30 Day Shred

Options
Just curious. For those of you who are doing/have done the 30 day shred, how do you log it under exercise? Also, what's the best combination with diet and the shred to lose the maximum amount of weight in the shortest time? I was doing low carb along with the shred but am not seeing much of a difference. I know that I'm probably building lean muscle too so it's probably stalling the loss on the scale.

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Go to Jilian Michaels' website. Her meal plan should get you the best results. I log her programs as circuit training, but a heart rate monitor is best because the calories burned can still be inaccurate. How long have you been doing it? It usually takes a couple weeks before for lbs come off. When I start a new workout program I always have water retention but it goes away. Take you measurements.
  • thornykat84
    Options
    Today is day 9 of level 1. So far, I lost 3 lbs and gained back 1.5 ::sigh:: I know some of it is probably water retention in my muscles from soreness, and some of the loss may have been because I just had AF last week. It's just hard not to get discouraged, especially when you're giving it all you've got.
  • danilynn2
    danilynn2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 10 Level 2. I am seeing a difference (and my hubby keeps complimenting me too) in my body and I have lost 3 inches total, but the pounds aren't shredding.
    Remember, since you are most likely building muscle, you may not see much of a change in the scale but take your measurements, you WILL see a difference there! :)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I log it as circuit training. I started it for the second time last night. I eat at TDEE minus 20% and had great results.

Her meal plan looks effective, but it wouldn't fit my life because my husband and kids would never eat it. I have to compromise my healthy choices with things they like to eat too.

You really need to find a meal plan you can stick with, you don't want to undo your progress with unsustainable eating habits.

ETA: I agree with the other posters about taking measurements, you may not lose scale weight but the difference in your body will amaze you.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I found online that if you commit to the 30 Day Shred, it burns roughly 250 calories. I cant afford a heart rate monitor. I do lunges and squats with weights afterwards aswell as crunches etc.
  • CrimeanGurl
    CrimeanGurl Posts: 103
    Options
    I am on day 26 of the 30 Day Shred, and have seen pretty good results. You can check out side by side comparison before 30DS, after Level 1 and Level 2 on my blog (http://votavitamea.com/2013/03/20/30-day-shred-day-20/). I am not counting calories or macronutrient ratios. All I do is eat 100% clean Paleo and follow 8/16 eating schedule.
  • everythings_rosie
    Options
    Whats an 8/16 eating schedule?
  • CrimeanGurl
    Options
    It is an intermittent fasting technique. You try to limit all of your food consumption to an 8 hour interval. For me, it works out to not eating after 6pm and having breakfast around 10am, but you can pick any interval you like.
  • everythings_rosie
    Options
    Ah iv heard of this actually. I think a friend used to only eat between 1-6 but fast the rest of them time.
  • CrimeanGurl
    Options
    Yes, there are many different variations. Some claim that not eating after 6 is a diet myth, but I am pretty sure the rate of my weight loss has increased since I've adopted this technique.
  • everythings_rosie
    Options
    How does this work when you are eating out? Do yuo change your hours for that day? I very rarely eat after 6pm. Do you have much more to lose?
  • CrimeanGurl
    Options
    How does this work when you are eating out? Do yuo change your hours for that day? I very rarely eat after 6pm. Do you have much more to lose?

I have not weighed myself since March 1st. Back then I was 146.6 and wanted to lose about 20lbs. By the look of my progress shots, I think I might have lost 5-6 pounds, so there is about 15lbs to go. This being said, I am not fixated on the numbers. If I am happy with the way I look at a higher weight, I most certainly won't be trying to lose more just to reach a magic 125lbs mark.

I do tend change my hours on the days I eat out. While not eating after 6pm might be beneficial for losing weight a bit faster, breaking this rule is most certainly not going to make one gain anything. Since I usually eat out on Fridays or Saturdays, I tend to sleep in pretty late, which naturally moves my breakfast to a later hour and allows to keep up with 8/16 schedule.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm on level 2 day 9. Still pretty new to all this calorie counting business but I've just been keeping my total calories consumed between 1270-1400 per day. I don't worry about eating back exercise calories, I'll eat them if I'm hungry but if I've already had 3 meals with 2 snacks that day I won't try to eat my calories if I'm truly not hungry. It seems to be working for me, I've lost 30 lbs since Jan 1st. I'm 5'7'/8" and 210 lbs currently. I've been doing the shred six days a week with one rest day where I do another form of exercise since March 4th. I've lost 7 lbs so far but haven't measured since the end of Feb. I'm waiting to measure at the end. My clothes are definitely looser though. I log it under Curves Circuit Training because that gives me a more realistic calorie burn number than Circuit Training General (that overestimates calorie burn and I'd rather underestimate than overestimate.)