Does anyone else have hundreds of pounds to lose?

Options
I'm probably alone on this one, but thought I would see. :)

I'm new to MFP, but not new to trying to lose weight. I've been heavy on and off throughout my entire life, but never as badly as this. I was 190 pounds in January 2001 and by March of 2001 I had shot up to 240 pounds (that's right, 140 pounds in three months) and it's only gotten worse. I am a diagnosed compulsive overeater and I don't have a switch that tells me I'm full, so that's why it was so easy for me to gain so much in such a short time. Luckily I haven't binged since 2009, but I still have major issues overeating (which would probably be considered bingeing by most *normal* peoples standards, but I know what my binges are like and I haven't had one of those in a long, long time).

In 2004 my doctor at the time told me that surgery was going to be the only thing that would help me. I didn't want to hear that and I think it actually worked against me, as I only got bigger.

In 2006 I reached my highest weight ever and that is when I decided that I had to do something serious. And I wanted to prove to my old doctor that surgery wasn't it. I tried every diet and fat diet under the sun (most from a very young age, even though I'd give anything to be my *fattest* in high school now, hahaha) and nothing seemed to work for me until I tried Nutrisystem. I lost 100 pounds in my first three months on the program and went on to lose over 200 pounds in 1.5 years (even if I was only halfway to goal). Then I fell back into my bingeing habits and fought the up and down game, only to gain all my weight back.

Since 2009 I've lost and regained the same 150 pounds over and over. As quickly as I can take it off, I can put it back on (even without bingeing like I used, just by merely overeating). I've now gained almost 60 pounds on top my highest weight and I am back and focused more than ever. I'm really good at losing and gaining, horrible at keeping it off and that's what I need to work on now. I'm too heavy for surgery, so that is not an option for me...just hard work and determination.

I'd love to know that there are others out there who have more than 100 or even 200 pounds to lose, but I will take all the motivation, inspiration, and support I can get, as this is going to be a long journey for me.

Replies

• tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Forget the fads, the systems, the programs, etc. Find a way to eat a little better than you do now, and move a bit more than you do. Focus on small sustainable changes. Once you have that under control, move onto the next change. With out accepting permanent changes to your lifestyle, you'll always revert back to the 'old way' at least in my experience. I have been overweight my whole life. My highest weight was 374 in 2010. I got down to 260 in 2012 and I've been maintaining there ever since fairly effortlessly. I'm not where I want to be, but even my 'bad' days now are infinitely better than a normal day a couple years ago. Find foods that you love to eat that aren't as bad for you as some of the other ones you love to eat. Find something that gives you a work out that doesn't feel like exercise. You can do this! Just take it one small change at a time.
  • BabsyGirl
    BabsyGirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    While I don't have hundreds to lose, I have 100 to lose (as least), in order to be a "healthy BMI". While that's not my goal, having me some babies is! So I completely understand your motivation, to get it off and KEEP it off... last thing I want is a healthy body before pregnancy and to have all he weight back on after... so I getcha! :)

I've steadily gained since high school. I was a size 16 in 2002 when I graduated. Now I fit a 22-24, and I am not one iota happy about it. I don't know what it's like to go to a store and buy a smaller size than the last time I was there. There was only one point where I LOST about 30 lbs, and that was over one summer when I both walked everywhere, and had a thing for high heels - good combo if you want weight loss AND beautiful legs! (And who wouldn't?? LOL)

I will suggest one thing... kick the diets. Honestly. You need a permanent change, and diet's aren't geared for that. My husband and I are eating clean, which is more of a lifestyle change. We're not eating processed foods, fast food, or any "man made" foods (think of Oreos v.s. home-made cookies! Home-made still have the sugar, flour, etc, but they're not "manufactured" and taste a hell of alot better! :-)

Look into it. I highly recommend it! There is an "Eat-Clean Diet" book out there by Tosca Reno, and even one for Men (which my husband adores, as it contains what he refers to as "real food" LOL)

It's called a "diet" for the sake of the book, but really it's nothing like any diet you've ever seen and if you stick to it, you will lose it and keep it off!
  • tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    YES...CLICK ON THE GROUPS TAB AND THERE IS A GROUP CALLED LETS GET PROUD 100+ to loose..come join us..weare here for you:flowerforyou:
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You came to the right spot for motivation and inspiration!! I have seen many other members with your same goal. Hang in there and stay positive!!
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations for not giving in to weight loss surgery! A co worker lost 178 pounds and gained most of it back after
    lap band surgery. It's expensive to have and maintain, it was suggested to me by two of my MD's and I told them I was doing
    fine with Weight Watchers, thank you very much. I've gone from 346 to 183 over a period of time, and I'm a compulsive over eater
    also. I want food even when I'm really full. Go to your food diary and plan your food menu every day, MFP is an incredible tool.
    I have been able to stay in control much better since starting and the wonderful people on here have great advice and a kind
    word if you have problems. Feel free to add me as your friend, Good Luck and hang in there!
    Linda
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Nearly two years ago, I topped the scaled at 376 pounds. I went to a school event with my daughter, and had a hard time getting to the door, and once inside, I had to sit down because I was so out of shape and it was so hard for me to move around. I had the nerve to complain that they made us park too far away. SItting on the floor, with everyone having to make their way around me was when I decided something had to change.

I didn't think I could lose the weight on my own, so I went to see a bariatric surgeon to see about getting the lap-band done. He told me I'd have to lose 90 pounds before they'd do the surgery. I was scared to death I wouldn't be able to do that since my track record to that point hadn't been very good.

Here I am, it'll be 2 years on April 21, and I've lost 118.5 pounds all on my own, without bariatric surgery. I've since borrowed a line from someone I know who's lost over 100 pounds relating to how I did it: I hired the right people. I've been seeing nutritionists, behavior coaches, therapists, trainers, etc. Yes, it's gotten up there in cost, but I'd say whatever it is is working and well worth it.

I still have about 115 to lose. One of my nutritionists said that if you focus on lean, healthy protein, then the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty accurate.

If I can do this with insulin resistance and PCOS (huge hormone imbalances that make me want to eat), then anybody can do this....seriously! There's no magic bullet, and no fad diet will fix it. It all boils down to what you put in your body, and it's a lifestyle - there's no "once you get to goal weight you can eat whatever you want" - this has to be for the rest of your life, or the weight will come right back on.

If I've learned anything from this journey, I do miss that person I was....I miss how much fun it was to eat things. I took such joy in it....the textures, the flavors, the crunchie things, the gooey things....now things don't taste the same as I remember them tasting. Gail Simmons once was asked how she was able to maintain her figure given that she's a judge on such shows as Top Chef. She said her job is to taste things. Anything beyond a few bites is eating. I try to remember that. Food has a different role in my life than it used to....it used to be such a source of comfort, and now it isn't, or at least not to the same degree.

My therapist laughed at me and asked if things tick me off more than they used to - I said of course they do. He said that's because I'm not relying on food to take the pain away anymore - I'm learning to deal with things differently.

Sorry for posting a novel - didn't expect it to play out like this. Point is: you can do this. You've done it before, you can do it again - and this time for keeps!!. Hire the right people. If you have to narrow it down due to cost: two people I'd see would be a nutritionist and a therapist - yes, both of them if possible.

For what it's worth, and good luck!!
  • brentalanrhodes
    brentalanrhodes Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is the place! There are many people here that have lost 100+. You can do it just like they did!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Where there is a will there is a way... Surgery alone is not a good option.. but it may be a tool that will help you lose all the weight you want. For me I have done a lot of work during the past few years getting my head straight. I lost 70 pounds before I had VSG weight loss surgery. It was the right decision for ME as I really need this surgery to help me with portion control. YOU may discover that you don't need the surgery after all though.. Once you get your head right and get on your journey you may not need it.. but if you do, then there is nothing wrong with getting it done... as long as your head is in the right place and you are dedicated to maintaining the diet and exercise necessary to be successful. Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix.. but it can be enough to "take the edge off" for some people.
  • barbage
    barbage Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm right there with you. I've never heard the phrase "Compulsive Overeater" but that is definitely what I am. I'm just starting again for the millionth time. I am back at my high weight of 324. I lost about 60 pounds three years ago, but now it is all back. I'm determined not to get past 325.
  • ijustwanttolive
    ijustwanttolive Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone for your kind words, support, and motivation. I really appreciate it. I was scared to post because of how much weight I have to lose, but it's nice to know that my fears were just silly. There are very few people in my real life that I tell how much I actually have to lose to, even though most people in my life can obviously see I have a lot to lose and most are very supportive of me.

Right now I'm just getting back into the habit of tracking everything I eat and adding extra movement to my days. Baby steps. I may fall off track, but I have never ever given up and I won't give up until I reach my goals...even if it takes a very long time.

Thank you again everyone and congrats to all of you for your successes!!!
  • ijustwanttolive
    Options
    My highest weight was 374 in 2010. I got down to 260 in 2012 and I've been maintaining there ever since fairly effortlessly. I'm not where I want to be, but even my 'bad' days now are infinitely better than a normal day a couple years ago. Find foods that you love to eat that aren't as bad for you as some of the other ones you love to eat. Find something that gives you a work out that doesn't feel like exercise. You can do this! Just take it one small change at a time.

That is wonderful, congrats on your weight loss so far and I love your positive attitude about it.
  • ijustwanttolive
    Options
    I will suggest one thing... kick the diets. Honestly. You need a permanent change, and diet's aren't geared for that. My husband and I are eating clean, which is more of a lifestyle change. We're not eating processed foods, fast food, or any "man made" foods (think of Oreos v.s. home-made cookies! Home-made still have the sugar, flour, etc, but they're not "manufactured" and taste a hell of alot better! :-)

Look into it. I highly recommend it! There is an "Eat-Clean Diet" book out there by Tosca Reno, and even one for Men (which my husband adores, as it contains what he refers to as "real food" LOL)

It's called a "diet" for the sake of the book, but really it's nothing like any diet you've ever seen and if you stick to it, you will lose it and keep it off!

I'm definitely done with the fad diets/diet crazes, this is a lifestye change...somethng I need to do for LIFE. I think Nutrisystem worked well for me since it was basically heat and eat and the portions were the right size...the problem was I didn't follow through with the right portion sizes afterward. I know many people who have kept it off, but they kept up with the portion sizes. My aunt paid for a few months for me to get back on track, but I'm adding my own meals in as well trying to work on portion sizes. Thank you for the book suggestion, I will look in to it.
  • ijustwanttolive
    Options
    YES...CLICK ON THE GROUPS TAB AND THERE IS A GROUP CALLED LETS GET PROUD 100+ to loose..come join us..weare here for you:flowerforyou:

Thank you! :)
  • ijustwanttolive
    Options
    You came to the right spot for motivation and inspiration!! I have seen many other members with your same goal. Hang in there and stay positive!!

Thank you...some days are a struggle knowing how much I have to lose, but maybe one day I can help someone else just by getting through my own journey.
  • ijustwanttolive
    Options
    I've gone from 346 to 183 over a period of time, and I'm a compulsive over eater also. I want food even when I'm really full. Go to your food diary and plan your food menu every day, MFP is an incredible tool.
    I have been able to stay in control much better since starting and the wonderful people on here have great advice and a kind
    word if you have problems. Feel free to add me as your friend, Good Luck and hang in there!
    Linda

That is awesome Linda, congrats on your success!!! Thank you for the welcome as well. :)
  • ijustwanttolive
    Options
    Here I am, it'll be 2 years on April 21, and I've lost 118.5 pounds all on my own, without bariatric surgery. I've since borrowed a line from someone I know who's lost over 100 pounds relating to how I did it: I hired the right people. I've been seeing nutritionists, behavior coaches, therapists, trainers, etc. Yes, it's gotten up there in cost, but I'd say whatever it is is working and well worth it.

I still have about 115 to lose. One of my nutritionists said that if you focus on lean, healthy protein, then the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty accurate.

Thank you for the novel, such a wonderful story and congrats on your success!

I have looked in to surgery as a tool (back in 2004 I didn't want to hear it and I was smaller then!), but much like you, I've been told that I will need to lose weight to even have it. For me, it's 177 pounds (ironically my goal weight!). I figure if I can lose 177 on my own, I can probably lose ALL of it on my one (since that would be slightly less than half of the weight I need to lose), but I'm open to any and all possibilities at this point, we shall see how I feel when I get there.

Keep up the good work, you've done amazing!!!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Thank you...some days are a struggle knowing how much I have to lose, but maybe one day I can help someone else just by getting through my own journey.
    You only have to lose 1 pound at a time. My goal is always to weigh less next week than I do now. Don't focus on the total It is too overwhelming. Just 1 pound is enough.
  • ijustwanttolive
    Options
    This is the place! There are many people here that have lost 100+. You can do it just like they did!

Thank you, you are right, I WILL!!! :)
  • wagenerbishop
    Options
    Here I go again. I have taken this journey two other times in my life. Both times after giving birth I dropped 50 lbs. Whilst I do not have a 100 lbs to lose It is a significant amount and pretty close to it. Since quitting smoking and a couple rounds of depression I have ballooned up to 247. My goal is reach 190 again so I can fit into all those beautiful clothes I have hanging in my closet. My experience with food has been a love affair of sorts. I love to cook and create and EAT. I also understand non stop eating. I could feel my body becoming a eating machine. The more I ate the more I could digest. I have just recently been looking at photos of myself when I was in my 20's. I remember thinking how fat I was back then when the reality was I was hot! Now I'm pushing 50 and my metabolism seems to have come to a complete stop. I will however not let that deter me from achieving my goal and living and eating the way I want to. That means I must exercise and exercise in order to enjoy the food I want. So far I have dropped 12 lbs in 4 weeks. So here I go again.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

You only have to lose 1 pound at a time. My goal is always to weigh less next week than I do now. Don't focus on the total It is too overwhelming. Just 1 pound is enough.

This advice from Laura, seriously gets me through some days.