Trying to lose 60 lbs

Options
My name is Chris, I have been excercising consistantly 3x a week since Late Dec to early Jan to now. I have gone from riding the upright bike for 30 minutes and going 5 miles to now where i ride for 45 minutes and go 12 miles. this is week two now of 36 miles a week. i already am on a 1500 calorie a day diet and have been since January. I have yet to lose a sinlge pound. Very frustrating at times. My next step w...hen i get a little more motivated is to increase 5 days a week instead of 3 and add a new type of workout into the extra days. I have plantar fasciates so any type of excercise that invlove my feet impacting anything is out. My goal is weight loss not muscle gain or anything that produces weight gain. i am at 215 and want to be 155.

Replies

• lorilynne66
    lorilynne66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is WAY too low...you need to check that...no wonder you aren't losing! You have to eat to lose, just eat the good stuff. I am curious to know what you eat.
  • stephstg
    stephstg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1500 sounds low... If you don't eat enough, your body will stay in starvation mode. I'm a 19y/o female, 227lbs 5'8 and I eat about 16,00-2,000 daily, workout 7x a week, and lose a steady 2lbs a week... maybe look at what you're eating.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am a 46 year old female eating 1,650 and not working out much right now and losing. You NEED far more calories to lose weight your body is shutting down. You can add me if you want tough love support.
  • gretaforprez
    Options
    Yes, remember that your body is burning a lot of calories on the bike and alone your body burns about 2700 calories a day just sitting. If you aren't taking in enough calories your body will store its fat like it's in starvation mode. I would suggest increasing your calories to 1800 a day and give it two weeks. If still nothing try 2000.

Good luck!
  • chrispmeeks
    Options
    Here is what I eat every day:
    GNC lean shake,
    Banana,
    1 pack of crackers,
    1 greek yogurt,
    1 pita shell,
    1 cup of spinach,
    2 slices of cheese,
    2 pickle slices
    4 slices of chicken breast or ham,
    a multivitamin,
    crystal light throughout the day.
    Then dinner which I typically eat chicken breast, and some sort of side.
    - I consume about 84 ounces a day of various fluid. None of them have sugar in them.
    - The weekend differs, but usually in that i eat less.
    - using the calorie counter on here this is like 1660 calories) on days i workout i have a granola bar after working out.)
    I crossed a threshold on the biked last night too, I increased my level of difficluty up 2 levels and then biked 13 miles in 45 minutes and burned 378 calories
  • ryanrieb
    ryanrieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im suprised that you are only eating 1500 calories a day. This cannot be what MFP has reccomended to you. Have you edited your profile and stats and made sure you've chosen the correct activity level? I am "lightly active," I go to the gym 3x a week for an hour each time. I weigh 310 and am 6'4... MFP says that i should be eating 2640 each day. In order to loose 3lbs a week you need to have a defecit of 1500 calories a day...Essentially you could eat 3000 calories a day and as long as you burn 4500 calories a day you will loose weight. Keep in mind that you have to account for your BMR into the calories burned also, its not just what you work off at the gym.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, 1500 is way too low for you. Especially working out as much as you do. I was eating a very low calorie diet for a long time and it worked in the beginning, but then I hit a wall and was actually gaining on less than 1200 cal/day. After biting the bullet and increasing my calories, I did gain 6 pounds very quickly. I stuck with it though and those 6 pounds are now gone and I am losing weight again. Something I found to be very helpful was to use the calculator at http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ I really believe now that to be successful in the long term you have to fuel your body properly. After all...your car wont go with no gas in it! Bestof luck to you!
  • chrispmeeks
    Options
    "After all...your car wont go with no gas in it!"

My question with this statement is, don't you want to limit your intake so that your body burns your excess fat for energy? It seems like eating way more will prevent your body from burning your fat and will instead burn your food, thus defeating the purpose. I do understand the theory of starvation mode, but it seems like i could just eat celery all day to keep my body digesting to keep my metabolism up.
  • mpizzle421
    mpizzle421 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "After all...your car wont go with no gas in it!"

My question with this statement is, don't you want to limit your intake so that your body burns your excess fat for energy? It seems like eating way more will prevent your body from burning your fat and will instead burn your food, thus defeating the purpose.

Yep. You need to create a deficit. Everyone is different. Your body is unique. There are however standards that people start with, and the one you started with is quite a bit lower than the recommendation for a man of your age/size.
    I do understand the theory of starvation mode, but it seems like i could just eat celery all day to keep my body digesting to keep my metabolism up.

"Starvation Mode" is just a simple way of saying that your body compensates for a heavy calorie deficit by slowing down the metabolism (the dreaded feeding on muscle, burning fewer calories, storing fat, whatever). It's a debated subject, but regardless, chewing on celery wouldn't help.

I personally have a hard time believing you're eating 1500 calories a day and not losing weight. You either suffer from a medical condition/on medication that makes weight loss extremely difficult, or you aren't counting correctly.

Alternatively, If by 1500 calories you mean net, you could be grossly over-estimating the calories you're burning through activity.

That's not to say you should be eating 1500 calories. As other posters have said, it would probably be better to eat more (for the sake of energy level), but you should be seeing weight loss at that kind of deficit).

If you're confident in your calorie counting, I would strongly suggest consulting a doctor before continuing. Have some blood work done to be on the safe side.
  • donnaj46
    donnaj46 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hang in there. You need to rev up your metabolism. How active are you during the day otherwise? You might try The Body Reset Diet by Harley Pasternak. It is a 15 day metabolism kick off. I know how hard it is to move with foot pain, but his program suggests you get a pedometer. Also wearing the proper foot support helps tremendously (been there), get a really good shoe insert and wear shoes all day long for support.
  • chrispmeeks
    Options
    lets see I commute and hour each way to work and i have a desk job. I get to workout the last 45 minutes of work though. then the drive home. So up at 5:20 am leave for work 5:50 am get to work at 10 till 7:00 am. then work till 3:45 pm work out till 4:30 pm. Drive home and am home by 5:35ish. help around house get to bed by 10:30 ish. 7:30 to 10 pm it is couch time.

mind you I have a 2 and 3 yr old so the wife wants me home all the time to help with them.