Love Handles..

Options
mjlong
mjlong Posts: 73 Member
I have had love handles my whole life, they never seem to go away! Anyone know of any exercises to help remove them? I am already running/cardio 3 times a week but not helping...

Replies

• AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You need to be incorporating strength training with your cardio...
    Are you on pinterest? If so, look at their fitness boards. There are so many AMAZING workouts for the midsection on there. All of the stuff I do now is based on stuff I saw on those boards. I also use Ripped in 30 and 30 day shred and they have helped a ton as well.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have (shrinking) love handles as well. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to spot-reduce. The best way to get rid of 'em is to make sure you're eating 500-1000 calories less than your body is burning every day. At least, that's what's working for me :-)

And strength training as well! I agree with Amber about the Jillian videos.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire got rid of mine.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, you just need to eat a caloric deficit and wait.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    just keep lowering that body fat percentage and eventually they'll come off
  • pobanion
    pobanion Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No such thing as spot reducing.. Once your total BF% is low enough, they will go away.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options

You can not spot reduce, but you can spot train. So while you need to maintain a caloric deficit you need to add strength training and more core focusing exercises.

Mason Twists
    Side Bends
    Bicycles
    Planks / Plank Jacks
    Mtn Climbers
    Burpees
  • j4zepedajj
    Options
    I cant get rid of mine.. NO MATTER WHAT!!! I am dieting! Running!! Doing core workout!!! They have gone down.. but I am still saddled like a pack mule!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    eat at a reasonable caloric deficit and incorporate weight training into your fitness regimen...and I'm not talking about 3 sets of 20 arm curls with 2.5 Lb dumbbells. I'm talking about actually lifting, with full body compound exercises being the core of your routine. You can't spot reduce, but you aren't going to tighten much of anything up with diet and cardio alone...you have to have a good resistance program.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    30 day shred :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

I didn't eat a deficit when I lost mine. At least not purposely. Not really sure how it works when you lose inches and reduce BF% but still gain 2 lbs.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I cant get rid of mine.. NO MATTER WHAT!!! I am dieting! Running!! Doing core workout!!! They have gone down.. but I am still saddled like a pack mule!!!

Word. I think it's genetics. The lower stomach bit and side back fat is the toughest to eliminate for me, too. I've got four good abs but wonder if I'll ever get rid of the spare tire.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo and also Windmill type excercises with a Kettlebell
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    side bends, side bends, side bends (I use 3 pound weights) twists, and crunches with your knees kept low. My doctor said running is the best way to lose inches around your core and hips. I usually do the side bends, crunches and twists, then go for a run/jog/brisk walk (depending how I feel) for at least a mile, every other day. If that's where you carry your weight (like me), it will be a long, hard road, but it will work if you stick to it.
  • RGv2
    Options

You can not spot reduce, but you can spot train. So while you need to maintain a caloric deficit you need to add strength training and more core focusing exercises.

Mason Twists
    Side Bends
    Bicycles
    Planks / Plank Jacks
    Mtn Climbers
    Burpees

Core exercises won't do anything to get rid of lovehandles, just say'n.
  • RGv2
    Options
    side bends, side bends, side bends (I use 3 pound weights) twists, and crunches with your knees kept low. My doctor said running is the best way to lose inches around your core and hips. I usually do the side bends, crunches and twists, then go for a run/jog/brisk walk (depending how I feel) for at least a mile, every other day. If that's where you carry your weight (like me), it will be a long, hard road, but it will work if you stick to it.

Side bends actually don't fire the obiques.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit, work out, find pants that fit looser around the hips in the meantime....
  • bcattoes
    Options

Mason Twists
    Side Bends
    Bicycles
    Planks / Plank Jacks
    Mtn Climbers
    Burpees

Why won't they? They burn calories.
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Okay I will add some strenght training and my calories are at a deficit about 700 daily. I have about 8 pounds left I need to lose and its all hanging around my hips. But I will keep going!
  • RGv2
    Options

Mason Twists
    Side Bends
    Bicycles
    Planks / Plank Jacks
    Mtn Climbers
    Burpees

Why won't they? They burn calories.

They won't isolate any loss to the lovehandles, and they really don't burn that much.