chicken and place in oven. Cook for 10 minutes, and then turn chicken over. Add another light mist of nonstick spray and cook for an additional 10 - 12 minutes (or until chicken is fully cooked and coating looks crispy). Meanwhile, if desired, mix tomato sauce with your seasonings of choice. Remove chicken from oven, top with sauce and then cheese, and return chicken to oven until cheese is melted. Enjoy! Serves 1.

Serving Size: 1 chicken breast (entire recipe)
    Calories: 295
    Fat: 3.5g
    Sodium: 890mg
    Carbs: 27g
    Fiber: 11g
    Sugars: 3.5g
    Protein: 46.5g

*5 Points