47 and starting menopause.......

Options
2»

Replies

• love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 54, and know definitely that it is harder to lose! I had about 15 -20 pounds I wanted to lose. I started in August, and slowly but surely, have lost 16 pounds. If I don't lose any more, I'm good with it, because I feel so much better. I did lose it slowly, but consistently lost each week, maybe only a half pound or so. After many years of yo-yo dieting, this is the first time, I feel like I'm regularly making wise choices. I didn't do the MFP recommendation of 1200 calories per day, because I felt that wasn't enough. I keep it between 1400 -1500, and exercise 4 days a week. I think losing it slowly has helped me and I hope you will be encouraged to not give up!
  • josibrunet
    Options
    I AM 46 AND IN THE SAME PLACE. I HAVE BEEN ON THIS FOR 6 WEEKS , I MAKE BETTER CHOICES NOW THAT I SEE WHAT I AM EATING. AND I HAVE LOST 8 POUNDS AND I AM NEVER HUNGRY. I WANT TO LOOSE 16 MORE POUNDS
  • Mbrowne55
    Mbrowne55 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 50 and experiencing many of the issues mentioned in this thread. I have been menopausal for about a year and a half and between the night sweats and hot flashes, it can be very discouraging. Who knew it was gonna be like this?

However, I am not sure I can blame my weight on menopause as I have struggled with the same 30-40 lbs for 30 years! I lose 'em, I gain 'em.....sick of that!

I've been on MFP for a month now and have lost 11 lbs so far....(my ticker is out by 2). I have done it by eating approx. 1500 healthy cal. a day and trying to do some exercise everyday. Sometimes it's the elliptical or spin bike, a walk with the dogs, or even the Jillian Michaels videos. I am just trying to do something physical every day!

I do think its tougher to lose at our age and my biggest shortcoming is patience....not one of my strengths! I'll be checking this thread for encouragement. We can do it! Summer is coming.
  • threeofmyown
    threeofmyown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, including OP. I am also peri menopausal. Feel free to add me as a friend too! We can all do this together! Does anyone here have a fitbit?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    when i went to the doctor last year, she said it was great that i'd lost some weight, because during menopause i was going to gain some back. :-(

I don't think the weight gain has to be inevitable.
    I'm 46 and at goal weight with a adequate work out routine.
    No, I'm not going to ever squat 400# or be a swim suit model but I don't need to get fugly in my 40s and 50s either! :noway:
  • June2268
    June2268 Posts: 37
    Options
    You gals are the best!!! Looking forward to working with each and every one of you to help us through this journey!
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, soon to be 44. I am fighting the belly fat, finding it very hard to lose any weight even tho I'm usually very active.

Dr thinks I may be beginning perimenopause. Please add me! I need some support!!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies

I am 48 and just starting to acknowledge the signs of peri-menopause! Going through my first skipped cycle with all the signs but no flow!

Feel free to add me, it's always nice to know we are not alone going through this.

There is a near or menopause group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

Karen
  • tayllis123
    Options
    Just got on MFP because I also am having difficulties losing weight being in peri menopause.... I need to stay motivated and reading yous comments help me a lot. Looking forward to reading your tips and sharing this adventure.
  • wonlife
    wonlife Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

45 and going through perimenopause as well. Went for my yearly physical today and I've gained 17 lbs in a year! I've been off MFP for about a year and decided to get back to it since I can't afford (or want) to buy new clothes.
    What stinks is that the year I turned 40 I lost 70 lbs training to walk in a half marathon. I've now gained around 35 lbs. back in the last year and a half.
    Anyone who wants to add me, please do! I need all the support I can get and would love to be a part of a group of ladies going through the same struggles. :)
  • happydispatcher
    happydispatcher Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 47 as well and have been menopausal for about a year. I had a tubal ligation after having my son when I was 41 and have had issues since then. Back in 2000 I lost 96lbs doing WW and gained most of it back. Since beginning menopause I have had a very hard time losing weight. I have issues with body aches, pains, fatigue during and after workouts. Recently I too began to read about calorie intake (BMR and TDEE) and discovered I wasn't eating enough. This past week I have upped my calorie intake and am anxious to see how it goes.
    Anyone can feel free to add me. I am just beginning my journey that will be life long for me (in order to do this right)!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, including OP. I am also peri menopausal. Feel free to add me as a friend too! We can all do this together! Does anyone here have a fitbit?
    Yep, I have one and love it. I'll add you as a friend.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Ok so I am on week 4 and have only lost 2 lbs.......I was wondering if there were any ladies out there my age and we could encourage each other.....friend me and possibly help me along the way and I will do the same for you.....I find that this is the very first time that losing weight is so darn hard as other times I never had a problem, it has to be the age.

Hi! I turned 47 last month. This is the first time it's ever been so difficult for me as well! Feel free to add me =)

I got very busy arranging to relocate my family out of state last year. After we were all settled, I realized one day I had gained 15 pounds. I joined MFP in December, and the pounds have been slow to come off. In the past 3 1/2 months I've lost 6 pounds, but not steadily. The scale has been a bit of a roller coaster ride :grumble: :laugh:

Luckily, when I was signing up here a friend suggested that I record my measurements. So I did on the day I joined MFP and re-measure each month. I'm so glad I took her suggestion! Unlike the scale, the measuring tape has steadily been requiring less slack to get around me :happy: Yes, the measuring tape has been much kinder and consistent than the scale :happy:
  • peepsqueek
    peepsqueek Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just turned 47 years young but haven't started Menopause yet but find it harder to lose the weight :cry: I had a Hysterectomy about 5 years ago but still have my ovaries so I get all the symptoms just no periods. I do have a Fitbit :happy: Every little bit helps lol .

So true about the scale.... I find the scale hasn't moved as much as I would like but I took measurements as well and I find I am losing inches slowly but I will take that :tongue:

Anyone can add me if you like :flowerforyou: