Any other ladies out there who lift heavy?

Options

Replies

• curryandmango
    curryandmango Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Phew! :)

Now, how do you know if you have a standard 45# bar or a #35 bar in terms of appearance? There are some 'newer' bars that look like the 45# ones but they can be less.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    5'9 currently 150lbs trying to bulk eating 2170cals + 140 on lifting days (free protein shake basically). This is my 3rd week of lifting (7 sessions so far).

Squat: 55 (I strained a muscle and had to deload and start again)
    OHP: 45
    Bent over row: 60
    Bench press: 60
    Deadlift: 80

Edited to say that this is for StrongLifts 5x5. So these are the weights I can do 25 times.
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    5'4 136 lbs, just started lifting a few weeks ago but would love a lifting buddy!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Phew! :)

Now, how do you know if you have a standard 45# bar or a #35 bar in terms of appearance? There are some 'newer' bars that look like the 45# ones but they can be less.

You can't tell. I stood on the gym scale with and without my bar to check it.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Me! I love lifting! I had to take a break for about 3 months because of lymphadema in my arm, but I've been back at it for about a month. Before I took a break I was up to #90 on my squats and #120 on my deadlifts but I had to back off a bit since then because of the break, and I have some grip issues with my right hand due to the fluid in my arm. I'm just happy to be back at it again!

I started New Rules of Lifting for Women last summer, and started over again at stage one on 2/17/13. I lift 2x a week right now per my physical therapist reccomendation.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you are not alone

I love to pick up heavy things and put them down again
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Any favorite lifts of yours I should try?

Pendlay rows

I love them. yay!
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My wife's last 5x5 session. 140 squat, 55 overhead press, 125 dead lift, bench press 55, and barbell row 65.

She is 5'7" 150 lb.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This month i've started lifting heavy. I'm doing new rules for lifting.

Anyone is free to friend me for some support.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    5'7", 169 lbs. Started SL 5x5 on 2/15 @ 20 little ol' pounds on all lifts. (Never did this before...and I LOVE it!)

Am noticing a difference in strength, and appearance. (Never mind the measuring tape and scale numbers!)

Favorite lift? Tie between Squats and Deadlifts. :bigsmile:
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    boom!!

5'3" currently 142 - going for 130-135 (not too concerned on scale)

Dead 1RM - 270
    Squat 5x3 - 165
    Bench - 135
    Push Press - 130
    Clean - 115
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options

Pendlay rows

I love them. yay!

never heard of these...will look up!

Those who've done the SS or Stronglifts 5x5 vs the traditional 3x8, what have you found in the differences?
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Just set some PRs last night
    Squats - 100#
    Bench - 85#
    DL - 165#
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    5'11, 170

2 Rep Max:

Deadlift:185
    Squats: 205
    Bench: 135
    Squat to Press: 115

I'm on Stage 2 of NROWLFW
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Doo de doo, don't mind me - oh, this bar? Just carryin' it into the locker room to weigh it, totally normal, nothing to see here. :wink:
    ^Me at the gym. SO SMOOTH.

Oh and the 35-lb bar is a "ladies'" bar. Or so I've been told.

Right now I'm looking forward to Max Lift Day at my gym - I know it's sometime in April but I'm not sure when. My bench is probably around 110, and I have no idea on the squat or deadlift right now because I'm still trying to come back from a stupid ankle injury, but I'm hoping for 200 on the DL. I'm 5'4", 140 lbs.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 at home and have to do my squats and bench on a smith for now, but I think we're going to bite the bullet and toss the smith and get a power rack sometime this year. I'm progressing 5lbs on squats, 10 on deads and 2.5 on Bench, OHP and Rows.

Most recent weights were:
    Squat 175 (smith)
    Bench 102.5 (smith)
    OHP 67.5
    BB Row 95
    Deadlift 150 - learning proper form after switching from stiff-legged deadlifts
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Pendlay rows

I love them. yay!

never heard of these...will look up!

I hadn't, until it was recommended on another website to try them. They are not really that much different to regular barbell rows, and some consider Pendlay rows to be just barbell rows with proper form (including Mr Pendlay, who they are named after, as what he was trying to do was correct/improve the form of regular rows). But if you can find a good instructional video they are really great, they hit the muscles in a totally different way to how I was doing rows before, feels much more like a big compound exercise than regular barbell rows.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Meeeee!

I'm 5'7'', about 123 lbs
    can squat 125 lbs

A huge fan of Bulgarian Split Squats, Pendlay Rows, bench press ♥
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hello

I am 5ft 2" weigh 122lbs

Only just started lifting last Monday currently lifting 66lbs (30kg)

I do 4x 6 reps each of squats, dead-lifts and stiff leg dead-lifts

As well as TRX!

I LOVE IT!