New lady here! =]=]

Options
Heyyy! My name is Megan and I am trying to lose some weight! Woo! I have NO motivation. lol. I am trying really hard to remember and to stay under my goal. Yesterday i did very good, and today i'm doing alright so far. I keep reading different posts that people arn't eating enough. So i have a question as a newbie! I am 5'2, 152lbs. It says my calorie goal is 1200. Is that to little? Any advice i can get will be great! Also what does everyone else do to help lose weight? I will take all the pointers i can get! =]=]

Replies

• ajenquin11
    Options
    Hey there Megan,
    I am also 5'2" with a low calorie goal. I am up to 150 ish as well because of a new medication (gained 15 pounds in a month :/). I just joined up today and I could use some help. Motivate each other?
  • Kcapitano
    Kcapitano Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I think that is too low to start off, only because your body and metabolism is not used to such a small calorie intake. It told me my goal is 1200 calories a day too, and with the way I exercise, that is in no way enough. It really all depends on how quickly you are looking to lose weight. I would go for long term goals (aka lifestyle change) rather than just shed weight quickly (trust me... you will gain it back plus some). :-) Focus on meaningful workouts, and health nutrition... (as little processed foods as possible). GOOD LUCK!

Katie
    Beach Physique Personal Training
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty low to be on for an extended period of time. You may want to check with your doctor or a dietitian. My niece is a dietitian and they have some formulas that can help give you an idea of where you should start. Everybody's metabolism is a little different so using an arbitrary calorie number can be counter productive and can be unhealthy.
  • witts157
    witts157 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty low to be on for an extended period of time. You may want to check with your doctor or a dietitian. My niece is a dietitian and they have some formulas that can help give you an idea of where you should start. Everybody's metabolism is a little different so using an arbitrary calorie number can be counter productive and can be unhealthy.

Any idea what those formulas are? Can you find out for the ones who are struggling with what the proper calorie intake is for them?
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I like to use a calorie defiicit calculator (http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php) that takes into account your age, gender, height, current weight and activity level. Here is the information for you (sedendary activity):

Daily calorie needs - 1785
    15% deficit - 1517
    20% deficit - 1428
    25% deficit - 1339
    30% deficit - 1250

I would probably try to hit a number between 1250 and 1517 for weight loss.

I do agree, you may want to talk to your doctor or a dietician.
  • bushel
    bushel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with some others that 1200 calories per day is too little for an extended period--like more that 2 weeks. It also depends on how much you exercise. It's not that exercise itself burns that many calories, but it does seem to rev up the metabolism. Plus, it makes one feel soooo much better! I try to stick to 10,000 calories per week and not worry so much about whether it's 1300 a day or 1600. Ha! that way my body doesn't know what to expect!