Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I've been doing this for a while now. I lost 60 lbs and now I've been stuck in about the same spot for months. I usually eat around 1400 calories, some days more, for example if you look at my diary- this weekend was my birthday so I went a little crazy Saturday.

This is my workout plan. I'm working on C25k Mon. Wed, and Fri. 30 Day shred Monday-Friday mornings except Thursdays. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have class til about 10 pm so Thursdays are my rest days, I just do a short Leslie Sansone video and Tuesdays are 30 DS and Zumba wii before work. Saturday and Sunday I go to the gym and do different cardio machines for about 1.5 hours.

What am I doing wrong? Everyone always tells people who post like this to eat more, but I feel like I am eating enough. Most of those people eat less than 1200, and I make sure I never go below 1200.

Replies

• lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to increase the intensity of your exercise or exercise for a longer period of time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's quite possible you need more calories. 1400 is a bit low for someone that seems a bit active. Have you tried to increase calories by another 200-300 per day? Sometimes a less aggressive calorie deficit is more beneficial.
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    Honestly, I don't feel like I have time to go longer. Between my morning video and my eveing trip to the gym, that adds up to 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, the other 2 days its 45 minutes. It just sounds like that should be enough. Maybe I'm wrong? I even got a heart rate monitor to track the calories burned more accurately. I've read that it's best to stay within the fat burning zone, so I try to stay in that zone, for me it's 140ish-157 bpm. I usually do stay in there except when I'm running since that's still new.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    I've been doing this for a while now. I lost 60 lbs and now I've been stuck in about the same spot for months. I usually eat around 1400 calories, some days more, for example if you look at my diary- this weekend was my birthday so I went a little crazy Saturday.

This is my workout plan. I'm working on C25k Mon. Wed, and Fri. 30 Day shred Monday-Friday mornings except Thursdays. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have class til about 10 pm so Thursdays are my rest days, I just do a short Leslie Sansone video and Tuesdays are 30 DS and Zumba wii before work. Saturday and Sunday I go to the gym and do different cardio machines for about 1.5 hours.

What am I doing wrong? Everyone always tells people who post like this to eat more, but I feel like I am eating enough. Most of those people eat less than 1200, and I make sure I never go below 1200.

On the weekend you should try doing less or the same amount at a higher intensity with your regular routine in a different order or completely different machines altogether, and you should try varying your calorie intake ie. One day 500 more, one day 300 less. Sometimes these methods quick start weight loss, good luck :)
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    I have thought about upping my calories but it makes me nervous. I'm afraid I'll try it for too long and gain a bunch of weight back. How long should I try it to see if it works? Would a week be long enough?
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How long having you been doing your workout routine?
    A lot of what I've been reading is that our bodies adjust to what we've been putting it through (diet/workout). If you've been doing the same routine for a while, maybe you should try to change it up a bit, maybe pick a different video, or a different running path?

Good Luck!
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    How long having you been doing your workout routine?
    A lot of what I've been reading is that our bodies adjust to what we've been putting it through (diet/workout). If you've been doing the same routine for a while, maybe you should try to change it up a bit, maybe pick a different video, or a different running path?

Good Luck!

I started this a couple weeks ago. I restarted 30 DS this weekend because I got distracted last time and didn't make it past level 1. And I'm on week 3 of c25k.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have thought about upping my calories but it makes me nervous. I'm afraid I'll try it for too long and gain a bunch of weight back. How long should I try it to see if it works? Would a week be long enough?

No a week isn't going to be long enough. From what I have read you need to try it for a couple of weeks at the minimum.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You generally want to give stuff a month before adapting. Also, adding 200 calories wouldn't make you exceed your TDEE so you won't gain any fat.
  • lynnhearl
    lynnhearl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I meet with a diet consultant every 5-7 days and he is constantly telling me that I am not eating enough for the amount of workout I do. I am currently training for a 1/2 marathon so I train 1-2 hrs 5 days a week, mostly cardio and some weights. He tweeks the food intake before/after my workouts. Here are a few tips:

get some protein in before your workout, not too much to upset your stomach
    get some protein in within 1/2 hour of your workout, prefer liquid because the body can absorb quickly.
    watch your sodium intake
    introduce a complex carb in every meal, brown breads, brown rice, steel oats
    slightly increase your calories on days you work out using proteins and complex carbs

you dont want your body to stress and feel like it is starving. this is very difficult to do. good luck, hope this helps!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    what are your stats... height, weight, age, bf% (estimate)? can't tell you how much you should be eating if i don't know anything about you!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to increase the intensity of your exercise or exercise for a longer period of time.

this is not very good advice. you are already working out like a maniac. i would suggest cutting back on the cardio and do some heavy weight lifting. you might not see the numbers on the scale go down, but you will definitely feel/see the difference in your body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio here. You're more than likely not eating enough calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lindsienygaard
    Options
    what are your stats... height, weight, age, bf% (estimate)? can't tell you how much you should be eating if i don't know anything about you!

Height 5'6. Weight is 195, it was 256 I've come a long way, but not long enough. Just turned 23 a few days ago! I have a fancy scale that says my bf% is 31, not sure if thats correct or not.
  • lindsienygaard
    Options

this is not very good advice. you are already working out like a maniac. i would suggest cutting back on the cardio and do some heavy weight lifting. you might not see the numbers on the scale go down, but you will definitely feel/see the difference in your body.

I love cardio it'll be hard for me to give some up. I'm also scared of the weight room. Too many big scary guys in there lol. I've learned over the lsat week how to use a few of the machines so I can def work that in to my schedule.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

No a week isn't going to be long enough. From what I have read you need to try it for a couple of weeks at the minimum.
    More like 4-6 weeks.

And I agree that you likely need more fuel, and I don't think you need to increase workout time at all. In fact your single rest day isn't really a rest day if you do a workout video that day, no matter how short. :tongue: Take a walk or something like that if you like, but an actual break from any sort of workout is a good thing.
  • lindsienygaard
    Options

More like 4-6 weeks.

And I agree that you likely need more fuel, and I don't think you need to increase workout time at all. In fact your single rest day isn't really a rest day if you do a workout video that day, no matter how short. :tongue: Take a walk or something like that if you like, but an actual break from any sort of workout is a good thing.

This video is just a 2 mile walking video. It really is nothing. I don't even break a sweat doing it anymore.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Height 5'6. Weight is 195, it was 256 I've come a long way, but not long enough. Just turned 23 a few days ago! I have a fancy scale that says my bf% is 31, not sure if thats correct or not.

You wil not like this answer, but it is the honest one. You are not eating nearly enough calories. I just ran your numbers and your TDEE is 2000 calories. Which means you would maintain your current weight at 2000. You need to NET 1550-1600 calories to lose weight. Lower than that puts a strain on your body that makes it hard to lose weight.

I know it is scary to increase your calories, because I had to go through that too, but it's part of the mindset change that goes along with being healthy. You can lose weight and eat plenty, and not feel deprived. It's great!

The method is to slowly up your calories by about 100 per week so that you don't feel like you are stuffing yourself and your hormones can adjust. Once you get to 1600 cals, sit there for a month and by the end of the month you should see the weight coming off. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Good luck!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change up your workout; switch days, intensity, and/or lift weights. Also, you should be netting around your BMR, it sounds like you don't eat enough. Hopefully, this is helpful. :flowerforyou: